Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

U-Joint Greasing Question

Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
HMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Hal
HMA's Tacoma Gallery
U-Joint Greasing Question

2010 DC LB 4x4. I searched and can't find an answer to this: I greased them for the first time today. I noticed that these U-Joints have a small hole in each "leg" near the bearings. As I pumped grease in, it came out of some, but not all the holes. I covered those that oozed with my fingers and was somehow able to pump the gun until it came out of the other one(s). The best I remember, greasable U-Joints I have dealt with in the past didn't have these holes. The grease came out of the bearing caps.

Questions:
DId I do the right thing?
Are they all like this?
The last few vehicles I have owned had sealed U-joints, why did Toyota use greasables?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Hmm. I never noticed any holes on my u joints.

I'm sure greased units last longer when maintained properly.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMA View Post
2010 DC LB 4x4. I searched and can't find an answer to this: I greased them for the first time today. I noticed that these U-Joints have a small hole in each "leg" near the bearings. As I pumped grease in, it came out of some, but not all the holes. I covered those that oozed with my fingers and was somehow able to pump the gun until it came out of the other one(s). The best I remember, greasable U-Joints I have dealt with in the past didn't have these holes. The grease came out of the bearing caps.

Questions:
DId I do the right thing?
Are they all like this?
The last few vehicles I have owned had sealed U-joints, why did Toyota use greasables?

yes u did the right thing. its quick and easy greae them till u see or hear the little grease coming out=done. yes they are all like that. and im not sure why toyta decided to use greasables.... actually on alot of the AWD models like the rav 4 or sienna have sealed u-joints... i dont get it either ha. but yes good to hear ur greasing urs
Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
What type of grease does it call for? lithium or what? im heading to the parts store today and need to get a tube and didnt know which type to get, there are like 6 or so dif kinds so i got confused last time i went to get my oil change stuff.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my08yoyo View Post
What type of grease does it call for? lithium or what? im heading to the parts store today and need to get a tube and didnt know which type to get, there are like 6 or so dif kinds so i got confused last time i went to get my oil change stuff.
Last time I used red n tacky #2. I forget what's recommended but that or most other synthetics will work. Seems like mobil 1 synth is pretty popular
Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
any u joint or bearing grease will work.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
It's a grease zerk.

Pop it on, shoot a couple pumps till you hear a seal or two releasing pressure, rotate the driveshaft to work the U joints, wipe up the extra so it doesn't make a mess.

No overthinking required.