Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd. Gen. V6 Secondary Air filter removal

Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Batman
airsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
airsoft_warrior's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to airsoft_warrior
2nd. Gen. V6 Secondary Air filter removal

I didn't notice a write up on the V6. So i figured I would write one.

First off what you need:

10mm Socket wrench
Flat head Screw Driver
Phillips head Screw Driver
(Optional: Electric Drill/Drill bit)

I don't Have pictures at the moment but i will post them.

1. First off start by lifting the engine cover by undoing the 10mm bolts holding the cover down. You can pull the cover off and set it out of the way.
  2. The MAF sensor is on top of the airbox. Undo the Sensor.
  3. Once undone, Loosen the air hose by unscrewing the Clamp on the hose.
  4. Undo the clamps on the airbox to open the box to reach the primary filter.
  5. remove the primary filter box and primary filter. Just set them aside.
  6. On the part of the airbox that remains is the secondary filter. There are several options to remove this:
  • Use the flat head screwdriver to pry each of the plastic holders that are built into the airbox. You will have to break the holders to get it out
  • Option 2 is to drill them out (I don't recommend this because the filter box is still in the engine and it is really messy and a pain to get all the plastic shavings out before you start the engine)
  • just cut the filter out and use a little force to pull it out.
And your done. Just clean out any debris that may remain.(this is important you don't want the plastic in the engine) and put it all back together. Don't forget the MAF sensor.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
have any difference

do you have any difference in a gas millage.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiko View Post
do you have any difference in a gas millage.
No
Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
What is the purpose of doing this?

Thanks-
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I am curious too... I have seen this DIY before and wonder if there is a real reason for it.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #6
glk21c is on a distinguished road

glk21c's Tacoma Gallery
I've done it, hoping for even a marginal improvement in MPG. Instead I lost a MPG. I re-installed it. You would think the slightly better airflow with it removed would help performance and MPG, but neither happened. For me anyway. Others have had different results.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Throttle response....
yep.........when i did it on the 06 i had.......i noticed throttle response was a touch better, but the truck idled better, and so that was worth it to me there. no noticeable mileage gain without the sec. filter on the v6, but i have heard its alot different on the 4 banger.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Makes me curious to try it but I don't know how to measure my MPG I always forget to reset my miles after fillups etc. and can't afford to lose MPG since I drive everyday for work non stop.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Batman
airsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2work View Post
What is the purpose of doing this?

Thanks-
To increase throttle response and Increase in MPG in the 4 cylinders. If its combined with a CAI or alternate filter, i have heard good things. and with a exhaust system too, people say it enhances MPG. Not a huge difference on the V6. But for those who want to do it.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
It's TACO time!
DFPTaco has a spectacular aura aboutDFPTaco has a spectacular aura about
Name: Josh
DFPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think that any time you add more air into the engine you will LOOSE fuel economy. Truth is that the engine's computer adjusts fuel levels to match that of the air levels for a stoich running condition. So if you add more air with out fuel you would run lean and that's not good so the engine would add more fuel to compensate therefore decreasing your fuel economy.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong here....
Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
Ken Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Ken Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
I did it...response is better down low and when you are speeding up after slowing down for person in front of you turns off road...just seems easier on engine in those instances... as for mpg too early to tell. educated guess is nada either way. seems as if stock was a tad rich and this may lean it out a little...its a wash.
so...
for me the only real difference is low end and back up to speed seems to be less taxing on engine.
does this help anyone? Not really....LOL

dfpt...did ya get engine build info on harley? LOL
Old 10-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFPTaco View Post
I think that any time you add more air into the engine you will LOOSE fuel economy. Truth is that the engine's computer adjusts fuel levels to match that of the air levels for a stoich running condition. So if you add more air with out fuel you would run lean and that's not good so the engine would add more fuel to compensate therefore decreasing your fuel economy.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong here....
Does a CAI add more air into the engine? My intake tube takes air from the front fender (i find that strange) but with a CAI it takes it from the air within the hood. therefore adding more air. But CAI increases fuel economy. is my thinking logical or am I wrong in assuming how the CAI actually works?
If i am right then shouldnt removal of the filter increase fuel economy too?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The idea with a most cold air intakes is that it reduces the pressure and allows air to flow more freely into the motor, also, cold air is more dense so you will get more air = more oxygen, in the same volume of space compared to if the air was warm. Thus improving power and usually gas mileage at the same time.