Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

05+ lower ball joint need help

Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
sprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sprocketdog's Tacoma Gallery
05+ lower ball joint need help

I have had issues with my lower ball joints recently and thought it was time to replace along with the wheel bearings. I have a set of federal mogal (Moogs) but once I pulled the factory lower ball joint out it is a smooth shaft (that fits into the lower control arm), and the new ones are splined. I checked with my digital caliper and the new ones are .02 off. Has any one used these before ( going from smooth shaft to spline?)

Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
sprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sprocketdog's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry they are not Moogs they are napa part# 260-1736 I had them mistaken for the bearings.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
So what did you guys use to get them off?
My way was ghetto. It might be worth it to drop the arms and have the ball joints professionally pressed out and the new ones pressed in. I used a standard ball joint press but had to order and extra cup online that was to the exact dimensions required for the toyota ball joint. Even then I still had to do some tool modification.

Be sure your ball joints are the issue because it sucks trying to replace them yourself. My ball joints turned out to not be the issue I thought I was having
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I'm going through the same shit right now and that's why I asked. They have plenty of slop and clunking going on. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post3558324

I'm thinking with the right cup they should come right out with an impact gun. Ive had them soaking in Deep Creep for 2 days now.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Anything is possible but for me it took the clamp compressed to the point of near breakage while I struck it with a sledge hammer over and over again. Only with that combination did I get it to budge. I couldn't hardly believe how stuck they were. Best of luck to you!