1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARE vs LEER Camper Shell

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Pauley, May 27, 2011.

1. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
  2. Feb 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    Pauley

Pauley [OP] Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 DC, SB, TRD-OFFRD,
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you very much for many comments and suggestion. I apologize that my post to reply to everyone was so late. Regarding the rack capacity, the dealer, ARE and Yakima, all told me different weight limit.

My decision was: purchased ARE CX series camper shell with factory-installed Yakima rack.
    The ARE dealer also deals with Century shell. According to the dealer, Century shell is made by Leer and has the same quality of Leer shells. He highly recommended me ARE shell than Century shells. The prices was not much different. The reason of choosing CS series, not V series (the cheapest model), was longer warranty and the design.

My ARE shell has factory-installed Yakima rack. I carried 5 white water kayaks (weighing ~250 lbs) on the rack. Carrying 5 boats was never problem at all and the rack looked like fine with additional one boat.

Thanks again,

3. Feb 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    anyone know if the shell off a reg would fit a double cab any differently?

4. Feb 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    2010TRDtaco

2010TRDtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oklahoma, muskogee
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX baja DCSB AT barcelona red
    Warn winch, body armor rear bumper, 2x yellow top optima, color matched wheel bead, weather tech mats, ams oil everywhere, De-badged, hard wired radar detector, rear diff. breather extension, k+n, fog light any time, trailer wiring relocate, iridium plugs, LED grill marker lights,
    ARE's the way to go if you want quality. I've owned both but will only get an ARE from now on

5. Feb 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    gptoy

gptoy 09 DCLB TRD Sport

Member:
    Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R TRDOR
    I've had my LEER for 8 months now, still plenty happy with it.

I'm sure the ARE's are fine, but I couldn't get over the "moulding" at the bottom of the cap where it sits on the bed side. The LEER is way cleaner looking here. From what I've heard that moulding tends to start working itself loose over time. The LEER has no moulding, therefore no worries.

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed

My ARE has been on for over five years now and the side molding still looks fine. One of the plastic trim pieces near one of the windows fell off somewhere (they're held on with double sided tape) and I need to put new foam under it and readjust how it's sitting, but other than that no issues. Oh, I did have a small leak where the third brake light wires go through but a dab of silicon fixed that and it hasn't reoccurred.

I mounted the Yakima rail system myself and so far no issues with it either including no leaks. I've carried several combinations of canoes and kayaks as well as furniture and lumber on top too.

I really, really, really wish I'd gone with the cap that's slightly higher than the cab though as well as Windoors (I have screened sliders) and the drop down front window (I have the plain slider). The Windoors would make getting small things in and out easier and the drop down front window would make cleaning a lot easier.

7. Nov 5, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    ahlerscurtis

ahlerscurtis Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD OR DCLB
    Looking to buy my first shell. I was wondering how much wiggle room is there in price. I noticed on Leer's website there is a coupon for a free front sliding window. My local dealer also wants $95 to install. Has anyone had success with talking down the price or getting free install? I'm looking at the Leer 100r or ARE V shell.

Products Discussed in

To Top