Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Paint gone to hell!

Old 05-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
GSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GSD's Tacoma Gallery
Paint gone to hell!

Anyone with a 2nd Gen re paint their truck completely? I have a 09 Black Sand Pearl that has seen a lot of dirt road and has a shit load of rock chips and rock rash in front of the back wheel wells. It is so bad that the 3m rock guard has peeled off on one side. Bought the truck second hand for a real good price with very low kms and the extended warranty that was fully transferable. The interior is mint as well and doesn't have even the smallest dent on the body. Thought it wouldn't bug me that much but now Im loosing sleep over it. I need some good advice.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
If at all possible, I always prefer to keep the factory paint in place. So to me, if the chips aren't deep enough to rust and can be filled, I'd go that route.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
GSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GSD's Tacoma Gallery
There are a tone of them. Would look like shit if I did it my self. I should go see a pro I guess.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
...and put some steps on it to protect the underside and those rear panels.

It sounds like that is your only shot at avoiding the 'ground hog day' effect with the type of roads you need to drive.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

GSD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
...and put some steps on it to protect the underside and those rear panels.

It sounds like that is your only shot at avoiding the 'ground hog day' effect with the type of roads you need to drive.
Good advice.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
bedliner along the lower portion of the body?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #7

GSD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
bedliner along the lower portion of the body?
Yes
Old 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever wax? Kept the mud flaps on? Another reason why i didn't get black....
Old 05-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
It doesn't matter is the stuff is Kevlar coated, your only hope is to first limit (drastically) the number of projectiles coming at those areas if you want to keep it decent on those type roads.

...and you might consider a 'bug shield for that leading edge of the hood if those are roads you must drive. If you do go that route, get the one that mounts underneat and use fth little rubber nipples to even further keep the underside leading edge of the hood from the potentially vibrating shield.

Regardless of what you do, it will take a beating on the roads. All you can do is attempt to lessen teh vulnerability of the usual areas...
Old 05-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #10

GSD's Tacoma Gallery
I have not waxed since I have had it, flaps have never been off. Looking for advice on a fix. Is it worth painting the whole thing? Once fixed will be treated like a baby.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Phones Ringin Dude
SplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to behold

Name: Haywood Jablowme
SplitDecision's Tacoma Gallery
Get the thing painted. I don't see the big problem other then the cost of it. The hardest part will be finding the right shop to do the work. If you do get it painted you might want to start protecting it with some klass or other form of wax of your choice.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
I have the exact same truck and mine looks like shit around the rear wheel area also. I avoid gravel roads at all costs. The damage to my paint seems excessive for the little dirt roads my truck has seen.
I'll probably end up putting some steps on to try and limit it.
Weakest paint job I've ever owned!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #13

GSD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
I have the exact same truck and mine looks like shit around the rear wheel area also. I avoid gravel roads at all costs. The damage to my paint seems excessive for the little dirt roads my truck has seen.
I'll probably end up putting some steps on to try and limit it.
Weakest paint job I've ever owned!
Interesting
Old 05-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/detai...companies.html
Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #15

GSD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
That's not great news
Old 05-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the truck repainted if its bugging you. I've read the paint on the newer Tacoma's is easily damaged, I would get a fresh paint job on the truck and enjoy!

I have a friend with a newer Chevrolet who went from black to white, the shop used a thicker clear coat that resists scratches. His paint is practically immune to swirl marks and chips. Just a thought.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
My paint seems (?) to have hardened more than it was in the first few months I had it. It's SWB, and the best description I had for the durability of the paint was "like pretty blue cake frosting".

I repaired a half dozen or so chips in the first year. Since then, under the same driving conditions, I haven't had any more. Weird.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
I would get the truck repainted if its bugging you. I've read the paint on the newer Tacoma's is easily damaged, I would get a fresh paint job on the truck and enjoy!

I have a friend with a newer Chevrolet who went from black to white, the shop used a thicker clear coat that resists scratches. His paint is practically immune to swirl marks and chips. Just a thought.
Not to be Captain Obvious, but i suspect going from Black to white will generally have that effect, as far as visible swirl marks go...
Old 05-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #19

GSD's Tacoma Gallery
Hell IWould be happy with swirl marks if that is all it was. I'm talking too many chips to even begin counting!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
It's these god damn Canadian roads. My truck, with 10700km on it is the same way. I travel on 18km of dirt road to get to work, once every 4 days. I hate it. I'll be getting some rock sliders I think... unless I can find some cheap tube steps on craigslist or kijiji...

Good luck.