Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

white wheels that fit ?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
FuzzHead is on a distinguished road

Name: Jarrod
FuzzHead's Tacoma Gallery
white wheels that fit ?

My mind is made up. I want WHITE steelies for my super-white tacoma. Does anyone know of any 16x7 or 16x8 that will fit without hitting the caliper?

I was looking at getting the Pro-Comp 82 series 8 spoke. They have 4 inches of backspace. I tried to call Pro-Comp but didn't get any help. Does anyone here have these?

I would really like to stay with 16" but would consider 17" if I absolutely had to. I prefer to keep the cost under $100 per wheel. Also, am I better with a 7" or 8" width? I plan on running BFG TKO 265/75/16.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzHead View Post
My mind is made up. I want WHITE steelies for my super-white tacoma. Does anyone know of any 16x7 or 16x8 that will fit without hitting the caliper?

I was looking at getting the Pro-Comp 82 series 8 spoke. They have 4 inches of backspace. I tried to call Pro-Comp but didn't get any help. Does anyone here have these?

I would really like to stay with 16" but would consider 17" if I absolutely had to. I prefer to keep the cost under $100 per wheel. Also, am I better with a 7" or 8" width? I plan on running BFG TKO 265/75/16.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
4.0 might is close to too little backspacing. Some report rubbing on the outside of the sidewall because the tires stick out too far, but others have run those specs with no issues. I would ask if you can test fit them.

Also kudos for being different with the wheels selection
Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

i've considered that

i've considered painting my stock steelies, but they all ready have rust on them and i don't have a 2nd car, so it would have to be something i could do myself in a weekend. just seemed easier to get new ones. maybe i could sand the hell out of them and just spray prime, paint, and clear on them?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd as I want white wheels also.

AFAIK the white procomps won't clear your caliper.

You could buy any rims and paint/powder coat them white?

The yellow FJ on this page has Pro Comp alloy wheels powdercoated white http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-wheels-2.html
Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
i've considered painting my stock steelies, but they all ready have rust on them and i don't have a 2nd car, so it would have to be something i could do myself in a weekend. just seemed easier to get new ones. maybe i could sand the hell out of them and just spray prime, paint, and clear on them?
I don't know how extensive the rust is...But if you have a set of jack stands you should be able to have all 4 wheels done in one day.
I did my stock wheels with just 2 jackstands in a weekend. Took the front 2 off- Cleaned, roughed up, cleaned again, primer 3 times and paint 3 or 4 times, cured over night in the house, and re-installed. Repeat with the rear wheels.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #7

I found a set of Cragar Nomad I online. Do you think these would have a chance? 16x7, 6x5.5 bolt pattern, 4.5" of backspacing. found on summit racing's site.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I found a set of Cragar Nomad I online. Do you think these would have a chance? 16x7, 6x5.5 bolt pattern, 4.5" of backspacing. found on summit racing's site.
Those are perfect specs, as long as they will clear the calipers. Some 16s won't
Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
FJ Cruiser
KEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kurt
KEG'sTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to KEG'sTACO
I was going to run white steelies, but settled for the wheels I have now. good luck on your search! can't wait to see them on the truck.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #10

the Cragar also state that they have +12mm offset. i believe the stock wheels are +15mm (correct me if i'm wrong) so that would be pretty darn close. I think i may call and ask if they will let me test fit although i would probably have to eat the shipping 1 way.

I really considered painting my stock ones but i live in an area that puts a LOT of salt on the roads in the winter and although i could powdercoat my stock wheels it wouldn't be much more expensive just to buy new at $80 a wheel. I also like the old school 8 spoke style a little more than my 5 spoke stock.

thanks for all the replies. i just joined this forum yesterday and i am loving all the mods i see.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the Cragar also state that they have +12mm offset. i believe the stock wheels are +15mm (correct me if i'm wrong) so that would be pretty darn close. I think i may call and ask if they will let me test fit although i would probably have to eat the shipping 1 way.

I really considered painting my stock ones but i live in an area that puts a LOT of salt on the roads in the winter and although i could powdercoat my stock wheels it wouldn't be much more expensive just to buy new at $80 a wheel. I also like the old school 8 spoke style a little more than my 5 spoke stock.

thanks for all the replies. i just joined this forum yesterday and i am loving all the mods i see.
Stock wheels are +38mm offset, which is 5.5" backspacing on a 7" wide wheel.

+12mm offset on a 7" wide wheel is 4.5" backspacing.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #12

perhaps my search is not over. maybe i'll have to go for a 16x8 with 5.5" of backspacing. (if i can find one). back to google i go.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
perhaps my search is not over. maybe i'll have to go for a 16x8 with 5.5" of backspacing. (if i can find one). back to google i go.
Why do you want 5.5" backspacing again?

4.5 gives you more options down the road.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #14

here is a link that shows the wheels that came with my truck. the specs (assuming they are accurate) show a +15mm offset.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...s#ht_784wt_941
Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
here is a link that shows the wheels that came with my truck. the specs (assuming they are accurate) show a +15mm offset.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...s#ht_784wt_941
The offset and hub bore he states are both incorrect.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #16

ok. so my stock wheels are +38mm with 5.5 backspacing. so if i go for 4.5 backspacing and 12mm wheel will i have any concern with rubbing/trimming ?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok, just wanted to make sure my stock wheels are +15 mm with approximately 4.5" backspace. then the cragar wheels should be a perfect fit (assuming they'll clear the caliper).

just too bad i can't find ones like the pro-comp that don't have that red and blue stripe around the outside...........but i guess i can live with it.
They are not. They are +38mm offset with 5.5" backspacing, as I already noted.

However, the 4.5" backspacing wheels will still work, in fact they will give you more options for running wider tires because they moved the wheel away from the uca.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #18

sorry about that KPT, i misread your "incorrect" for correct. guess thats what i get for not having my glasses on.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sorry about that KPT, i misread your "incorrect" for correct. guess thats what i get for not having my glasses on.
No problem. But I would look for 4.5" backspaces wheels if I were you, rather than trying to match something to stock.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #20

any advantage of stepping up to a 16x8 vs the 16x7 ? (they both have 4.5" of backspacing)

no plans to drive offroad, but i do drive thru some really deep snow if i get out before the plows in the morning. so far the plan is to run 265/75 but i may look for a skinnier tire for to help drive thru snow.