1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

El Cheapo Heated Mirrors

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tsilliker, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Oct 7, 2008 at 10:39 AM
    tsilliker

tsilliker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Tundra wheels, Access roll-up tonneau, D-rings in front of bed floor, tinted glass in doors to match privacy glass, synthetic oil, Husky floor liners, fog lights, constant power mod for 12v plugs, heated mirrors, brake controller, billet grill, radio aux input mod.
    I had been waiting for the Tacoma community to source a heated mirror kit for some time, and recently had a flash of brilliance that allowed me to move forward on my installation of heated mirrors on my 2005 Access Cab V6.

This procedure details what I did to my truck. Attempt at your own risk.

Being an avid all-weather motorcyclist, I have been using heated grips for some time. The kit I have on my Honda ST1100 is a Kimpex kit commonly available at Canadian Tire.

I promptly drove my trusty motorcycle to Canadian Tire and purchased the following kit off the shelf for $30. It was located in the snowmobile section.

heatedmirror13_b484712670dc9d3c32c75d36d1297dc0d757d07e.jpg

I opened up the package and sure enough, the heating elements are sized just right!

heatedmirror01_32a7f678271096d38b462e0750d23b6784f05b1d.jpg

First step was removing the mirrors from the housing. I did this by tilting the mirror up, prying out the bottom of the mirror straight out toward the back of the truck, then pulling it downwards.

heatedmirror02_fd7f8fae6888b408034edbeadc310a1c7f137f0b.jpg

Removing the mirror from the plastic backing was simple. I put my kitchen range on the lowest possible setting and one at a time placed the mirror inside for a few minutes. This could melt the plastic if left too long.

Then I removed the mirror using gloves and inserted four kitchen knives into the mirror as illustrated. You might want to go buy knives for this as a lot of the adhesive which was holding the mirror on will end up on the knives.

heatedmirror03_c6a1d33710129caad0af2dba2aabd5bbb7402b5c.jpg

Moving the knives back and forth very quickly separated the mirrors. Then it was a matter of gently prying the plastic off at the corners.

heatedmirror04_9ce5e1b8d97c5e203a6e998012dd6a3f29d45a6d.jpg

This adhesive needs to be removed as much as possible as this is where the elements will be stuck on. The grip elements have adhesive to be able to stick them on the handlebars of a snowmobile or motorcycle.

cont...

2. Oct 7, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Tundra wheels, Access roll-up tonneau, D-rings in front of bed floor, tinted glass in doors to match privacy glass, synthetic oil, Husky floor liners, fog lights, constant power mod for 12v plugs, heated mirrors, brake controller, billet grill, radio aux input mod.
    After the adhesive pads were removed, I placed the plastic up against the mirror and marked where the hole was located that I wanted to route the wires through.

heatedmirror05_98bdec8ee5ab3a213a81306e4474ebf40f2c463e.jpg

I then stuck the heating element to the mirror, with the two wires located close to where they would be routed through the mirror. I didn't get a pic of the element on the mirror, but the following three pics show what I did to reassemble the mirror to the backer.

I used exterior grade silicone and put it on all the ridges of the plastic that would be against the mirror.

heatedmirror06_234db7c246a505a63121f2f2486231cc85636f84.jpg

Then routed the wires through the hole I wanted to use then pressed the mirror back into the plastic housing. I made sure all the plastic edges were wrapped properly around the edges of the mirrors.

heatedmirror07_af046011a50eecbe13c66a99c38180a44384ab22.jpg

Then I used some clamps to hold the works in place overnight.

heatedmirror08_01bcc642476e40d742e5261f619a869c47c54a3d.jpg

cont...

3. Oct 7, 2008 at 11:15 AM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    I then set to work disassembling both mirrors from the truck. This requires removing the door panels. You must remove two screws - located behind the latch handle and the door pull. Then the three nuts that hold each mirror on.

To disassemble the mirror, remove a screw holding on the rubber grommet, and three screws on the underside of the mirror assembly. Two of them are under a cover that must be pried off.

When you are ready to put the mirrors in, get everything together and begin the route the heater wires through where the motor wires go through. It is a twisting path and you will need to be careful not to pinch any wires on reassembly. It helped me to tape the heater wires to the motor wires to route them through the pivot section.

It took a bit of time and care, but I was happy with the results. Be sure you have the motor wires pulled all the way out upon completion or they won't plug back into the harness in the door.

heatedmirror11_e9b8691cbeec0afc9439ddad9860928a30ab26b5.jpg

At this point with each mirror, I mounted the mirror back on the door and soldered three feet of wire to the heater wires.

The following pic shows the wire routing.

heatedmirror10_245f2ea2eec1cf4f44edd5367466eeb8cfacc40a.jpg

I then removed both ends of the rubber protective sleeve which runs between the door and the truck body. I used flexible but rigid wire with a loop on the end to help pull the wires through the various holes and rubber.

heatedmirror12_e1193941cdb9f9b02058e119bd361ccfc6439b93.jpg

At the end of this routing process, I brought the heater wires to the back of the blank plugs on the lower left part of the dash.

The final wiring is not what I would consider factory looking or even ideal. I got fed up looking for a nice Toyota switch that would do the job, so I used a lighted rocker from Canadian Tire. I dremeled out one of the plugs and installed the switch into it. This part is quite rough looking, and I may clean it up with some black silicone around the edges of the switch to hide the rough cuts.

heatedmirror14_9338e8a1ae09deaf5eeea961f8c86f6b31efc569.jpg

Anyway, here is what I did to wire up my heated grips. I had already previously installed a constant power circuit into the fuse panel under the hood to power my brake controller. This constant power circuit has a self resetting circuit breaker instead of a fuse. I had to cut out a little plastic wall in the lid in order to route the wire as shown. A female spade was used and inserted into a constant power source in the panel.

heatedmirror15_3a5ed25d1a5a891df76be1331a3f15a6218e8e37.jpg

My heated grips are on constantly, even with the ignition off. This is dangerous to the health of the battery for obvious reasons. I couldn't find a nice switched source to trigger a relay as I have done the constant power mod to my power outlets by modifying the relay for that circuit.

Power is routed through the switch and to one side of each heater circuit. The other side of each heater circuit is routed to ground. I did not use the dropping resistor in the grip kit as I wanted full heat output. Fairly simple connections, but as I mentioned, dangerous as hell!

The heat output is significant and will positively eliminate any frost or dew on the mirrors.

4. Oct 7, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Awesome! Thanks for the write up!

5. Oct 7, 2008 at 11:28 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    thats killer! nice job

6. Oct 7, 2008 at 11:48 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Dude! That's so awesome! I've wanted heated mirrors since I got this truck 2 years ago and found out the mirrors are f'n useless first thing on a winter morning!

Added to the cheap/free mod TOC!! :thumbsup: :bananadance: :D

Chungaz likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2008 at 12:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Awesome!!
    This morning I got in my truck and the frost & dew was everywhere. The first thing that came to my mind was...I need heated mirrors!!

Damnit, something else to put on the to-do list!!!

SPARROW66 likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
  9. Oct 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    genius. thanks for the tip. so simple and cheap.

10. Oct 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Thats kick ass DIY

11. Oct 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Just heads up, silicone adhesive will eat the silvering off the back of mirrors. It doesn't matter whether it's interior, exterior or marine grade. I installed glass in my past life and went to countless remodels to replace mirrors that someone cheaped out and used silicone in place of mastic.

Just something to keep in mind. If and when the silvering starts to come apart, you'll notice black spots and then the mirror will have a foggy look to it.

It won't happen overnight but being out in the elements will more than likely speed up the process.

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen.
    http://www.mirro-mastic.com/products_mirromastic.shtml

"but silicone will damage the silvering if applied to the mirror backing, which is what you're tryng to avoid. Mirror mastic is the only adhesive that should be applied to the backing of a mirror if you choose to glue it"

"Do not use any substances which are combustible, toxic, wax or oil-based because these could emit harmful fumes or discolor your mirrors surface when heated. NEVER, allow ammonia based products, or silicone adhesives to come into contact with a mirror backing. You can literally watch the silvering turn black"

Just some things I quoted from Google searches.

12. Oct 7, 2008 at 4:38 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    ^Thanks for the headsup! :thumbsup:

13. Oct 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM
    CraigTRD

CraigTRD It's been a while

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Will have: 6" FabTech Lift, Custom rear leaf packs. Hockey Stick Canadian Flag Mod.
    OMG! This was actually one of the things that I put on the survey after I bought my truck about what I wish that it had!!!! Even my beater/gas-saver 1993 Honda Prelude has heater mirrors!!! So good!!! I am going to do this mod this weekend! Thanks man!!! Such a good idea!

(My other complaint about our trucks is no sunroof option).

14. Oct 7, 2008 at 7:49 PM
    dsds

dsds Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    Great write up!! I'm gonna head over to Crappy Tire and get me those grips before the frost arrives.

Hey, is Joe Kools or Ceeps still around in London? Damn I miss going up to Grand Bend. London ON gals wondering around UWO campus sure made it hard to get any work done.

Cheers!

Lumberjackcoma likes this.
  15. Oct 7, 2008 at 9:08 PM
    CraigTRD

CraigTRD It's been a while

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD Pro 6M
    Will have: 6" FabTech Lift, Custom rear leaf packs. Hockey Stick Canadian Flag Mod.
    Joseph Koolinski's is still alive as always. I hate that place. $7 for a Corona....NOT worth it. The Creeps/Barney's is still pumping like always. When was the last time you were here? Barney's has stepped it up in the past few years.

This past weekend was homecoming. We toured the campus in a buddy's S2000. (We were both wearing our Toyota TRD jackets, I admit it was kinda gay, but still representing, right?) So many sweet sweet girls. :eek:

16. Oct 7, 2008 at 9:16 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    great idea and a great write-up! Thanks!

17. Oct 8, 2008 at 6:19 AM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Here's a taste of what you've been missing at UWO...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Oct 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    This morning leaving work, I got out to my truck and the mirrors were covered with mist from the morning dew. After starting the truck, I switched on the new heated mirrors. Immediately, the dew and mist over the area covered by the elements evaporated away. Within a minute and a half, the heat spread out to the rest of the mirror and the entire mirror was nice and clear.

I love these things!

19. Oct 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    scottiem

scottiem Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Thanks for the info, will the mastic be compatible with the heat from the pad.

Also what do you think about wiring them into the defroster circuit as seems like anytime you use the defroster you'd be needing the heated mirrors.

BluLED and SPARROW66 like this.
  20. Oct 9, 2008 at 6:44 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    thats how they turn on with my 4runner.

BluLED likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top