Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

08 4cyl, 4WD, Sounds like a exhaust leak?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
wawireguy is on a distinguished road
wawireguy's Tacoma Gallery
08 4cyl, 4WD, Sounds like a exhaust leak?

Does anyone else who has a 4cyl, 4wd think their truck has a exhaust leak? Under acceleration it often sounds like it has one.

Before I go in and have the Toyota mechs "try" to drive my truck I'd like to hear if anyone else has this issue. Try since the last one killed it while trying to drive the manual transmission. Can't be good for the tranny.. Might just be how the vehicle sounds...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
ricepow is on a distinguished road
ricepow's Tacoma Gallery
Could be. My old 06 Titan had one at about 30K. I was also surprised. Seemed very premature.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
it might be the regular engine tick. try running some higher octane and if the tick is still really noticeable then it could be a leak
Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
It's not a tick. It sounds like a exhaust leak under acceleration. Was just wondering if anyone else heard the same kinda noise.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
I know what you mean. My 07 sounds like that. Was going to change the muffler but got used to it eventually. Really let's you know you didn't spring for the V-6.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
So the same noise? It really sounds like a leak. If you've got the same thing I won't run it in then. No reason to.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawireguy View Post
So the same noise? It really sounds like a leak. If you've got the same thing I won't run it in then. No reason to.
Just a wimpy hissing sound when you hit go.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Does it sound like a rattle? When you accelerate does it gets worse around the 2000-2500 RPM range? If so, I had the same problem. I went to the dealership, and tested out three other tacos...All of them did the same thing.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Squirrel Mincer
1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about
1-3-2-4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1-3-2-4
Mine has the same sound. It changed a bit when I removed the intake resonator in the fender, but I'm attributing most of it to the quiet stock exhaust. Maybe a better muffler will eliminate it.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
mclapperton is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mclapperton's Tacoma Gallery
My '08 2.7l has the exhaust leak like sound also. I just chock it up to normal. My '98 did it also.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
My 06 DC 4WD sounds that way. It has 22k & I have had it since new but the leak hasn't been there since new if you follow me.

Mine is really really noticeable at cold start and hasn't warmed up. More so now that we have had a couple of 30 degree a.m.'s. In the summer, it would go away, but now its cold, it doesn't seem to be going away. It sounds like pipe rumble as in a harley kinda sorta. Not a tick. Haven't taken it in yet, too much going on. Supposedly there is an Exhaust tsb but not sure if this it or not?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has the same sound. It's loud enough that when I'm next to something, it really sounds like a beater! I will be looking into it on my own, as the dealer says it's normal.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Lyter011 is on a distinguished road
Lyter011's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to use my first post to revive an old thread, but has anyone succeeded in identifying this problem?

I just bought a 2010 4WD Access Cab 2.7L and love everything about it except the hissing sound I hear coming from the exhaust (sounds like it's coming from the tail pipe behind me and not the engine in front of me) during acceleration. I took it to the dealer and after driving with the mechanic for 20 minutes he said he had no idea and that it just sounded like air turbulence through the exhaust pipes and that it was probably normal. He also put it up on a lift and checked for leaks or loose hoses and found nothing.

After reading through tons of threads on here it seems others have the same type of issue and agree it may be normal. I've read suggestions to fix other annoying sounds (pretty sure this isn't the infamous "tick") but not really any for the "leaking sound." Being a 2010 I don't think the tsb for manifolds applies.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Giants is on a distinguished road
Name: john
Giants's Tacoma Gallery
exhaust leak

i have same noise/problem and it is driving me crazy. When weather warms up will try and find it...if that is possible.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
Lyter011 is on a distinguished road
Lyter011's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone ever found a solution to this noise?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
CEaton is on a distinguished road
CEaton's Tacoma Gallery
2007 access cab 4x4 4cyl here, been doing it since the day I bought it.