Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Show us your homemade truck Racks

Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
burhead is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
burhead's Tacoma Gallery
Show us your homemade truck Racks

Here is my home made truck rack / back rack.

I made this back/truck rack last weekend. It took me about 12 hours total to make this rack using 1 1/2 inch square tubing for the back rack and 1 1/4 square tubing for the rails and the rack inserts. It cost me $150.00 (Canadian) in steel and my time welding it up with my arc welder. Makes me want a mig welder !!!!

I designed it after a buddies rack. The racks that hold the canoes and boats are easily removed and stored in the garage when not in use (see pic showing racks removed).

I hate having racks on when not needed. Only the back rack and rails stay on the truck and its below the roof level which gives no wind drag for fuel savings.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Show us your homemade truck Racks-truck-rack-001.jpg   Show us your homemade truck Racks-truck-rack-002.jpg   Show us your homemade truck Racks-truck-rack-003.jpg   Show us your homemade truck Racks-truck-rack-005.jpg   Show us your homemade truck Racks-truck-rack-006.jpg  

Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Great job. Looks good. Have you done work like that before?

Frank
Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of doing something similar, using the back rack as a post for a removable bed rack mine would be a RTT though,

Nice setup

Wondering why you built it so tall though?!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
thats some very nice work, i wish i could weld
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Dutchman is on a distinguished road
Dutchman's Tacoma Gallery
Found this rack on Craigslist for $200 - it was for a full size truck but I cut it down to fit. That's 20 16' long treated deck boards on top - works great!

Old 05-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Dutchman is on a distinguished road
Dutchman's Tacoma Gallery
Rides real smooth - - -
Old 05-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
OP - That sir, is an an IMPRESSIVE looking rack.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Rack, basket, same thing. It holds shit!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
burhead is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
burhead's Tacoma Gallery
Its built that high

1. so the canoe does not hit the roof of the truck

2. so I can put my quad under neath the boat and or canoes.

This was my first build of a truck rack.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burhead View Post
Its built that high

1. so the canoe does not hit the roof of the truck

2. so I can put my quad under neath the boat and or canoes.

This was my first build of a truck rack.
Oh nice,

Yea I was wondering how much the canoe bent down towards the truck,

Multi-functional!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Rack, basket, same thing. It holds shit!

Derek,
I like your basket a lot!
Using the factory mount locations is the way to go in my opinion.
It is more than I would need with the light guard in front but I may have to attempt to build one with a lower profile and a bit less heavy duty.
Thanks for giving me an idea of how to do it!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Derek,
I like your basket a lot!
Using the factory mount locations is the way to go in my opinion.
It is more than I would need with the light guard in front but I may have to attempt to build one with a lower profile and a bit less heavy duty.
Thanks for giving me an idea of how to do it!!!!!!
Yessir. This was my first rack build. More to come with revisions and yes, a lower profile.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Not as good as everyone else's, but it was the best I could do without a welder. All-in-all it turned out very sturdy, use it to haul my kayaks.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
TOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TOYOTA 09's Tacoma Gallery
^nice job!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
OP you did a he'll of a job fabricating that rack, looks store bought!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #17
fjrmurph will become famous soon enoughfjrmurph will become famous soon enough
fjrmurph's Tacoma Gallery
nice job, i like the way the racks can be removed when not needed. You should probably tie that canoe down though might not stay there like that
Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery

Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
Babatoni is on a distinguished road
Babatoni's Tacoma Gallery
Not entirely made by me, but modified to fit the Taco.

I bought this rack from a guy that had it on a full size Dodge. After looking at, I figured I could modify it to fit the Taco, seeing as it was completely adjustable.

He had made it with 1 1/2" & 1 1/4" square steel tubing that slides into each other to adjust. It is bolted together with 7/16 bolts, and nicely welded corner peices. He had made this in his garage himself and did a very nice job! The mods I had to do were, even with it in its smallest size it was still to long and to wide. As well I had to make it fit my bed rail system, as he had it mounted right into the bed wall holes on full sizes.

Cutting the lengths to size was pretty straight forward. In order to mount it to my truck, in the box on that small lip, I mounted a right angle bracket, and used a 1/2" bolt to go thru the post. I used a 1/2" carriage bolt in the bed rail for the four posts. As you can see in the photos, he made attaching points so the entire rack can be easily removed and just the attachment posts are left in the box of the truck. I made this in order to carry my 12' aluminum fishing boat, as I tow my tent trailer behind the truck. I added the rollers on the back corners. On the front cross member I put an upright 1/2" bolt which goes right into the handle hole on the bow plate of the boat. I made a bracket out of flat bar, which goes on the inside of the bow plate and bolts down the bow of the boat right to the rack. Eliminating the need for a safety line to the front bumper, which I think is annoying to have to do!

I have done four fishing trips with the boat on top, and it hasn't even budged! The kicker is I bought this rack for $75, and with some new bolts, and hardware and rollers, I am into it for $137! Sure beats a $800 for a factory made one! Hope some of my ideas are helpful. Cheers and happy trucking!
Attached Thumbnails
Show us your homemade truck Racks-img-20120504-00226.jpg   Show us your homemade truck Racks-img-20120614-00298.jpg   Show us your homemade truck Racks-img-20120614-00299.jpg   Show us your homemade truck Racks-img-20120614-00300.jpg   Show us your homemade truck Racks-img-20120504-00227.jpg