Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AFE CAI vs removing carbon filter and drop in AFE pro dry filter?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
dkreiner is on a distinguished road
Name: Doug
dkreiner's Tacoma Gallery
AFE CAI vs removing carbon filter and drop in AFE pro dry filter?

I've read that many people prefer the afe CAI mod to any other CAI. I was wondering what the advantage to buying and installing the entire afe CAI is vs putting in the drop in afe pro dry s filter and removing the carbon filter in the stock intake. Its not obvious to me looking at the afe CAI that there is much different than the stock aside from removing the carbon filter. Is there an increase in HP or mpg difference between these two options? It seems like there must or so many Taco owners wouldn't opt for the full CAI. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
More intake sound and a cleanable filter, no power or mpg increase that can be proven.
For what it is worth I have a TRD CAI intake and it makes more noise too.
Power or mileage I don't think so.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The V6 doesn't benefit from removing the charcoal filter. Drop in a AFE or K&N filter and call it a day. The full intake won't do anything.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Stock, no. From what I read, removing the entire intake pipe (i.e. leaving nothing upstream of the butterfly valve) is good for only 1 hp on the dyno. I ripped out the carbon trap and run the Pro Dry S drop-in filter. Over a few years the reusable AFE filter pays for itself.

If you run a supercharger or turbo, a CAI should be beneficial.

BTW, have you seen the stock airbox location on the new 4Runners?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled my charcoal filter. If I had it to do over I'd probably just leave it. I see no real benefit either way, really.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
dkreiner is on a distinguished road
Name: Doug
dkreiner's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning toward just getting the drop in afe pro dry s. I'm a field geologist and do a significant amount of driving on dirt roads and consequently have to replace the air filter regularly. Let me ask another noob / perhaps dumb question. If the stock intake is in effect a cai, if you remove the carbon trap and put in the higher flow filter, shouldn't it also have the same effect on sound? Or are there other restrictions still present in the stock intake? Thanks for the helpful opinions!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The stock intake is cold air. Any sound change would be minimal since you still have the baffles of the stock air intake.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I think the sound comes from replacing the ribbed stock tube to the smooth tappered tube of the CAI........

Also from getting rid of the box and expansion chambers.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Also from getting rid of the box and expansion chambers.
^^^ This. I replaced the stock accordian tube/fender inlet with a Volant AirRam and plumbed it into the stock airbox with 4" tubing. The sound was the same as stock. So unless you remove the stock airbox, the sound doesn't change much.

I've since moved to an aFe CIA intake and the sound _definitely_ changes with that.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
I think part of the reason afe is so popular is because you can get them with the pro dry filter and not have to oil the filter like you do with k&n or other brands.

You can probably get a snorkel for close to the same price. It's more work but more benefits too.

Or maybe you don't want to cut a hole in your year old truck.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
pull the filter (yes it does restrict) and drop in the AFE.. best bang for the buck. Oh and cut that thing in the fender some...

I tried the AFE intake on mine and lost low end torque..
Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
i went from a K & N drop in filter to a AFE stage 2 si cai. Pretty noticeable difference to me. My truck would chirp the tires when barely hitting the gas pedal. Mine is louder for sure. The hotter it is outside the more you hear it. I think it sounds awesome. I didn't gain any mpg with it though. I feel it was worth the money. Just buying a pro dry s filter would be more cost effective. If you got the money get the cai. You won't be disappointed.