1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AFE CAI vs removing carbon filter and drop in AFE pro dry filter?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dkreiner, May 30, 2011.

1. May 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    dkreiner

dkreiner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 AC
    I've read that many people prefer the afe CAI mod to any other CAI. I was wondering what the advantage to buying and installing the entire afe CAI is vs putting in the drop in afe pro dry s filter and removing the carbon filter in the stock intake. Its not obvious to me looking at the afe CAI that there is much different than the stock aside from removing the carbon filter. Is there an increase in HP or mpg difference between these two options? It seems like there must or so many Taco owners wouldn't opt for the full CAI. Thanks for your help!

2. May 30, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    More intake sound and a cleanable filter, no power or mpg increase that can be proven.
    For what it is worth I have a TRD CAI intake and it makes more noise too.
    Power or mileage I don't think so.

3. May 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Stock, no. From what I read, removing the entire intake pipe (i.e. leaving nothing upstream of the butterfly valve) is good for only 1 hp on the dyno. I ripped out the carbon trap and run the Pro Dry S drop-in filter. Over a few years the reusable AFE filter pays for itself.

If you run a supercharger or turbo, a CAI should be beneficial.

BTW, have you seen the stock airbox location on the new 4Runners?

4. May 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I pulled my charcoal filter. If I had it to do over I'd probably just leave it. I see no real benefit either way, really.

5. Jun 1, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    dkreiner

dkreiner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 AC
    Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning toward just getting the drop in afe pro dry s. I'm a field geologist and do a significant amount of driving on dirt roads and consequently have to replace the air filter regularly. Let me ask another noob / perhaps dumb question. If the stock intake is in effect a cai, if you remove the carbon trap and put in the higher flow filter, shouldn't it also have the same effect on sound? Or are there other restrictions still present in the stock intake? Thanks for the helpful opinions!

6. Jun 2, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    ^^^ This. I replaced the stock accordian tube/fender inlet with a Volant AirRam and plumbed it into the stock airbox with 4" tubing. The sound was the same as stock. So unless you remove the stock airbox, the sound doesn't change much.

I've since moved to an aFe CIA intake and the sound _definitely_ changes with that.

7. Jun 2, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    Bryan139

Bryan139 I have a spectacular aura

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport
    I cut some wires here. Added some wires there.
    I think part of the reason afe is so popular is because you can get them with the pro dry filter and not have to oil the filter like you do with k&n or other brands.

You can probably get a snorkel for close to the same price. It's more work but more benefits too.

Or maybe you don't want to cut a hole in your year old truck.

8. Jun 2, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    pull the filter (yes it does restrict) and drop in the AFE.. best bang for the buck. Oh and cut that thing in the fender some...

I tried the AFE intake on mine and lost low end torque..

9. Jun 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    i went from a K & N drop in filter to a AFE stage 2 si cai. Pretty noticeable difference to me. My truck would chirp the tires when barely hitting the gas pedal. Mine is louder for sure. The hotter it is outside the more you hear it. I think it sounds awesome. I didn't gain any mpg with it though. I feel it was worth the money. Just buying a pro dry s filter would be more cost effective. If you got the money get the cai. You won't be disappointed.

Products Discussed in

To Top