Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whistles from Thule Xsporter Racks

Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
hhopcroft is on a distinguished road
Navy: Pilot (retired)
hhopcroft's Tacoma Gallery

The Thule Xsporter racks have an extruded bar with a set of rubber strips that fit into the extrusions. The strips will not STAY in there and the unit whistles loudly at most speeds when the strips fall out. I even tried glueing them in, but they still came out. My 2010 Tacoma will not let the bars down far enough to avoid the noise and would need them up, in any case, to actually haul anything.

How do people deal with these things??
Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Odd. Thule usually makes solid stuff, although I have had issues with some of their cheaper bike racks.

Got any pics of where the issue is? Also, did you buy the kit new or used?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I have big wide rack pads over both sides and both racks for kayaks and/or surfboards. Have never had issue with those strips staying put or any kind of noise from the racks but I don't leave the racks on the truck when not in use either so that might have something to do with it. Maybe put some sort of flat head screw through the strip on each end?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Odd. Thule usually makes solid stuff, although I have had issues with some of their cheaper bike racks.

Got any pics of where the issue is? Also, did you buy the kit new or used?
I bought this unit new because it can be mounted on the rails inside the bed of the Tacoma. The strips (two sets of them now) have never stayed in. If I can figure out how, I'll attach a couple of photos.

If the images are there, the one is the top of the bar. On the left is the slot and on the right is how it looks with the strip in place. The other photo is the end of the strip showing its flanges that are supposed to hold it in the slot.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhopcroft View Post
The Thule Xsporter racks have an extruded bar with a set of rubber strips that fit into the extrusions. The strips will not STAY in there and the unit whistles loudly at most speeds when the strips fall out. I even tried glueing them in, but they still came out. My 2010 Tacoma will not let the bars down far enough to avoid the noise and would need them up, in any case, to actually haul anything.

How do people deal with these things??
I bought an xsporter 422xt rack about a month ago so I could mount my RTT and awning. I had trouble with the rubber strips they provide until I placed my RTT on the rack and the weight made them stay in place even after the tent was removed. As far as not being able to get the rack to go all the way down you can cut sections off like I did. I didn't want mine to go all the way down because I have a changing room with my tent and want to be able to use it.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Thule Xsporter Racks

I tend to carry things like a ladder up there, so they have not ever seated the strips successfully -- and they do nothing for the underside strip in any case.

Interesting thought about cutting a section off the bottom of the racks. I'll have a look at that.

Thanks!