Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD INTAKE NOW STREET LEGAL?!?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
TRD INTAKE NOW STREET LEGAL?!?

Hey all, looking at the new TRD catalog it does not list the TRD CAI intake as "OFFROAD ONLY" anymore, it says its 50 state legal. Also no where in the catalog does it say the CAI intake CAN NOT be used with the supercharger anymore.

Does this mean that the two can finally be put together without a worry of voiding any warrenties??? If so that is awesome. Anyone have more information on this, is it true?

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/cata...RD_Catalog.pdf
Old 05-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I would assume anything trd would be legal except maybe Cali.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The new intake retains the charcoal filter so it is 50 state legal now but it is a crappy intake. The old TRD never voided warranty but was not legal in some states. You can always swap it with the stock stuff for smog time.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
the original (good) one was not street legal. OP do some searching on XRU, the new TRD CAI has issues with causing MAF errors, and gadget recommended not to use them with the supercharger.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The new intake retains the charcoal filter so it is 50 state legal now but it is a crappy intake. The old TRD never voided warranty but was not legal in some states. You can always swap it with the stock stuff for smog time.
The old intake specifically stated it would not work with the TRD supercharger. The new one does not. If your vehical does not have the charcoal filter anymore because of the supercharger then I guess its all still good.

I will switch to the new TRD just because I have the supercharger and dont want to give the dealer any reason to try to void the warrenty on it.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
the original (good) one was not street legal. OP do some searching on XRU, the new TRD CAI has issues with causing MAF errors, and gadget recommended not to use them with the supercharger.
HHHMMMMMM I will have to e-mail gadget on that one. I have the AFE dry filter currently but would like to switch to the TRD. But if its going to cause MAF issues I might just skip it.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quite a few people run the old TRD intake with the blower with no problems.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
upsidedownviking is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
upsidedownviking's Tacoma Gallery
May be a dumb question, but I'm new

I have the TRD S/C on my '11 4.0 V6, and my TRD intake arrived today, part numbers look the same for all '05-'11 TRD intakes, any way to tell the difference between new/old good/bad?

Or are "old style" Gen1 CAI's? Haven't been home yet to check out my intake (it could be written on the side in 4" lettering).
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Banned
Old intake:

New intake:

The old one was designed and made by AFE and the new one is designed and made by AEM.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Awesome Thanks!

I'll throw it on there tonight and see how it does, nice to be forewarned about possible problems. Was hoping to keep it TRD under the hood but it's easy enough to swap CAI's for oil changes etc. if the new style gives me trouble.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Banned
Well be ready for it. The new intake causes lean conditions even on non supercharged engines.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
The 50 state part isn't a typo in the catalog my CAI came with a sticker:

Just opened the CAI box, my iluminated 4x4 switch mod arrived today as well so I started with it, already one of my favorite mods!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Hepdawg69 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Hepdawg69's Tacoma Gallery
I've been hesitant on getting the TRD Intake do to all the negative reading I've done. But I'm still not convinced that it'll cause problems. I've read some post about check engine lights coming on after installing it, could be installed wrong or something wasn't done correctly. Or it's actully causing it to run lean but not in all cases? Wouldn't the MAF read the difference in air and adjust for the change? I also wouldn't think the injectors couldn't handle the added airflow, more air more fuel. I just don't see how they could run lean... Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

I'm sooo tempted to order the TRD intake still...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Banned
Gadget has posted up dyno results. The a/f mixture went lean during the runs. Why? Idk why. It could be just a bad design. The Volant intake for the 4.0 causes rich mixtues. The smaller than stock diameter tube is to blame. Contact Gadget for answers.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the old style for 4 years/50K miles; zero problems.
I always thought AFE made the old style.
It looks almost identical to the AFE.
http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...V6&&brandID=56
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the first gen 1 was made by AFE, this second is made by AEM
Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
the first gen 1 was made by AFE, this second is made by AEM
Look up.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #18

now this thread is twice as knowledgeable
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
I have the original TRD and my supercharger loves it =). Oh and guys with the 2nd gen trd intake the reason why you are getting lean conditions is because direct oiled replacement filters ( the flat type ) are notorious for oiling up the MAF sensor and that causes lean conditions. Clean your maf once every 500-1000k miles for the first couple grand untill the filter element dries up a little and than you'll be good and safe.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
TmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTmecTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TmecTaco79's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to thread jack but my question is TRD CAI related. My question is, has anyone else had fitment issues with the first gen CIA tube being a little too short?