Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Cocked" steering wheel, other steering issues

Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Bajones is a jewel in the roughBajones is a jewel in the roughBajones is a jewel in the rough
Bajones's Tacoma Gallery
"Cocked" steering wheel, other steering issues

So, only have about 1500 mi on the ODO and just noticed that the steering wheel is cocked a little bit (to drive straight, wheel is slightly turned). The truck doesn't pull or anything though. Also, when going over rougher terrain the steering feels loose, like there's some unnecessary play (I know there's a TSB for something like this, but more directed at noise knocking noise when steering). This stuff is just annoying for a 30k truck, so I think I should take it to the dealer? Oh, I also heard a nice pop when off roading in 4h the other day, could of been a rock shifting under weight or my mudflaps, I'm hoping this wasn't the 4x4 driveline, cv/ball joint or something like that. Anyway what have you TW?

Edit, noticed the cocked steering wheel after off roading and the looseness has been there all along.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
bcb97 is on a distinguished road
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
I too have the cocked steering and loose steering as well. I noticed it when I test drove it and so did the salesman and I can take it back whenever to get it fixed but I've just been too busy to get back up there. I bought that one cause it only had 7 miles and the other MGM's had over 300 miles on them. I'm interested to see if anybody else has had this problem as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If the wheel isn't straight then that is an alignment issue.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
You're correct, which is the reason why I haven't ran to the dealership to get it fixed. But I do need to do it soon to make sure I have even tire wear.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
It could be caused by alignment if your toe angles are out of whack. It doesn't necessarily indicate an alignment issue, there is a splined shaft that connects the intermediate shaft to the steering rack. If that skipped a tooth or something, could cause your wheels to be straight but steering wheel crooked.
Yes but 99% of the time it is alignment.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
There is a TSB out for the loose feel steering wheel. I had my intermediate shaft replaced and it feels great now.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
2 is 1, 1 is none.
StaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to behold

Army: HIARNG
Name: Mitch
StaticTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I also have the cocked wheel, hardly notice it anymore though. And my tires seem to be doing fine, guess when I get my new lift I'll find out if its alignment
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
guys, just get an alignment and call it good lol
Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Yes, if you haven't touched anything related to the steering, it is most likely an alignment issue. The clunking the OP describes sounds like the intermediate shaft TSB.
I need to stop and read the whole thing. I saw crooked steering wheel and posted. If somehow the joint slipped then yes that could be the problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajones View Post
So, only have about 1500 mi on the ODO and just noticed that the steering wheel is cocked a little bit (to drive straight, wheel is slightly turned). The truck doesn't pull or anything though.
Quote:
That's part of the clockspring and steering column assembly up in the steering wheel in the cab, what I was referring to is the shaft that connects the rack u joint to the intermediate shaft, two totally different spots. Yes, if that steering wheel position sensor is out of whack, you could set of the VSC or airbags, I would recommend only a dealer services that part.
Just responding to the OP's original comment about steering wheel being crooked
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
tombiosis is on a distinguished road

Name: T
tombiosis's Tacoma Gallery
hmmmmmmmm
this thread jumped right out at me as I just had an alignment after putting on my 5100's.
Ever since the alignment, my steering wheel has a slight "cock" to the left, and it feels quite a bit "looser" than before...!?
I'm surprised this happens on newer vehicles...mine is an '05, so no warranty.
can anyone hazard a guess as to how much $$$ I would be looking at to have Toyota fix the loose steering?
I am kicking myself for getting the alignment at all! I only lifted to .85 (have rear TSB), and the truck drove better on the way to alignment shop than when I left. I couldn't really tell immediately afterwards...you have to drive it for awhile to get the feel for it. I only got the alignment because everyone says it was necessary...the truckwas not pulling after the slight lift...
Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Oceanrunner is on a distinguished road

Oceanrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have to stop reading these threads. You guys just gave me one more thing to obsess about on my new truck with 800 miles on it
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanrunner View Post
I have to stop reading these threads. You guys just gave me one more thing to obsess about on my new truck with 800 miles on it
x2 haha! Does anybody know the TSB # for the loose steering?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanrunner View Post
T-SB-0119-10-2[1]

I felt the loose steering wheel the first time i drove it over a set of train tracks with 36 miles on it.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #16

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...-0119-10-2.pdf
Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
TacomaUtah is on a distinguished road

TacomaUtah's Tacoma Gallery
2011 with loose steering play

my 2011 has a loose steering front end play that is amplified off road and feels horrible. It had in off the lot and now with 12k its more noticeable on the road now...

ive had it check 2 times 2 dealers nothing wrong.....
Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #18
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaUtah View Post
my 2011 has a loose steering front end play that is amplified off road and feels horrible. It had in off the lot and now with 12k its more noticeable on the road now...

ive had it check 2 times 2 dealers nothing wrong.....
http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenan...37421&type=tsb

tsb's for this problem