Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2.7 or 4.0

Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #41
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Sorry updated info after you quoted, but the GR family started 2003, the actual 4.0 started 2004... Same basic motor design of course so, you could make the claim both designs are just as old.
I'm pretty sure the 4.0 also started in 2003, the 4runner got it in the 4th generation which started in 2003.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #42
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
the 2tr-fe and the 3rz-fe of the first gen tacoma are very similar. I just mean the overall design of toyota 4 bangers are way older than the v6 design.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #43
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Either way, it annoys me when people just assume the current 2.7L is the 3RZ-FE series that was in the first gens, when it's not
Old 06-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #44
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They both started in 2003... (the families, 4.0L 2004 as said above)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nes#Straight-4

I4 = 2TR-FE
V6 = 1GR-FE

Also any motor will see very slight gains in power over a proper break in cycle... emphasis on very slight
the gains are far more noticeable in the 4 banger though

edit: example- theorize a 5hp gain in either engine. the 5 hp is a much bigger percentage gain in power of the 2.7 over the v6
Old 06-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #45
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
the 2tr-fe and the 3rz-fe of the first gen tacoma are very similar. I just mean the overall design of toyota 4 bangers are way older than the v6 design.
Sure they're similar. Then again, the LS1 is similar to the old SBC 350's in the 60's. Just say'n.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #46

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure they're similar. Then again, the LS1 is similar to the old SBC 350's in the 60's. Just say'n.
ah yes but i would trust the reliabilty of the lt1 over the ls1 because the lt1 block and design has been proven far longer than the ls1

meant lt not ls, misread...

the ls engine is completely different than the lt. whats the differences between the 3rz and 2tr?

to me the 3rz vs 2tr is like saying ls1 vs ls6
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #47
ohdrj1all will become famous soon enoughohdrj1all will become famous soon enough

ohdrj1all's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually that's not true. The LS1 was a "clean slate" design by GM Powertrain division. It is a totally new and unique architecture that was not based on the venerable Chevrolet small block design. It's an entirely different motor. It shares nothing in common with the old 350 small blocks except the 5.7L designation and even that was due to rounding up the LS1 as it is really only 346ci (5.66L). (the 350ci is a bit over the 5.7L mark at 5.73L... the LS1 was rounded up intentionally for marketing concerns)

But I digress... the point I think people are trying to make is that the basic design of Toyotas I4 motors is much older than the their V6s and therefore more "proven". But... in reality, their V6s have been around long enough now to be considered solid and proven too in their own right. To me then it's less about whether on is a "proven design" or not (which I think we can all agree they both are)... but the simple fact that the I4 is a simpler design with 1/3 less moving parts to go wrong and with less maintenance costs associated with it. These things will all add up eventually in the "durability/dependability/reliability" scheme of things.

If I only had one vehicle and it was a Tacoma, honestly, I'd probably pop for the V6/auto because all in all that combo is more versitile (better power, better towing, more "ease of driving", etc). But since the Taco I will buy will be a 4th vehicle used mainly for commuting, light hauling (maybe a bit of light towing) and camping the I4 is the logical choice for me. With gas giving us the stink-eye from the $5/gal range soon every mpg counts... and for any heavier towing I have my wife's Jeep Commander (6500 GVW) with the factory tow package to do the trick. And to fulfill my "need for speed" I have my old 1988 Corvette to hot rod around in on the weekends. Being an 88 it doesn't have much more hp than a V6 Taco (240hp) but it does have a ton of torque (335tq) and is a fun as hell on the street.

Anyway, for some guys the V6 is the right choice, for others the I4 is... there's no wrong answer here, just what's right for each individual and their situation. Both are solid motors, both will last a long time. The I4 will do so with less up front cost (ie, price), less fuel costs, less maintenance costs, and probably has the edge in overall durability/dependability/reliability (though unless you keep it significantly past the 200k mile mark you'd probably never reach that tipping point where you'd notice the overall durability/dependability/reliability). But the V6 offers more power and versatility with not too bad of a fuel economy penalty. So there's really no point in saying "this one is better". Just this one is better for my situation... but as always... YMMV.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #48
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
If there's much likelihood that you'll put in a lift and oversized (overweight!) tires down the line, the greater power of the V6 is probably worthwhile.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #49
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Oh yes it does. I love manual transmission vehicles but I know what vehicle they are needed in and what vehicle they would be annoying in.
This man right here folks, speaks the truth. Manual tranny in a sports car is fun, in a big ass slow ass pickup truck, its annoying. Bye bye.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #50
ohdrj1all will become famous soon enoughohdrj1all will become famous soon enough

ohdrj1all's Tacoma Gallery
That is your opinion... not a statement of truth. 2+2 = 4 is a truth. I like 3 better than 4 is an opinion. Some folks just prefer manuals. Some prefer autos. I can take or leave either depending on the situation. I have a friend who hates autos and never buys one if he can get the same vehicle in a manual. To him the auto is annoying... but that's his personal opinion and his personal choice.

Manuals have their place in any vehicle line up. 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesel trucks are offered in manual right along side of their automatic brethren. Most prefer the autos (and more autos sell), but there is always that person who wants the versatility of the manual so that he can control the revs and do it his way (which is actually good when pulling something really heavy... which is why 18-wheelers are manuals).

No one person can speak authoritatively for what another person prefers... it's not truth... it's opinion, and opinions are like @$$holes... we all have them... and to most everyone else, our own stink!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #51
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2.7 double cab. No complains. I do speed limit and change lanes when I get tailgated.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #52
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I think the OP bought his truck like 2 1/2 pages ago.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #53
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
I think the OP bought his truck like 2 1/2 pages ago.
That's not important right now.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #54
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
i bitch about the mileage in my 4.0 and have kicked around trading it in on an AC 4cyl 5mt but like all of my buddys at work said as soon as i do that then i'll be bitching about not having any power i have a 4cyl 5mt AWD car that gets 28mpg so i just drive it when the price at the pump really makes me mad, my truck is averaging inbetween 18-19mpg right now with bilsteins set at 1.75 in the front, AT tires, and a 125lb winch bumper so i guess that's not too bad, it rides like a log wagon cause i have my aired up to about the max lol
Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #55
Tacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to all

Name: Mike
Tacoma206's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should go test drive both the I4 and the V6. You can read all of these comments (there are lots of discussions on the 4-banger vs V6), but in order for you to actually know what you want, you should go test drive both of them. If you are serious about getting a truck, make sure you get the one you want, and while our comments are only suggestions and opinions, you are the one who has to drive the truck everyday. Personally I don't think one is truly better than another, you just have to decide what you are using the truck for. I have the I4 and my brother has the V6 (both manuals), and while he gives me shit because he climbs a hill a little bit faster than I can, I love not having to go to the gas station as often. Its your call.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #56
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Buy the diesel version.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #57
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
30+ MPG and ability to haul well over 1,000 lbs is great! I4 for me!

(500.3 miles on this tank and I've yet to see the gas light.)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #58
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
30+ MPG and ability to haul well over 1,000 lbs is great! I4 for me!

(500.3 miles on this tank and I've yet to see the gas light.)
Checked your fuelly stats. Wow, that is some impressive mileage you are getting out of it, but probably not not gonna happen with a 4cyl 5mt 4x4 AC which would be the lowest I would settle for.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #59
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
Checked your fuelly stats. Wow, that is some impressive mileage you are getting out of it, but probably not not gonna happen with a 4cyl 5mt 4x4 AC which would be the lowest I would settle for.
Thank you sir. And I agree with you. I think if I was driving a 2.7 4x4 I could probably get 25-26 out of it...maybe 27.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #60
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
Thank you sir. And I agree with you. I think if I was driving a 2.7 4x4 I could probably get 25-26 out of it...maybe 27.
Any tips for us on how to hyper mile?