Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2.7 or 4.0

Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #101
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
So you got the off road package but you don't plan on going offroad
Good luck with the new truck.
Maybe he likes the options,got a deal,it was the color he liked,etc..What's your problem? If you wanna nit-pick why the Hell would they make an offroad package in 2wd to begin with?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #102
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
Maybe he likes the options,got a deal,it was the color he liked,etc..What's your problem? If you wanna nit-pick why the Hell would they make an offroad package in 2wd to begin with?
What about people who own a gun, but dont intend on shooting people?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #103
bayoutaco is on a distinguished road
bayoutaco's Tacoma Gallery
i liked the looks of the off road package, and im not saying ill never need to use it, im glad to have the locker and all the off road equipment should the need ever arise.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #104
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
dont air down much do you... oh wait why would you in a 5 lug...
Don't see your point. E load tires are designed for hauling a lot of weight...like 3k+ lbs. Something no Tacoma can do.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #105
MY point?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #106
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
Don't see your point. E load tires are designed for hauling a lot of weight...like 3k+ lbs. Something no Tacoma can do.
Try to find an MT in a 285 that's not E rated
Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #107
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoutaco View Post
MY point?
He was responding to another poster
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #108
oh ok my bad lol.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #109
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoutaco View Post
so ill be choosing between a 2011 extended cab with the 2.7 or a used 2009 4.0 extended cab with the TRD package. question is, is the 2.7 powerful enough to push around the extended cab truck, or do they struggle? looking mostly for fuel economy and reliability. i can get the the brand new 2011 for 21,000 and the used TRD for the same price. i plan to keep this truck for many years, and looking for the best fuel economy and power, also a little bit of towing here and there.
I have the 2.7L 5spd, AC and love it, but no one asked you if the other 09 4.0 AC TRD truck was a sport or offroad model? This makes a big difference and could sway your decision from the 2.7L vs the 4.0.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #110
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
air down a p rated tire and see how long the sidewall lasts... yes load e is for hauling alot of weight but this is due to sidewall strength.

e load is a 10 ply sidewall rating...
Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #111
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^Exactly right, and that's why I put P rated Destination AT's on my poser mobile: I will never air them down.

I always find these "Why get this or that if you aren't going to do/need X?" discussions fascinating because it boils down to one answer, really: It's my money and I bought what I wanted.

I still like Nathan's hot dogs the best.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #112
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was happy with the SR5 package on my 2005 DCLB, suited me fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
and if your really gonna offroad just buy a reg cab

x10
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #113
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get the 2.7 myself, personally.

And I own a 4.0 Double Cab 4x4 Long Box 5 speed auto.

I used to own a 1993 3.0 liter V6 3vze (150 HP/180 lb TQ) XtraCab 4x4 Pickup 5 speed manual for nearly 5 years and I have test driven
a Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 5 speed with the 2.7 and the 2.7 was a bit more powerful (164 HP/183 TQ - at the time - this is apples to apples using the same engine HP ratings for each truck - the way they are rated today is different with 159 HP and 180 TQ), and had much better throttle response at the time and I essentially got to do a back to back comparison at the time.

While I appreciate the 4.0 liter I have in the power department, and the mileage is about the same as my 3vze equipped truck (they weigh fairly similar to each other), however the 4.0 has more power obviously, I'd still take the 2.7 4 cylinder in your application.

If you have doubts in the power department, there are some high quality aftermarket mods, such as the LCE headers available as well as several exhausts, that not only will give you a bit more cajones, but also make the engine even more fuel efficient.

Also, don't be afraid to put the 2.7 to work. With some decent fluids (aka high quality synthetic oils) and regular maintenance, this engine will do you proud if you're not afraid to make it do what engines are supposed to do. I never abused my 3.0 liter V6, in my old xtracab 93 pickup as I maintained religiously with top of the line Amsoil synthetic fluids, but I can tell you it was geared quite a bit lower stock, than the Toyota trucks of today. The stock rear end was 4.56 with the 5 speed manual with 31" tires so at highway speeds I was turning between 2700 and 3200 RPM's. I drove 17 hours home from a fishing trip up north in 2005 and the entire way, about 1000 miles or so, I had that engine pushing 3000 RPM's plus/minus 200 RPM's depending on the stretch of highway. It just happily purred along smoothly getting us home without a hiccup, with over 150,000 miles on the engine at the time. I sold that truck to my Uncle in 2009 with well over 200,000 miles and the engine ran like a top. My uncle, ironically, was using my 93 as a replacement for his 95 Pickup, which was indentical to mine, even in colour, which had well over 250,000 miles on his, and he passed it on to his son, and he couldn't see himself driving any other model of truck.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #114
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
He bought the V6.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:31 AM   #115
zxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to all

zxtaco636's Tacoma Gallery
The 2.7l has some power but obviously it is not equal to the 4.0l. The 2.7l has enough power to pull around an access cab with no problem, and you will also have enough power to pull around a light trailer. If you are more worried about fuel economy the 2.7l is definitely the way to go, just my thoughts though.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #116
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Never gets tiring for the diehard manual enthusiasts
Tell me that in 30 years.

Steve
Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #117
itsryan is on a distinguished road
itsryan's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 all the way. i also had the same decision between i4 and v6. I have driven the 4.0 liter a lot, my dad had one for awhile and it does have a lot of power but not as much as my Chevy 2500 with a 450 block which can move a house if a wanted lol . But I am happy with the 2.7 however, i get 22 city driving and 24-25 on open highway.

5 speed all the way, better for off roading, racing (not in 2.7 lol), and fuel efficiency. the only time i would say auto tranny is better is when im stuck in LA traffic, or in a v8