1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any tips on installing lower grillcraft insert?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sofiasdad11, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jun 2, 2011 at 3:22 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    so i installed the main and small outside "wings" grillcraft inserts last week and plan to do the lower section today. i've noticed this isn't very popular here----wonder why? anyhow i've read removing the bumper cover isn't necessary but makes accessing the fasteners easier. any tips before i begin???????????:rolleyes:

2. Jun 2, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Take the cover off, it's MUCH easier. FYI, I took the cover off and on by myself so it isn't even a two person job. Only other advice is to take your time getting it lined up before drilling and be ready for the fact that the little bolts and those square nuts are even more of a PITA on the lower part.

But IMHO, the look is worth it unless you plan on a light/bull bar at some point, then the lower grill would seem to be worthless.

Also, if you plan on blacking out the lower bumper area as some have done. Do it now when the bumper cover is off and before the lower grill is installed.

3. Jun 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    You should use some blue painters tape around the bumper cover edges. Look at these pics. The cover is clumsy when you get it off. The tape will help prevent scratches. I also did the edges of the bumper cover, I just do not have pics of that.

I put mine on sawhorses to do the surgery. Have the saw horses in place wrapped in a towel or something soft BEFORE you remove the cover. That way, you have some where to put the cover safely.

grille012_ef6a011b83d0a06541321e14ce9e3dea3f7a3b4c.jpg
    grille010_ad35c1a1c12a278766daf77db61fb2a16fcc89c5.jpg

4. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    battlegeek

battlegeek Silly-villian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Sand Pearl TRD OR DC SB
    Debadged, AVIC-Z2 HU, Volant intake
    Score, I was going to do this this weekend, awesome timing!

Products Discussed in

To Top