Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Must CB Antenna mount be grounded ?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
Must CB Antenna mount be grounded ?

Plan on installing antenna mount to bed or bed rail must the mount be grounded?
Thanks as always.
Craig
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
Plan on installing antenna mount to bed or bed rail must the mount be grounded?
Thanks as always.
Craig
Yes, SWR will be through the roof and may damage your radio if you don't, not to mention you wont get out at all.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
An antenna that needs a ground plane is going to be a pretty poor performer on a composite bed. You need more than just a DC ground for good antenna performance -- it needs to be over a decent counterpoise, generally a (horizontal/perpendicular) body panel. That's why center roof mount is almost always ideal.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
If i understand correctly. I can mount in bed but I must wire the mount to ground. I also understabd that TX/RX will not be optimum. Does this kind of cover it?
Thank
Craig
Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
If i understand correctly. I can mount in bed but I must wire the mount to ground. I also understabd that TX/RX will not be optimum. Does this kind of cover it?
Thank
Craig
If you're going to do that, I'd run BRAID down to the frame. Not ideal, but provides a better RF ground than solid or stranded wire. I really don't know how effective the antenna will be, but that's better than nothing.

I toyed with the idea of running braid under the bed in a grid pattern to provide an artificial counterpoise (to use a 5/8 wave VHF antenna back there) but decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I'll mount on a body seam up front, on the roof, or use a 1/2 wave.