Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

11 quarts of oil mistake

Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Click the "Don't be a bro" link in my sig. Well that guy tried to say he got hit or something. He was a total asshole and even bragged about getting away with it on the forum. Well some info got to the insurance fraud bureau and the owner spend a day in "jail" and probably had to pay a fine.
I remember hearing about that, never saw the video though.... hahaha dumb ass
Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, I wouldn't be too worked up. As bad as it seems to liquid lock the engine, you would need enough oil in it to seep past the rings on the lowest piston, not very likely.

It most likely made a big foamy frothy whirring sound.

As for the tranny, it's all bearings and wet clutches, you really didn't work it hard so it should be fine. For the most part these trucks with automatics shift so soft, you may have helped it shift better.

Drive it and enjoy it. You have a warranty, not saying commit fraud, but if it lasts for a couple years and acts up, very unlikely it was caused by this. You would do best to forget it ever happened, but don't try it again.

PK
Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #23
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Toyota really should stamp the names of the components in the pans. It would avoid a lot of potential damage.
PLEASE!
Just step back from the motor if you do not know what your doing...I can not believe anyone with minimal mechanical abilities would drain the tranny instead of the motor oil.

OP - your probably lucky you did not drive far, as suggested you should flush the tranny and refill. If everything is good to go from here, just check daily that no seals, gaskets, etc. were blown on the motor during the ordeal. I bet you will be ok...
Old 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
PLEASE!
Just step back from the motor if you do not know what your doing...I can not believe anyone with minimal mechanical abilities would drain the tranny instead of the motor oil.
The the engine oil pan is not your typical pan. It is the little mini pan bolted to a larger pan.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #25
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The the engine oil pan is not your typical pan. It is the little mini pan bolted to a larger pan.
I like to touch my mini-pan
Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #26
dano 5 has a spectacular aura aboutdano 5 has a spectacular aura about
dano 5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PLEASE!

OP - your probably lucky you did not drive far, as suggested you should flush the tranny and refill. If everything is good to go from here, just check daily that no seals, gaskets, etc. were blown on the motor during the ordeal. I bet you will be ok...
I am not a professional mechenic nor do I act like one. I have change the oil in all my vehicles w/no problems so sorry to disapiont you and most oil pan I have seen look larger than a quart of oil like these. thanks though.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #27
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Toyota really should stamp the names of the components in the pans. It would avoid a lot of potential damage.
Or make the trans pan drain/fill plugs allen head or something.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #28
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG'sTACO View Post
Old 06-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #29
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear this...seems to be happening alot with these trucks. I think the main thing for people to remember is engine oil normally drains out from under the engine. I'd say you lucked out not driving far. Like mentioned don't hesitate to get the tranny fluid changed again and keep a close eye for oil leaks. Enjoy the truck and welcome to TacomaWorld!!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #30
FJ Cruiser
KEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kurt
KEG'sTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to KEG'sTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
do they make those for Tacomas? It might be able to keep James on the ground
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #31
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
Yay! Advising the OP commit fraud.
I hope the OP knows im kidding.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #32
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do they make those for Tacomas? It might be able to keep James on the ground
Haha, dude...

Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #33
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
I like to touch my mini-pan
Well ummmm....huh. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #34
FJ Cruiser
KEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kurt
KEG'sTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to KEG'sTACO
Quote:
Well ummmm....huh. I'll have to give it a try.
you're going to try touching his mini-pan...that's...eentuhrestingz
Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #35
Banned
Quote:
you're going to try touching his mini-pan...that's...eentuhrestingz
Nope. I have my own mini pan.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #37
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PLEASE!

THANK YOU!

Quote:
Well there is always the whole... IT'S UNDER THE ENGINE, and the trans, well kind of, IS A GOOD 2 1/2 FEET BEHIND THE OIL PAN!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #39
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
Well there is always the whole... IT'S UNDER THE ENGINE, and the trans, well kind of, IS A GOOD 2 1/2 FEET BEHIND THE OIL PAN!!!!
It's also very obvious where the engine ends and the transmission begins if you look at it for more than 2 seconds
Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #40
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
Still. Some people see a pan and drain plug and grab a wrench.