Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

11 quarts of oil mistake

Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #41
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Still. Some people see a pan and drain plug and grab a wrench.
Then you shouldn't be working on your own truck.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #42
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
Well some want to learn.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #43
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well maybe "they should do more research on their truck before they do" is a better way of putting it. the dude called out his mistake and was asking for advice, i commend him for it. he sure as hell aint the first to do it.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #44
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
I like how no one here ever wants to provide help. Just bitch about mistakes others make. OP glad you were brave enough to ask for help. Some people just don't know how to help. I am sure they blame their parents.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #45
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
I like how no one here ever wants to provide help. Just bitch about mistakes others make. OP glad you were brave enough to ask for help. Some people just don't know how to help. I am sure they blame their parents.
He already fixed it so what help can we give? All he wants to know is there was damaged don't but the only real way to find out is to tear down the engine.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #46
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I would have just not made this thread, and taken it back to the dealership and ask wtf? I want a new truck. lol

But that's just me.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #47
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You can't gravity-drain all the fluid out of the tranny, so it was basically running at 1/3 full.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #48
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Still. Some people see a pan and drain plug and grab a wrench.
Exactly. That's what happened to me. In fact, I actually stopped, when back to the computer to look, and still did it.

Know why?

With my truck and the skid plate, it hides the oil pan and the plug. However, bright as day, the tranny plug is sitting there.

Seriously, kudos for the guy coming here and asking for help. The rest of you shits ragging on him can go elsewhere and believe that your crap is purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.

Edit - OP: Go Here for a bit of a laugh.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #49
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He already fixed it so what help can we give? All he wants to know is there was damaged don't but the only real way to find out is to tear down the engine.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/help

Related Words: advise
Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #50
Banned
Quote:
Ok what is your advise all knowing one?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #51
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok what is your advise all knowing one?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #52
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well some want to learn.
I understand. But if you're not sure, check 5 times before pulling a plug. Learning the hard way isn't a great approach when working on your $25K+ truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
well maybe "they should do more research on their truck before they do" is a better way of putting it. the dude called out his mistake and was asking for advice, i commend him for it. he sure as hell aint the first to do it.
Absolutely. I misspoke. He should have done a little more research or pulled all skid plates and really taken a look. No hate. Just personally have trouble hearing stories like this because if I'm not sure, I go do the research before I take a chance on my sole transportation.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #54
Banned
Quote:
I understand. But if you're not sure, check 5 times before pulling a plug. Learning the hard way isn't a great approach when working on your $25K+ truck
Yes true. The problem is the research. No one does it.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #55

wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
My advice: Look for new oil leaks. Check your oil level daily for a few weeks. Drive with the radio off and listen for strange noises from the engine and/or transmission. If any of those show a sign of trouble (oil leaks/grinding noises) take to a reputable mechanic to further investigate. And I did not say I was all knowing, just no reason for people to be an ass to everyone who post something.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #56
Banned
Quote:
My advice: Look for new oil leaks. Check your oil level daily for a few weeks. Drive with the radio off and listen for strange noises from the engine and/or transmission. If any of those show a sign of trouble (oil leaks/grinding noises) take to a reputable mechanic to further investigate. And I did not say I was all knowing, just no reason for people to be an ass to everyone who post something.
Great job.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #57
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano 5 View Post
I am not a professional mechenic nor do I act like one. I have change the oil in all my vehicles w/no problems so sorry to disapiont you and most oil pan I have seen look larger than a quart of oil like these. thanks though.
Even though I kinda tooled you, you knew many guys would want to give you a hard time for your mistake. I do applaude you for stepping up and looking for advise, which I also offered. I was actually giving the other guy a hard time for suggesting a "stamped pan for idiots" idea. Sorry you were offended but before you do a DIY project I suggest you study the project and know how to go about it prior to starting. I am not a pro mechanic, but like you I have done basic maintenance on all my motors from cars, trucks, boats, lawn equipment, etc. Even though its just an oil change, there are differences with many motors. Sorry, but I still can not understand how anyone can do this. However, as you may know now, there are many here who have done it so I guess you should not feel so bad?...
Old 06-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #58
justinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
justinhw's Tacoma Gallery
Concerns about overfilling the engine oil have been already brought up - what I have to add is that when you pulled the transmission drain plug you did not drain the transmission dry. There is a lot of fluid that is retained within the transmission itself (valve bodies, passages, etc). If you take a look at the FSM here, it implies to me that the total capacity is about 5.3L, with only 1.3L being in the pan that you drained.

Although I don't think it would be wise to drive any significant distance without correct volume, given that you noticed it almost immediately and did the correct thing (pulling over and checking everything) I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you had absolutely no trans fluid, the transmission would not shift (no fluid pressure).

I think other people are correct in suggesting you should keep an eye on it and change the trans. filter (fsm link here) to play it safe.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #59

wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I prefer macadamia nut; but this one will do. Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #60
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
autozone should start holding diy self classes