Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

11 quarts of oil mistake

Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
dano 5 has a spectacular aura aboutdano 5 has a spectacular aura about
dano 5's Tacoma Gallery
11 quarts of oil mistake

I am another one of those guys that drained the tranny on the first oil change. I only made the problem worse because it was dark and I am color blind.....so I filled it bak up w/oil. yah just topped it off with stupid and ignorence. Then not realizing that I then had no trans fluid 11 quarts of oil I start my truck, warmed it up, revved it up pretty good, and tryed to take it for a "cuise". It didn't ride very nice so I pulled it back into the driveway, drained all 11 quarts, and NOW I have 5.5 quarts oil and new trans fluid(thanks to the transdrain/refill post. My question is how much damage could I have done? I have no leaks but engine seams a pinch ruff(probibly in my head but still). When everybody stops laughing, I know it was dumb but any help or advice to make me trust my truck again would be cool. ps I have only owned it 45 day and just made my first payment. ouch!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
well you definatly hurt the engine a little probably. how far did you drive it?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
11 quarts is quite a lot to be in the engine. Hopefully nothing was bent. The potential damages are explained here:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_damag...motor_with_oil
Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
I would be more worried about the lack of transmission fluid. Transmissions are not known to like any travel sans fluid.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
K so just to make sure I understand, you now have everything back to as it should be correct? oil in engine, trans fluid in tranny??? also, if you put oil into your transmission, you should probably get a transmission flush.

Describe the new feeling the engines giving you,
Old 06-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
K so just to make sure I understand, you now have everything back to as it should be correct? oil in engine, trans fluid in tranny??? also, if you put oil into your transmission, you should probably get a transmission flush.

Describe the new feeling the engines giving you,
he didn't put oil where the tranny fluid should be, he just doubled up the oil cause he never took any out.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
so to be clear he ran the truck with no transmission fluid, and he had 11 quarts of oil.

so op how far did you drive?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
if i were u, i'd drain out ur new trans fluid and look for any metal shavings in it. u probably jacked up ur trans worse than the engine.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Toyota really should stamp the names of the components in the pans. It would avoid a lot of potential damage.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx586 View Post
if i were u, i'd drain out ur new trans fluid and look for any metal shavings in it. u probably jacked up ur trans worse than the engine.
This^^

I assume you have an automatic since you keep calling it transmission fluid (manuals tend to just be called gear oil). But yeah, I would get your transmission checked out. I'm surprised it even shifted without fluid since a lot of the function of an automatic depends on the presence of fluid

Running with 11 quarts, your crank was probably spinning in a bath of oil along with your rod connectors. Hopefully nothing was bent.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles does your taco have? You can top off your fluids correctly and take it to toyota and act like it started acting up for no reason. We can call it "WTF tsb."

mods sticky this up top please.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
dano 5's Tacoma Gallery
I refilled my trans w/ trans fluid and refilled my oil w/ 5.5 quarts of oil. I only drove about 1000 feet at less than 5 mph. It idles fine and in park in revs smooth. I drove itabout 18 miles to work today, it shifted fine and I got it up to 75 -80 mph .At lunch I noticed a slight diesiling noise as I accelerated from 40 mph to 50. It just sounds lick it is dogging down slighty. It is probibly in my head but the truck is 05 prerunner w/50k miles but it is still new to me.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mark the bottom of the pan with a grease pen or something so you remember which one is which next time.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
How many miles does your taco have? You can top off your fluids correctly and take it to toyota and act like it started acting up for no reason. We can call it "WTF tsb."
Yay! Advising the OP commit fraud.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
Yay! Advising the OP commit fraud.
Yeah and we all know what happened to the last forum member that committed fraud.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yeah and we all know what happened to the last forum member that committed fraud.
Do tell
Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
dano 5's Tacoma Gallery
sorry ...when I had no trans fluid and double oil I drove only 1000 ft at around 5 mph then fixed everything and drove to work today at the faster speeds described
Old 06-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Do tell
Click the "Don't be a bro" link in my sig. Well that guy tried to say he got hit or something. He was a total asshole and even bragged about getting away with it on the forum. Well some info got to the insurance fraud bureau and the owner spend a day in "jail" and probably had to pay a fine.