Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front differential TSB coming soon??

Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAY25 View Post
Not sure about that. You will notice the vibration through the gas pedal/floorboard.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
its the needle bearing in the front carrier assembly. It is the bearing that allows the CVs to rotate freely when in 2wd. When you go into 4WD you drive the carrier and the CV now moves at the same speed as the carrier and the bearing is no longer rotating. this is why it goes away. the problem only happens on the drivers side because the CV goes directly into the carrier assembly and the needle bearing on this side. Higher CV angles from lift does cause this to happen faster. the passenger side is not an issue because there is an intermediate shaft that rides on the needle bearing and not the CV directly.
I noticed mine before lift and it was documented.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
Had mywhole front diff assy replaced, was making growling bearing noise only in 4hi at certain speeds, noise would come n go like a harmonic noise depending on the speed. Talked to the Toyota field rep, said bearings do go out for some reason. Was replaced immediately. I replaced it, got paid for it. Cuz im a tech for a dealership lol. U don't have to wait for a tsb. If they can reproduce symptom/sound then as long as its still under warranty they should replace it just like any other warranty issue
Old 06-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks tacobo670. Especially with your knowledge of things, do you think the 0.85" lift will be an issue with the dealer and warranty? I could drop it back to stock before going in, but would like to avoid that extra work if it's not a big deal. Thanks for any insight you can give...
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #24
JMAY25 is on a distinguished road
Army: NBC
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
My bilsteins are set at 1.75. I noticed it right after it was lifted. I was told that there was no way the lift was the cause.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #25
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
^^Awesome, thanks. So no mention of the lift at the dealer? Surely they weren't the ones who said there was no way the lift caused it, right? That's very un-dealership-like...
Old 06-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #26
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I was told a new part (the front carrier assembly?) would be coming out with the TSB. I've read on here about others who have the differential replaced, only to have it happen again. Does that make any sense Tacobo670?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
I told them I knew the lift wasn't the cause and they agreed.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #28
pootermobile is on a distinguished road

pootermobile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyota View Post
Interesting... I feel a growl/vibe maybe like you're talking about but hadn't figured out if it was front or rear--makes sense now. I also noticed at last oil change that the front diff is weeping around where the left halfshaft exits. Not a real leak, just a weep on the diff housing itself. Any of you notice this and you think its related?? It doesn't seem like enough fluid to cause a problem, but never know?
This has happened everytime I wheel my truck replace the seal and it stops leaking till the next time. I think what happens is mud gets in behind the dirt shield and just keeps packing in until it pushes the seal in past the larger section of the axle(where its supposed to seal) and then it leaks. Currently doing it for the third time lol. Does anyone else ever have this problem after wheeling their trucks?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #29
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobo670 View Post
Had mywhole front diff assy replaced, was making growling bearing noise only in 4hi at certain speeds, noise would come n go like a harmonic noise depending on the speed. Talked to the Toyota field rep, said bearings do go out for some reason. Was replaced immediately. I replaced it, got paid for it. Cuz im a tech for a dealership lol. U don't have to wait for a tsb. If they can reproduce symptom/sound then as long as its still under warranty they should replace it just like any other warranty issue
Hey Ray! You wanna do mine at same time as my 25k?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #30
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Yes!

I noticed mine before lift and it was documented.
Not saying the lift is the cause, but it can accelerate the failure or help it to show up.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #31
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

idk guys... wat the rep told me was that its just the bearing has a design flaw that makes it wear prematurely regardless of lift. its that over time the bearing just gives out n begins to shit itself (CUZ THERE'S TOO MUCH POWER FOR IT TO HANDLE!!!!) LOL jk. i think we should file a lawsuit for toyota saying that we get stranded when we out wheeling n have them pay us a bazillionmillion dollars for our suffering. imo. lol

jump it, crawl it, bogg it, slide it, smash it, roll it, 4WD ride it till it breaks! bring straps.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #32
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
idk guys... wat the rep told me was that its just the bearing has a design flaw that makes it wear prematurely regardless of lift. its that over time the bearing just gives out n begins to shit itself (CUZ THERE'S TOO MUCH POWER FOR IT TO HANDLE!!!!) LOL jk. i think we should file a lawsuit for toyota saying that we get stranded when we out wheeling n have them pay us a bazillionmillion dollars for our suffering. imo. lol

jump it, crawl it, bogg it, slide it, smash it, roll it, 4WD ride it till it breaks! bring straps.
WINNING!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #33
dtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dtacow's Tacoma Gallery
TSBs piss me off because they are all design/build related, yet expire along with warranty. Those with 2005, 2006 etc. are Sh_t Out of Luck. Toyota needs to improve their design/testing of their vehicles before I buy another one.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacow View Post
TSBs piss me off because they are all design/build related, yet expire along with warranty. Those with 2005, 2006 etc. are Sh_t Out of Luck. Toyota needs to improve their design/testing of their vehicles before I buy another one.
imo, thats y i waited for a little bit when the new models came out so they can work out the bugs (most of them i guess). but then if u get the extended warranty u dont got much to worry about
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #35
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As long as it is documented that you had the issue while you still had a warranty they should recognize it
Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
As long as it is documented that you had the issue while you still had a warranty they should recognize it
word.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #37
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
I am glad I did not get the extended warranty, it would have been a waste of money.
(Extended warranties are a waste of money by definition).
But I did get this diff issue documented way before even my 3yr/36K mile warranty expired. I'd be all over a TSB!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #38
dtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dtacow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
imo, thats y i waited for a little bit when the new models came out so they can work out the bugs (most of them i guess). but then if u get the extended warranty u dont got much to worry about
You're missing the point

The bugs/kinks, whatever you call them should be worked out prior to final production.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #39
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're missing the point

The bugs/kinks, whatever you call them should be worked out prior to final production.
Never are with any manufacturer. That is why everyone has recalls and TSBs. Manufacturers don't test vehicles for thousands and thousands of miles. Therefore, most issues come up after testing. These manufacturers rely on the consumer (us) to inform them of these issues. Once enough consumers have had similar issues, they then look into it further and find solutions. If it was the way you want it, 2008 vehilces would just now be hitting the showroom floors!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #40
dtacow's Tacoma Gallery
Then TSBs should not expire. They should be performed on the truck no matter what the age/mileage-- because they are design flaws. They should be tied to the VIN # and performed once on the truck.

The fact is, Toyota doesn't fix recurring problems. Sloppy steering columns and weak rear suspension are two examples that show up on different models year after year (actually decade after decade). Poor frame rust proofing is another.

Unique to the 2nd gen Tacoma-- poorly designed frame at the engine mounts, tinfoil tailgate.

Maybe the models should be cheaper then for the first 3 years after they come out????

Edit: You've made another point-- Toyota is not really a rung above other automakers.