Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front differential TSB coming soon??

Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #61
JMAY25 is on a distinguished road
Army: NBC
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
When I originally took my truck in, they indicated that it was nothing more than tire noise. I asked to have the tech ride along and he noticed it instantly. You have to let them get a feeling for the ride in 2hi and then switch into 4hi. Repeat this as many times as necessary. I think the front differential TSB for the Tundra lists the exact same symptoms except for maybe a different MPH range.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #62
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacow View Post
This is the final observation I'll make in this thread. Semi-literate morons like yourself are why I avoid the dealership service department.
go wash ur laundry, wash dem skid marks out ur underwear
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #63
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is the final observation I'll make in this thread. Semi-literate morons like yourself are why I avoid the dealership service department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobo670 View Post
go wash ur laundry, wash dem skid marks out ur underwear
I'd recommend TIDE COLDWATER! It's more economical!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #64
JMAY25 is on a distinguished road
Army: NBC
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAY25 View Post
When I originally took my truck in, they indicated that it was nothing more than tire noise. I asked to have the tech ride along and he noticed it instantly. You have to let them get a feeling for the ride in 2hi and then switch into 4hi. Repeat this as many times as necessary. I think the front differential TSB for the Tundra lists the exact same symptoms except for maybe a different MPH range.
That sounds sexual
Old 06-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #65
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
I'd recommend TIDE COLDWATER! It's more economical!
with some OXY Clean!! Go Billy!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #66
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Will this tsb include the 4runner? I just bought a 06 with 57,000
Old 06-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #67

i dont think so.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #68
pootermobile is on a distinguished road

pootermobile's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone done a write up on how to replace this bearing? And maybe have a part # for the bearing? I'd like to replace it and see if it doesn't fix my axle seal leaking. I've had my truck about 10000 miles and have replace the seal 3 times to try and stop the leak but it just keeps on drippin.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #69
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootermobile View Post
Has anyone done a write up on how to replace this bearing? And maybe have a part # for the bearing? I'd like to replace it and see if it doesn't fix my axle seal leaking. I've had my truck about 10000 miles and have replace the seal 3 times to try and stop the leak but it just keeps on drippin.
Let someone else do it and see if there's a different outcome.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #70
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yes, do a search, there are a bunch of threads on the topic. Look for Metallikatz's side bearing replacement thread.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #71
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ment-done.html
Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #72
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're missing the point

The bugs/kinks, whatever you call them should be worked out prior to final production.
Had to comment. The 2nd Gen has been out since 2005, and it still has a bunch of goofy issues. Toyota needs to step up their game.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #73
pootermobile is on a distinguished road

pootermobile's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link Moose. I guess i'll have to try replacing this bearing and possibly the cv shaft too. I do remember seeing hot spots and shiny/smoothe spots on the 'bearing race' part of the cv. If its only 50 bucks I might as well just replace it. Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #74
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the link Moose. I guess i'll have to try replacing this bearing and possibly the cv shaft too. I do remember seeing hot spots and shiny/smoothe spots on the 'bearing race' part of the cv. If its only 50 bucks I might as well just replace it. Thanks for all the info guys!
If you do the replacement be sure to post your results. Would be nice to gather the results of as many DIY replacement experiences as possible here on TW.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #75
SLC TACOMA is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
SLC TACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Oh boy....

Backed my truck out of the driveway yesterday and heard a metallic popping sound when I turned the wheel either way. Sound is coming from the left front wheel well and it kinda sounds like a CV joint that went on one of my older cars. I'm just really hoping that I don't have the 1st catastrophic bearing failure = $$$$$......

Truck is going into the shop that installed my 5100's Wed morning... Not driving it till then..

FWIW- 5100's are set to 2.5 and I had them installed in February. Since then I've put about 5,000 miles of EASY driving on the truck. 40k on it now.

Any armchair mechanics have some E-spec for me?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #76
theturbodog is on a distinguished road
theturbodog's Tacoma Gallery
ARB Locker

I've got this same issue, well out of warranty before I purchased. Not really interested in more of the same parts so I'm thinking this is a good excuse to get an ARB Locker. I can't tell from the exploded diagrams I've found floating around, but it seems like the ARB would replace the needle bearing and everything around it. Anyone know for sure or solved their vibration with a new diff?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #77
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
Resurrection to see if an ARB would help with this problem? Maybe carry the axle differently? I was planning an ARB for the rear but if it solves the problem maybe the front will be earlier on the list. I have 10k on mine and have started getting the intermittent vibe..... DAMN!!