Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front differential TSB coming soon??

Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
JMAY25 is on a distinguished road
Army: NBC
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
Front differential TSB coming soon??

I took my truck in due to the front end growl/vibration that goes away in 4hi this morning. The tech told me that Toyota is aware of the problem with the front differential and that a TSB is in the process of being established. Anyone else heard this?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Would be nice, but I have some doubts until I see that TSB ...
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Doubtful.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You have a 2006? Are you hoping to get it fixed before the powertrain warranty expires?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
I was told that since I came in with the complaint prior to my warranty expiring I would be covered beyond the expiration date.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAY25 View Post
I was told that since I came in with the complaint prior to my warranty expiring I would be covered beyond the expiration date.

Get that in writing from the dealer now.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Better get that in writing...from the owner of the dealership.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
Plan on it when I return on Monday. An employee backed into my truck while in service causing damage to the driver bedside
Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
I now have it in writing.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^Good man^^^^.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Is that what that is? I couldn't place it. Is it only in 2hi? I got the throw out bearing tsb done and its still there...
Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
What dealership? I might have to drive down there before I hit 60k
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
Springfield IL. The tech is supposed to get back to me as far as when the TSB is expected. I showed him a copy of the TSB out on the Tundra for the same issue and that is what caused the tech to fully understand my complaint.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
It is only in 2hi, most noticable between 35-40 mph. It goes away as soon as you flip it into 4hi.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAY25 View Post
It is only in 2hi, most noticable between 35-40 mph. It goes away as soon as you flip it into 4hi.
That's mine! Sweet! I know what the frick it is now.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting... I feel a growl/vibe maybe like you're talking about but hadn't figured out if it was front or rear--makes sense now. I also noticed at last oil change that the front diff is weeping around where the left halfshaft exits. Not a real leak, just a weep on the diff housing itself. Any of you notice this and you think its related?? It doesn't seem like enough fluid to cause a problem, but never know?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #17
JMAY25's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about that. You will notice the vibration through the gas pedal/floorboard.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
its the needle bearing in the front carrier assembly. It is the bearing that allows the CVs to rotate freely when in 2wd. When you go into 4WD you drive the carrier and the CV now moves at the same speed as the carrier and the bearing is no longer rotating. this is why it goes away. the problem only happens on the drivers side because the CV goes directly into the carrier assembly and the needle bearing on this side. Higher CV angles from lift does cause this to happen faster. the passenger side is not an issue because there is an intermediate shaft that rides on the needle bearing and not the CV directly.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

^^Nice summary, PRS2TiFJ, thanks. Do you think the dealer will make a stink about a 0.85" 5100 lift and claim the warranty is void? And is it a critical issue once you feel the wear? I would imagine any bearing assembly going bad is not going to suit the diff very well...
Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #20
well.....

And thanks, JMAY25. I think this is the same groan I feel, though it's not terrible. Did yours start mild and progress, or was it pretty static?