1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Older Vs. Newer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rick C, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Rick C

Rick C [OP] Member

Member:
    Aledo Tx.
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4X4,05 Prerunner
    I have had 5 Toyota trucks since 1985, 2-4x4s, 2-2wd's and 1-preunner. I currently have a 2001 4x4 2.7 ltr and a 2005 prerunner with the 4.0 V-6. their model yrs. where and are 85,88,93,01, and 05. While they are still good trucks, it seems as though the ones designed and built in Japan were just a bit better quality. I don't know...maybe it's just me? :rolleyes:

PS. I wouldn't keep buying them If I thought they were junk, this is just an observation

2. Jun 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I completely agree.

Good example is first gen tacomas vs third gen 4runners. The tacos have a rep for rusting out in the frame, 4runners do not. Visually, the two appear to be almost the same vehicle. Major difference is the 4runner was built in Japan.

I think Lexus is still built in Japan, not sure about the current 4runner or Landcruiser, but it seems like Toyota keeps the models they are most proud of ($$$) closer to home where they can keep a close eye on their production.

3. Jun 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    Rick C

Rick C [OP] Member

Member:
    Aledo Tx.
    Vehicle:
    What really concerns me is I just found out that Toyota demanded that the US designers had to have the designs and engineering changes approved back in Japan by Toyota, and now they no longer have to do that. I think the US engineers can do it if the design culture the Japanese have had was adopted here. But I'm afraid that "profit first" "5S" "hire by and for Diversity " crap that the American aircraft industry is going through will do damage to thier quality,It has ours! And as a 26yr Union member, I will say this. If the UAW is allowed in the American Toyota factorys........It's OVER!

4. Jun 4, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    X2 retired UBCJ here Ive had tacomas back to 84 (before they were tacomas) Not happy with my 07 trd sr5 crew to much small shit is not working. Test drove new f150 with turbo last night. Nice truck but I just cant do it yet. This is the first toyota I cant wait to get rid of. Race to the top toyota let us long time folks down. Jim

5. Jun 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Im on my 2nd tacoma now and compared to the 98 that I had the quality is complete shit. My parents 4runner never had any rattles, rusting issues or driveline vibrations. Like i told the General manager at the dealer i get my truck serviced-i would expect these issues with other truck manufacturers but not toyota.I've never mistreated my truck in any way and even get it serviced at the dealer and I still feel like the quality just isint there. I've always been a strong supporter of Toyota and got my whole family into them as well. My next vehicle will probably 80 series Land Cruiser or a 4 runner but no more tacomas. I've owned and driven lots of vehicles and never have seen such problems on a truck so new.

6. Jun 4, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Bingo we have a winner, Toyota I hope you are reading this!!!!!!! Jim

7. Jun 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    My 2001 was Fremont built, is a hair away from 100,000 miles, and has had nothing but maintainance and new rear springs/front and rear shocks. I cannot part with this truck. At this point, it has become a family friend. My Rosie suffers the same loyalty to her 100% Japan built 1987 Celica GTS. That car, is seething with old school Toyota stellar quality. You can really see the difference in the old ones-she has tougher sheet metal than my truck, and super thick leather inside that still has that great leather aroma after 24 years.
    Both vehicles run as if new. How the hell can either one of us part with such automotive greatness? We can afford to, we both have our dream new vehicles we would buy. We just keep what we have for the above reasons, as well as because of the horror stories we've heard here and elsewhere about newer vehicles.
    Because of the doubt with new Tacomas, I'm out. If Ford trucks weren't so frikkin fat and ugly, I may consider one when it's time if they would tone down the inflated body look a bit.
    I've said it before-Toyota is a victim of insane demand and diminished work ethic, period. I was too lucky to get in under the wire with this truck.

8. Jun 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Rick C

Rick C [OP] Member

Member:
    Aledo Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Wow! I haven't had many "real" problems out of mine. the 01 is at 152k with only a battery,two sets of tires, and a blower motor for the A/C going out ,and is driven 62 miles a day minimum. Not even brakes yet, though I'm sure the fronts are getting close to needing replacement. Haven't had the 05 long (2 mos.) and the temp gauge/compass was broke, but with a little solder that was fixed. I change the oil every 5k with mobil 1,and replace belts and hoses at 100k, spark plugs every 30k.
    It's just an over all feeling I have, that and reading some of you all's post about your problems. the 85 4x4 was my favorite,and the 88 was a damn good one also. I guess it's more fit and finish on the 01 and 05 so far. I want to see some 05-06's with 150,200,and 250 k on them first.

9. Jun 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Bought my 2011 mostly for rep of reliability. I've had it less than 3 months and had it get stuck in 4LO once and had to take it in for a rattle, temp control issue and now my button next to A/C to circulate air randomly stopped working... are these big issues? No. Am i a little pissed my first brand new truck I've ever owned keeps having things not work......!?

10. Jun 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Boy, you guys aren't making this new owner feel all sunshiny and stuff. *pouts* This is my first Toyota. I hope this truck isn't gonna go all GM or Dodge on me. :(

11. Jun 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    I actually still own my first toyota truck(86 2wd), its got over 335,000 miles and been great. I bought my 09 new, now with 25,000 miles I really have no complaints, the only real issue was the radio recall, besides that I am very happy with it.

12. Jun 4, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    ^^^ glimmer of hope!! :)

13. Jun 4, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    so, im quoting myself cuz now my wiper fluid is trickling out onto my hood instead of spraying onto my widsheild, i havent popped the hood to check the level cuz i noticed it right when i pulled up and definitely just said f it ha but wether its out of fluid already or just not working im pissed, so yeah... fna

14. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Bah, I've had an 88 Toyota pickup, 2005 DcLb sr5 4x4, and now a 2011 4x2 base, my opinion is some of you guys whine too much about minor shit. Look at the competition's problems. there is no perfect truck unless you build a one off 100% custom rig with an endless supply of $$.
    I will continue to buy Toyota trucks as I always have!! now for the :crapstorm:

15. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires

still love my taco, still appreciate its value in every aspect, i see where you're coming from, and if my truck was a few years old a few minor things wouldnt bug me. the fact that i picked it up 2 and a half months and 3,600 miles ago and ive had like 5 "minor" issues is a bit frustrating though.. just bad luck i suppose

16. Jun 5, 2011 at 2:48 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    I love America and I know its the best country in the world. With that said, bottom line is leave it to the american auto workers to totally f*&k up a great thing. Toyota's were great before they were made here. Its the same old American Auto Workers Union that allows substandard work. I know I will receive trashing over this statement by a few members on this site. The proof is in the pudding-just compare made in japan vehicles to made in america vehicles.

17. Jun 5, 2011 at 2:53 AM
    Rick C

Rick C [OP] Member

Member:
    Aledo Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Matt,
    I agree with you that it is "minor shit" but people like Oldtimer and myself, who have had the 80's and early 90's models know, we didn't have to put up with any of the "minor shit" I still luv my trucks. But the "minor shit" makes us think, what's changed? This stuff never happened before? Babytruck! Not to worry, I still feel 100% confident that both my TOYOTA's will start right up, and take me where ever I want to go, I've driven them in single digit temps in 10 to 14 ins. of snow all day, and hauled 2000 lb. trailers in 100 degree plus temps long distances. It's just that things like this Temp/Compass thing, switches braking etc. never happened before.... I can live with it, I just don't like it!

18. Jun 5, 2011 at 3:00 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I bought my 2010 DC TRD SR5 Sport in January. I love it, but after reading here and going to look at a couple used ones recently, I'm a bit remorseful. If I had read this forum first, I would have found a used 1st Gen and invested $15K in major mods.

Live and learn. I'm still looking for the right used 1st gen for a third vehicle. Also had my eye out for a late 80s 4Runner. Love those trucks back in my high school days.

19. Jun 5, 2011 at 3:16 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bought my 09 new. Now have 17k miles on it. Used it like a truck. So far no problems, not a single one (knock on wood).

I agree that older Toyotas may have been better built. But they were also MUCH more crude than the newer ones. One thing that kept me from getting a first gen was the oh-shit interior. The newer Tacos, while still being plastic fantastic, have a much nicer interior and much more room. I think the newer ones have a better ride quality also, a lot of people remark at how my truck rides/drives like a car.

On balance, I am happy with the newer one.

20. Jun 5, 2011 at 4:34 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    My 87' rotted out along the poorly thought out bed seam and while a good truck, was not the supuer truck others make it out to be. Part of the lack of issues was that it was a simple vehicle. I have noticed that some of the same guys who whine about some of the quirks on the newer ones are the same guys that in the next post in a different thread will while about Toyota 'missing the boat' on not having heated mirrors or the like.

After 8 years, my 2000 bought new by me, had holes in the frame that rendered it not able to pass a NY inspection. Junk, in other words, with the only saving grace is that Toyota rewarded me handsomely to buy it back from me to cover their ass. Other than that, it was a good truck...

Regardless of these things, i bought another and am happy so far, as happy, in fact, as i was with the others at like points in their lives.

Comparing a new vehicle with more creature comforts that can have issues with a bare bones fairly crude vehicle of yesteryear is a little apples and oranges, but these are my experiences.

We'll see...

Products Discussed in

To Top