Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Overhead temperature gauge stuck / incorrect

Old 06-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Overhead temperature gauge stuck / incorrect

So twice now over the last year, the overhead outdoor temperature console has been at the wrong temp almost like it was stuck from the previous drive. Today it was 75 and the gauge read 47 nearly the entire day as I was driving short trips around town. I finally calibrated the compass in a parking lot hoping that would help, and turned the truck & the console itself off repeatedly.

Then all of a sudden, all by itself, it started counting up slowly to arrive ta 63 and stuck for a few minutes. Then it quickly read the right temp at 75.

Anybody seen this? Would this be a problem with the probe or the console? Does it require a longer drive to set up & read corectly? That shouldn't be it because usually it's right on.

I can't find the probe either. I know it's somewhere around the front bumper, but I sure don't see it. Anybody have a pic? Want to see if it's maybe loose or caked with mud or something.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
So twice now over the last year, the overhead outdoor temperature console has been at the wrong temp almost like it was stuck from the previous drive. Today it was 75 and the gauge read 47 nearly the entire day as I was driving short trips around town. I finally calibrated the compass in a parking lot hoping that would help, and turned the truck & the console itself off repeatedly.

Then all of a sudden, all by itself, it started counting up slowly to arrive ta 63 and stuck for a few minutes. Then it quickly read the right temp at 75.

Anybody seen this? Would this be a problem with the probe or the console? Does it require a longer drive to set up & read corectly? That shouldn't be it because usually it's right on.

I can't find the probe either. I know it's somewhere around the front bumper, but I sure don't see it. Anybody have a pic? Want to see if it's maybe loose or caked with mud or something.
I have noticed that mine takes perhaps, ten minutes or so before it displays the correct temp. Drive it into the garage in 50 degree temps, shut it off, come back the following afternoon when it's 80 outside and hotter inside the garage and it still says 50 degrees. It has some sort of time delay on it.

How short are your trips? It seems like yours is taking a long time to react, but some delay is normal for sure.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
The sensor is mounted on the center support behind the grille.

Here is a thread with a picture of the sensor and plug look like but it does not show where it is located.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...sensor-do.html
Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I have noticed that mine takes perhaps, ten minutes or so before it displays the correct temp. Drive it into the garage in 50 degree temps, shut it off, come back the following afternoon when it's 80 outside and hotter inside the garage and it still says 50 degrees. It has some sort of time delay on it.

How short are your trips? It seems like yours is taking a long time to react, but some delay is normal for sure.
What you describe is sort of what was happening. The night before it was 47 when I shut her off. Got up this morning and it was in the 60s but remained at 47. Would guess most of my trips throughout the day were less than 10 minutes though .. was involved in a community litter cleanup, so was driving around and checking on crews ... all short trips. But many short trips over several hours. Guess it must need a solid 10 minutes or more. So maybe it is a time delay. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Just for everyone's info, the temperature "probe" used is a thermistor, whereas the thermometer circuit sends a DC signal and reads a temperature based on the resistance (ohms) on the load, and any variance on the resistance can have a dramatic effect on the temperature reading, so naturally the logic is going to have some sort of delay to keep you from getting completely ridiculous readings all the time.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
Just for everyone's info, the temperature "probe" used is a thermistor, whereas the thermometer circuit sends a DC signal and reads a temperature based on the resistance (ohms) on the load, and any variance on the resistance can have a dramatic effect on the temperature reading, so naturally the logic is going to have some sort of delay to keep you from getting completely ridiculous readings all the time.
Interesting.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
sometimes I feel the need to do this with information.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
sometimes I feel the need to do this with information.
LOL hey man fine by me. Appreciate the knowledge.