1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flashing TPS light???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dbs1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    dbs1

dbs1 [OP] 2015 Dbl cab TRD Pro 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dbl Cab TRD Pro 4x4
    SC w/urd pulley, afe cai, URD LT's, TRD cat back. 375hp. Custom logos, tonneau cover, westin bar with piaa lights, aero force gauges, custom front air dam, Westin step bars.
    06 4wd . I had the truck for 2 weeks with no issues. I changed out the stock base rims and tires it came with for some aftermarket wheels and tires in stock height. After about 50 miles on a road trip the tire pressure light started blinking and even with the dealer attempting to reset it, nada.

I'm told I will need to install some sensors for it to read the tire pressure, but the stock rims had none and I am curious why now it's showing up? Is there no way to just tell the computer to lay off on the blinking light without installing the sensors?

2. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Did you happen to change out the spare tire? Some guys place ALL the sensors in one tire like the spare or a smaller lawn tractor type tire to keep the light off. They do not have to be in the rims, just in a 25-40 PSI environment sending that OK signal.

3. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    dbs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dbl Cab TRD Pro 4x4
    SC w/urd pulley, afe cai, URD LT's, TRD cat back. 375hp. Custom logos, tonneau cover, westin bar with piaa lights, aero force gauges, custom front air dam, Westin step bars.
    I don't believe the spare was touched. Are you saying I could mount just one sensor in the spare and as long as the pressure in it was good that would keep the light off?

4. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    are you sure your stock rims had no TPMS?

5. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    I thought there was a law that said any cars after 2004 had to have tpms sensors. there should be a button on the bottom of your dash that says "set". Put the truck in park, then hold that button for a few seconds, the light should flash and hopefully turn off. If not I would have a tire shop check your tpms sensors, the fact that the light was off for 50 miles makes me think they cracked on, put it back in anyways and then it finally broke. if thats the case make em pay for a new one.

6. Jun 5, 2011 at 2:23 AM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Generally they put ALL of the sensors in one tire, inside just loose, 4 + one for the spare.

7. Jun 5, 2011 at 3:52 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    The law says that NEW vehicles have to have a TPMS system, and that the new car dealer can not do anything that leaves it non-functioning. After-market is not obligated to keep it functioning but tire shops won't do anything that will extinguish the light for you (if they're smart... not all are).

OP: you have a number of options: they sell TPMS bands that will securely mount the sensors inside of each of your wheels, you can band all the sensors in the spare or sealed inside a section of plastic sewer line that's pressurized (called the pipe bomb fix). You need all the sensors pressurized and within range of the vehicle to keep the light out.

Another solution is to put a piece of tape on the light and just check tire pressure like you used to. It's surprisingly easy to take the dash apart and put it on. I taped the lights because two of my sensors corroded in the salt last winter and were damaged; replacements cost $100 each and another $100 to program. Then I read that batteries go bad and can't be replaced... supposedly no sooner than 7 years but some guys have had them go as soon as 5.

Everybody's looking at a $500-600 repair bill to keep the light out. Just tape it.

8. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    dbs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dbl Cab TRD Pro 4x4
    Thx for all the input. The tire shop said there were no sensors in the stock rims. For $250 I guess I can get aftermarket ones, but for now I'll just ignore it.

9. Jun 6, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    That's interesting because TPMS was standard on the tacoma from '06 model year on ('05 was the only 2nd gen year that did not have tpms). I think the tire shop didn't know what they were doing and are just feeding you some BS (especially given the fact that your light is now blinking). And realize that in '06, all 5 tires have a sensor (that includes the spare). So you have 3 options (some of which are noted above):
    1. Ignore the blinking light (you could do the "black tape over light in dash" mod and there's a DIY to disable the TPMS system on an '07 which may work on the '06)
    2. Get sensors for the new wheels and have them programmed (your TPMS ECU will not recognize the new sensors unless programmed to them)
    3. Remove the other 4 sensors from the steel wheels and place them in a pressurized container and keep it in the truck

10. Jun 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Where are your stock rims now?
    The TPMS ECU will read/stay in contact with the sensors if they are stored in your garage and only blink when you get out of range. Around town they will not blink. Mine do the same thing when I swap out my winter wheel set. The stockers have the sensors. Summer rims no sensors & only trigger a light unless I drive out of range. Light resets on its own overnight once I park the truck in the driveway. Sometimes it takes a little longer but I never have to do the reset procedure to make the light stop. Its weird.
    Been like that for 4 seasons on my 2006.

Even if the tire company kept your rims/tires (and probably your sensors) then that is why no light until you got out of range. Now they want $$. Hmmm.

11. Jun 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    You should examine your stock rims and look for the sensors yourself. They're part of the valve stem assembly.

Products Discussed in

To Top