Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Advice needed on a few different things

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Advice needed on a few different things

Ok guys, i am looking for advice on a few different things for my truck
the first two are the original things, i kept looking on the site and cant find them (googled too, just cant find it for some reason). The rest of the questions are stuff that i could find, but figured i would throw in anyways (nice to have everything in one place)

>i have seen some of the guys on here with smooth dash panels for after market head units (instead of the textured ones) where can i find one of these?

>can anyone recommend a paint or something to match the silver interior (around the shifter), i have a couple of scratches/chips in it, and i am looking for a way to get rid of them, if i can do it without having paint globs on it

>i am wanting to get an exhaust system for my truck, only if i can find something that wont drop gas milage (and perhaps help it or add power?)
i dont want something way to loud or anything though, also, i have a CAI by K&N if that makes difference. also, if you post about this, can you shoot me a price for what i will be looking at as well

>can you just go to a dealer to get the bed mat?

also, anything that you recommend, if you have the time, could you post a link to it?
thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I forgot something, i just replaced my rear shocks after hitting a nasty dip in the road (i didnt see it until too late) and i shot one of my shock rods through the bed of the truck (oh, i was on a road trip). it is fixed now with monroe shocks, but what i want to know is if the front suspension should also be replaced like the shocks in the back were (the truck has about 100k on it and no suspension change to it other than the monroes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #3

surely someone can answer some of these questions
Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
>i have seen some of the guys on here with smooth dash panels for after market head units (instead of the textured ones) where can i find one of these?

I this the head unit surroundings your talking about is called the scosche panels? theres some name for the company that makes em.

>can anyone recommend a paint or something to match the silver interior (around the shifter), i have a couple of scratches/chips in it, and i am looking for a way to get rid of them, if i can do it without having paint globs on it

You'll probably be going through a couple hit and miss colours considering that area is plastic not paint, but be sure o use a coat or two of Krylon Clear coat.

>i am wanting to get an exhaust system for my truck, only if i can find something that wont drop gas milage (and perhaps help it or add power?)
i dont want something way to loud or anything though, also, i have a CAI by K&N if that makes difference. also, if you post about this, can you shoot me a price for what i will be looking at as well

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...lowmaster.html

>can you just go to a dealer to get the bed mat?

Yes you can, but aftermarket ones are just as good and cheaper for you.

Thats about the best answers I can give you.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Tarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Deputy Sheriff
Name: Jon
Tarheelz2350's Tacoma Gallery
If you've got the O/R package the Bilsteins on the front may still be good. As long as your not getting an excessively rough ride or a lot of bounce they should still be good for awhile. This is just my experience. Someone with more knowledge than I will probably be along shortly.

As far as exhaust I'm looking at either the TRD or Magnaflow cat backs. They fall in the $400-500 range. Just do a Google search and you'll find some good deals.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #7

thanks guys, the link to the scosche panel was very helpful, exactly what i am looking for. i just couldn't find it for the life of me

i was actually considering the TRD exhaust, but not seriously for anything, now that it has come up, i may go with it

i have brand new shocks in the rear, so i wont be getting bilsteins all around,maybe for the front though, depending if they are needed (i am not hitting much nasty offroad for a while, winch has mainly been used for pulling people out of the snow)

how hard is the exhaust to install myself?
i don't know much about working on my truck (unfortunately, i would love to, but dont have time). i was able to instal my CAI without help though

also, does anyone have any ideas for repairing the hole in my bed (besides duct tape, that is the repair now, though it is holding pretty well)
Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
MAPLENUTS is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVEN
MAPLENUTS's Tacoma Gallery
I had lots of scratches on my bed so decided to Herculiner it. It is tough stuff and looks great. Done properly and prepared properly it is very nice. Possibly some fiberglass glass matting where the hole is and finished over with Herculiner. Herculiner is polyurethane based so between the matting and the finish it will look brand new. Takes some effort but worth it.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Even though it's already a composite bed, it might be worth it to have Line-X sprayed in. It is very durable stuff. A quick patch on the hole with Line-X applied over it would seal it permanently. Line-X dealers are usually pretty good with body work and might even be able to fix it for you for an additional fee.

Because that sounds like an advertisement I need to say that I am not affiliated with Line-X in any way, I've just had good luck with them.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #10

figured yall would appreciate this
here are pics of the broken shock, so you can see the hole as well
sorry for the cell phone pics
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed on a few different things-0421010722.jpg   Advice needed on a few different things-0421010722a.jpg   Advice needed on a few different things-0421010722b.jpg