Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Difference prerunner / non-prerunner

Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
sqdqo is on a distinguished road
sqdqo's Tacoma Gallery
Difference prerunner / non-prerunner

I just want to know the difference between the Tacoma preunner and non-prerunner.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdqo View Post
I just want to know the difference between the Tacoma preunner and non-prerunner.
Go to the dealership and grab one of its brochures. They list them side by side what is standard and optional.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
The prerunner is just like the 4X4 but is only a 4X2.The non prerunner sets lower to the ground and has 15 inch tires and wheels and no finder flares..
Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner is the exact same as a 4x4 (suspension, wheels, and tires.) with the exception of NO front differential (2 wheel drive).
A NON Prerunner truck is commonly referred to as a "5-lug". All 5-lugs are 2 wheel drive.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
The prerunner is just like the 4X4 but is only a 4X2.The non prerunner sets lower to the ground and has 15 inch tires and wheels and no finder flares..
can you add the finder flares to any truck?...
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
I don't know.If I wanted them I would just get a prerunner.I think the prerunner looks much better than the 5 lug truck but looks do not matter to some as long as it gets the job done.My daughter looks at a car as only a transportation pod to get you from here to there.Can't understand that but to each his own.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Simple answer, no.
Many have tried . . . All have failed.
It's a turribull turribull death. (As Charles Barkley would say)
Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
There are non-prerunner 2wd 6 lug Tacomas available.

Edit:

Mea Culpa. Went to the Toyota website and everything that is not a 5 lug or a 4x4 is now called a Prerunner. When I shopped for my '09 you were able to buy a 6 lug 4x2 that wasn't called a Prerunner. Now you can't.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
all i have to say is get the truck that has 6 lugs, not 5. you will beat yourself up if you plan on buying aftermarket suspension parts as the 5 lugs do not have a big of a product availability at the 6 lug do.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
all i have to say is get the truck that has 6 lugs, not 5. you will beat yourself up if you plan on buying aftermarket suspension parts as the 5 lugs do not have a big of a product availability at the 6 lug do.
He said it.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Creeper

Quote:
x3^ the only reason I have a 5-lug is because it was a gift. It's getting traded for a 4x4 2nd gen the moment I have the money.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know.If I wanted them I would just get a prerunner.I think the prerunner looks much better than the 5 lug truck but looks do not matter to some as long as it gets the job done.My daughter looks at a car as only a transportation pod to get you from here to there.Can't understand that but to each his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
Simple answer, no.
Many have tried . . . All have failed.
It's a turribull turribull death. (As Charles Barkley would say)
Can you describe Finder flares?
just fukn with ya...
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
End of thread.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #14
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can you describe Finder flares?
just fukn with ya...
What I think he means is the factory flares that are on most of our trucks.Maybe it is a SR5 thing.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What I think he means is the factory flares that are on most of our trucks.Maybe it is a SR5 thing.
It's tough to add factory flares to 5 lug tacomas. The trucks that have them have punched body panels and the holes are square so they'd be tough to recreate. I'm sure you could find some way to attach factory flares, but to do it the way the factory intended would be more work than it's worth in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #16
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner has : fender flares, 16 in wheels, 12.56 in disc brakes in front, looks like the 4x 4 but ain't.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #17
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kevin
Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
Prerunner is the exact same as a 4x4 (suspension, wheels, and tires.) with the exception of NO front differential (2 wheel drive).
A NON Prerunner truck is commonly referred to as a "5-lug". All 5-lugs are 2 wheel drive.
What exactly is different about the suspension on the PreRunner compared to a 5 lug?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmob View Post
What exactly is different about the suspension on the PreRunner compared to a 5 lug?
The 5 lugs sit roughly 5 inches closer to the ground compared to the 6lug trucks. their suspension is also better suited for offroad, better springs, better shocks. They're just a bit tougher and more heavy duty in general.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC the leaf springs for the rear axle mount underneath the rear axle for th e 5 lug and on top of the rear axle for the 6 lug.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #20
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I think your daughter is a very smart lady in that case. To me all Vehicles are money pits due to the high depreciation factor. On top of that, they carry the hiqhest loss risk (due to crash/theft) of anything most of us own.

I also like to have a nicer looking vehicle BUT I normally can afford just a tad more than the cheapest cars on the market. And I need a reliable small truck with 4 doors, so I also have the Pre-Runner TRD/Sport as opposed to the base.

But a lot of folks would be wiser to heed your daughter's philosophy. Get only exactly what you need and no more because cars are for your basic transportation requirements and money spent above that level should be considered disposable income like hobbies and entertainment. I see so many people, including myself several times, sink endless $$ into dressup wheels, accessories and so forth only to get totaled two months later. And even best case, the whole package is still a $1500 junk-beater within 10 years or so.