Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Saved a Ford Explorer today

Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
5thToy's Tacoma Gallery
Saved a Ford Explorer today

Last thing I needed to see on the way to the explorer.

And the recovery.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
My mom owns an Explorer identical to that one. The traction control 4x4 system in them are a PITA!!! Was it even 4x4?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
5thToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredstud View Post
My mom owns an Explorer identical to that one. The traction control 4x4 system in them are a PITA!!! Was it even 4x4?
Yup it was 4wheel drive, Alaska mud is just a bitch.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Good pics.

Couple of weeks ago, I pulled an Excursion out of the snow (high centered with all 4 wheels spinning). And that's not the first time I came across an Excursion in this situation. Seems Ford SUV driver's tend to overestimate their abilities and not realize they only have about 4 inches of clearance underneath! The guy told me after pulling him out...and I quote, "I know it's a bad day when a Toyota pulls my Ford out of the snow."
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
He may of had it in auto instead of lock. If so its hard to get out once your stuck. I got my moms stuck in sugar sand. Every time I floored it to get out the traction control would kick in and drop rpms down. It sucks!!!
But other then that their good vehicles
Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Exploder*
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
"I know it's a bad day when a Toyota pulls my Ford out of the snow."
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
pulled a Ram out of a ditch in March, was a little worried about break in cuz my yota was two or three weeks old at the time but i hardly felt him and boy was it worth his silent/bleak face i gotta mumbled "thanks man" haha
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Good work, where ya at in Wyoming?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Good pics.

Couple of weeks ago, I pulled an Excursion out of the snow (high centered with all 4 wheels spinning). And that's not the first time I came across an Excursion in this situation. Seems Ford SUV driver's tend to overestimate their abilities and not realize they only have about 4 inches of clearance underneath! The guy told me after pulling him out...and I quote, "I know it's a bad day when a Toyota pulls my Ford out of the snow."
Shame his truck didn't sink back in. Don't get a tow from someone and then disrespect their rig.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
5thToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Good work, where ya at in Wyoming?
Well i need too change my profile, im in Alaska now. Was in Pine Bluffs wyoming up till December.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Shame his truck didn't sink back in. Don't get a tow from someone and then disrespect their rig.
To top it off, the snow was only about 16 inches deep. Was kind of funny coming around the corner and seeing 3 guys and 1 shovel trying to dig it out of the patch of snow. They only made it in like 30 feet before getting stuck!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Awesom pics and story, i bet that bear made it a little difficult to decide to get out of the truck

i pulled a jeep out of a ditch a few months ago, had to hook the winch up to the axle
had him telling me the entire time not to take pics so that i could get a "jeep rescue vehicle" sticker

oh, it wasnt a wrangler though, it was a grand cherokee, so not as bad

(how he was stuck i would have had to pull him out either way)
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
5thToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
Awesom pics and story, i bet that bear made it a little difficult to decide to get out of the truck

i pulled a jeep out of a ditch a few months ago, had to hook the winch up to the axle
had him telling me the entire time not to take pics so that i could get a "jeep rescue vehicle" sticker

oh, it wasnt a wrangler though, it was a grand cherokee, so not as bad

(how he was stuck i would have had to pull him out either way)
Alot of bears in the area so I always carry. 357 for the black bears and S&W 500 for the grizz. If it comes down to shooting the bear or getting the truck unstuck, the truck can sit awhile.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thToy View Post
Well i need too change my profile, im in Alaska now. Was in Pine Bluffs wyoming up till December.
Okay. I'm from the other side of the state but live in Reno, although I'm back here for work this summer.

Cool pictures though. There are a few grizzlies where I like to explore as well. Hoping I won't see any this summer. I do keep the AR with me when I camp.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Tarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Deputy Sheriff
Name: Jon
Tarheelz2350's Tacoma Gallery
Cool pics. I'd love to make a trip up there some time. We've got black bears here in NC but I've never seen one that size. By the way if that AR isn't a .308 or .450 Bushmaster you might want to invest in something with a little more stopping power. Either a 12 ga. with slugs or a Marlin guide gun. Make sure you have a large caliber because it's going to take a lot to stop a charging Grizzly or Black bear. They've got pretty hard heads and chest shots aren't a guaranteed stopper. Always bring more gun than you need. Just my .02.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #18
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like the problem with the Explorer was not the traction control, it was the tires in had on. If you don't have a tire with big cleats that effectively clear mud you are going to get stuck in any vehicle when the tires fill up and start slipping. The size of the tires also are a factor because a bigger tire has much more flotation.

While that is Alaskan mud in the pictures we have the same problem in the swamps of Florida. When I was farming I routinely ran 31.50s Wild Countrys with a mud cleat. They were very noisy on the road but it took me anywhere I tried to go including muddy ditches and creeks.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelz2350 View Post
Cool pics. I'd love to make a trip up there some time. We've got black bears here in NC but I've never seen one that size. By the way if that AR isn't a .308 or .450 Bushmaster you might want to invest in something with a little more stopping power. Either a 12 ga. with slugs or a Marlin guide gun. Make sure you have a large caliber because it's going to take a lot to stop a charging Grizzly or Black bear. They've got pretty hard heads and chest shots aren't a guaranteed stopper. Always bring more gun than you need. Just my .02.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CrUARlmqso
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #20
Tarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Deputy Sheriff
Name: Jon
Tarheelz2350's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot about that one. It should be able to do the job.