Auto headlights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Beach Prerunner
TheOne is on a distinguished road

TheOne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Has anyone thought about (or actually done it) installing some sort of light sensor that would automatically turn your headlights on and off based on amount of light outside? I had this on my Yukon and loved it - to the point where I would forget to turn on my lights when I got my Tacoma. So, now I just leave them on all the time...

same here I just leave the headlights and foglights on all the time, do wish there was some sort of sensor the only activate during low light situations.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
camsbored has a spectacular aura aboutcamsbored has a spectacular aura aboutcamsbored has a spectacular aura about

camsbored's Tacoma Gallery
The light sensor part would be pretty easy to accomplish... it's a simple circuit. The tricky part is the logic that avoids all of the gotchas. For example:

If you drive under a bridge for a few sec, you don't want them to turn on.
If you start the truck in the dark they should come on immediately.
If you drive through a construction zone with really bright lights you don't want them to turn off.
If it's dusk you want them to come on at some point and stay on, not flicker as you drive through shadows.

These are all solvable situations, but requires more than a light sensor to accomplish. It could be done with a simple $10 microprocessor if someone had the time to write and test the code.

However... I found this on a Lexus forum... it might work... and under $40 too!
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Elect.../dp/B000CJ24YY
Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I used to leave mine on too, but it hurts your gas mileage. I save at least 1 MPG by keeping them off.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I used to leave mine on too, but it hurts your gas mileage. I save at least 1 MPG by keeping them off.

How does it hurt your gas mileage?

Maybe you could take one off a newer Camry... perhaps one that was wrecked... then just install it on the Tacoma. Or maybe even just buy one from a dealer. Not sure how much that would cost - but worth a shot.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone here already knows that the AC will hurt it, but all the major electrical loads also hurt the mileage.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea - but why? Because of the electrical draw on the Alternator that causes the engine to work harder to replace the energy? Maybe I just answered my own question.... Hey, I'm sick at the moment - so my head isn't all that clear.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
Yea - but why? Because of the electrical draw on the Alternator that causes the engine to work harder to replace the energy? Maybe I just answered my own question.... Hey, I'm sick at the moment - so my head isn't all that clear.
I agree on all counts
Old 10-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
"Mark It Zero"

Cool - thanks... so back on topic... Anyone out there try to take an autolight function from a newer Camry and put it in a Taco... They are pretty close with regard to interior...
Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
i use hid lights so i guess im increasing 1mpg since im drawing less power haha

Products Discussed in this Thread