Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Write Up: Working Airbags and Occupant Detection System with Aftermarket Seats

Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Write Up: Working Airbags and Occupant Detection System with Aftermarket Seats

How To get the Airbag system working w/ aftermarket seats.
Step One: Flip bench over to reveal airbag wires. The wires are all in a loop, it’s just a matter of removing clips and zip-ties. You must disconnect the plug for the occupant detection system on the passenger side. Label EVERYTHING!

Step Two: Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove the passenger occupant detection computer.

Step Three: Remove the occupant detection thing. It’s a thin plastic air bladder that sits in between the cushion, a hard plastic layer, insulation and the metal support springs for the seats. Reach in between the plastic hard plastic layer and the air bladder and feel towards the front of the seat. There should be two plastic clips holding the air bladder. Reach for them and rip dat faka out. It is possible to take it out without ripping the small top portion off, but not nessecary as it has nothing to do with the actual occupant detection system; it’s just there to hold it in place.
Picture of the occupant detection system. The two connection points to the seat are circled in green

Undoctored photograph

Step Four: Re connect all harnesses to their appropriate locations, seatbelts, to the truck, occupant sensor and its computer. There are also two grounds that need to be grounded.

Step Five: Hide underneath carpet, or do whatever you want with the gaggle of wires you now have. Find a place to mount the occupant detection system. I chose to put it on top of the passenger seat as they will be covered in the future.
Step Six: Enjoy your working airbags and passenger occupant detection systems!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
great write up
Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
weazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant futureweazleburger has a brilliant future

weazleburger's Tacoma Gallery
man that is awesome! great step by step write up!

now to find some seats
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
This space intentionally left blank.
Boring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Discharged honorably many years ago.
Boring's Tacoma Gallery
So, this probably applies to 05-08 regular cabs without bucket seats...

Thanks for the writeup Kelson.

I did not know there was a butt computer too. Gah! Thanks Toyota. No freaking wonder the buckets cost $2,000+ each. I was flirting with the idea of trying to transfer buckets into mine too. Now I'm less sure than I was before. I'm really tempted to just sell it and get the extended cab with the buckets already installed. The bench makes me fidget like a 2 year old on drugs.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up bro!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
the bladder for the passenger occupant system is not full of air either. its full of a fluid like jelly crap. i found out the hard way when i pulled the hose off the connector on the bottom of the bladder. it leaked oily jelly all over and now the bladder is useless. just info if anyone is doing this. DO NOT disconnect the tube!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16TACO View Post
the bladder for the passenger occupant system is not full of air either. its full of a fluid like jelly crap. i found out the hard way when i pulled the hose off the connector on the bottom of the bladder. it leaked oily jelly all over and now the bladder is useless. just info if anyone is doing this. DO NOT disconnect the tube!!!
I did the same thing bro, I'm trying to locate an OEM passenger airbag on/off switch/plastic so I can bypass the stupid passenger seat bladder. The bladder is filled with an oil, when you sit on it, it puts back pressure on the switch which activates the passenger airbag. I'm going to splice those wires and use the OEM passenger airbag on/off switch instead!!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
I did the same thing bro, I'm trying to locate an OEM passenger airbag on/off switch/plastic so I can bypass the stupid passenger seat bladder. The bladder is filled with an oil, when you sit on it, it puts back pressure on the switch which activates the passenger airbag. I'm going to splice those wires and use the OEM passenger airbag on/off switch instead!!
yeah i saw that on your bucket seat swap thread. i think im gonna look into the switch for that stupid bladder and see if i can rig it to just keep the airbag on all the time.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the earlier 2nd gen tacoma's came factory with the keyed passenger airbag on /off switch which was replaced with the bladder. I already installed the resistors to bypass the side curtain airbags and transplanted the computer occupant detection system wires/ seat buckles/ sensors. the only thing I need is that switch . I destroyed the bladder trying to remove it, oil all over the floor, LOL.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #11

F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I am gonna run back to the junk yard tomorrow and see if i can get that switch off the 05 i got the seats from. ill see what i can do with that also.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16TACO View Post
I am gonna run back to the junk yard tomorrow and see if i can get that switch off the 05 i got the seats from. ill see what i can do with that also.
Sounds good man, keep me posted and vice versa! We'll get this sorted out seeing as we both have the same dilemma.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #13
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
bypass the stupid passenger seat bladder.
  • The dualĖstage SRS airbag system has been used for the driver and front passenger airbags. This system controls the optimal airbag inflation by judging the extent of impact, seat position (driver seat), whether or not the seat belt is fastened (driver seat) and information from the front passenger occupant classification system.

• The front passenger occupant classification system judges whether the front passenger seat is occupied by an adult or child (with child seat) or is unoccupied, according to the load applied to the front passenger seat and whether the seat belt is buckled. Based on the results, it restricts the deployment of the front passenger airbag, front passenger side airbag, and front passenger seat belt pretensioner. In addition, the system informs the driver of the result of the judgment through the use of the AIRBAG ON/OFF indicator lights.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #14

^ Pretty much says everything we already know, Can't expect Toyota to write a DIY on how to bypass airbag hardware, LOL
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
How To get the Airbag system working w/ aftermarket seats.
Step One: Flip bench over to reveal airbag wires. The wires are all in a loop, itís just a matter of removing clips and zip-ties. You must disconnect the plug for the occupant detection system on the passenger side. Label EVERYTHING!

Step Two: Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove the passenger occupant detection computer.

Step Three: Remove the occupant detection thing. Itís a thin plastic air bladder that sits in between the cushion, a hard plastic layer, insulation and the metal support springs for the seats. Reach in between the plastic hard plastic layer and the air bladder and feel towards the front of the seat. There should be two plastic clips holding the air bladder. Reach for them and rip dat faka out. It is possible to take it out without ripping the small top portion off, but not nessecary as it has nothing to do with the actual occupant detection system; itís just there to hold it in place.
Picture of the occupant detection system. The two connection points to the seat are circled in green

Undoctored photograph

Step Four: Re connect all harnesses to their appropriate locations, seatbelts, to the truck, occupant sensor and its computer. There are also two grounds that need to be grounded.

Step Five: Hide underneath carpet, or do whatever you want with the gaggle of wires you now have. Find a place to mount the occupant detection system. I chose to put it on top of the passenger seat as they will be covered in the future.
Step Six: Enjoy your working airbags and passenger occupant detection systems!

you never show re-installing the bladder in the new seats.where did you place them?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
Evenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
Evenflow's Tacoma Gallery
Saving