1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas mileage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trucknrv, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 4:20 AM
    trucknrv

trucknrv [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD sport
    Snowsport plow with front receiver hitch, Access lorado tonneau cover, AVC ventshades, Covercraft seat covers, Husky floor mats, K-N filter, Hydraulic lift arms for hood, Factory black running boards, Direct cable from battery for jumper cables, Oil plug valve, Front anytime camera, Baja design fog lights, Bed mat, Borla exhaust with black tip, TRD skid plate along with stainless cat plate, 6 new speakers, Puddle lights, Floorwell lighting, Aftermarket heated seats, Interior LED lights, Swing tool box for the bed, Redarc brake controller, Blackout kit, Ceramic coated, Timbren load boosters, LED bed lights, Zprecision bigger cup holder, Drivers grab handle, License plates negated when in reverse, Sequential smoke mirror lights, Bumper step, 3rd brake light smoked out, Factory painted door edge guards, Door sill protectors, Mesa stick shift with additional buttons for the ECT, Extra 110V plug for the back seat and anytime 400 W plug for the bed, OTT tune, Protech for radio and dash film, Bigger radio knobs, LED hood light, Added LED strip backup light under the tailgate, AlphaRex tail lights. I am sure there is more but wife is starting to give me the side eye to add more! Like I heard they are not mods but it's a BUILD!
    Just took a road trip with my 2008 tacoma sport dbl cab 4wd with the 4.0L engine. I was pulling a motorcycle trailer witha small v-nose. The weight was approx 3000- 3500 lbs. I towed in 4 (didn't use OD) and kept my speed at approx 60 -63 mph. I later checked my mpg and got 12 mpg on the tank. Does this sound correct considering all the info? I would have thought I would have got closer to 14-15 mpg towing this load? I do know that is a lot of headwall of a trailer of this size. The trailer is a single axle 7x10 with a small v-nose. Thank you in advance! :confused:

2. Jun 7, 2011 at 4:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You added like 3/4 the weight of the vehicle in trailer and bike...I don't think 12 is too unreasonable. Wind and hills play a factor too....

3. Jun 7, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Nissan Frontier Pro4X
    What do you normally get for mileage empty?

4. Jun 7, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I get about the same with my 2.7 5 speed pulling a 6x10 enclosed flat nose. I would have thought that the 4.0 would of gotten better than that too.

5. Jun 7, 2011 at 5:15 AM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    All small engines take a bit of a MPG hit when towing,even small V8s in half tons.12 to 13 would be about right.Leaving it out of overdrive probabaly helped you.Last year with my 4.0 I towed a large Uhaul trailer heavy loaded from WV to SC {1600 ft elevation to 700 ft elevation}pushing a light head wind and got 13 MPG keeping it out of overdrive.On the return trip with trailer unloaded with slight wind behind me but that big square front of the trailer catching a head wind running in overdrive I got 12 MPG.I get in low to mid 20s MPG running empty if I keep it under 70 MPH.

6. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    trucknrv

trucknrv [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD sport
    Snowsport plow with front receiver hitch, Access lorado tonneau cover, AVC ventshades, Covercraft seat covers, Husky floor mats, K-N filter, Hydraulic lift arms for hood, Factory black running boards, Direct cable from battery for jumper cables, Oil plug valve, Front anytime camera, Baja design fog lights, Bed mat, Borla exhaust with black tip, TRD skid plate along with stainless cat plate, 6 new speakers, Puddle lights, Floorwell lighting, Aftermarket heated seats, Interior LED lights, Swing tool box for the bed, Redarc brake controller, Blackout kit, Ceramic coated, Timbren load boosters, LED bed lights, Zprecision bigger cup holder, Drivers grab handle, License plates negated when in reverse, Sequential smoke mirror lights, Bumper step, 3rd brake light smoked out, Factory painted door edge guards, Door sill protectors, Mesa stick shift with additional buttons for the ECT, Extra 110V plug for the back seat and anytime 400 W plug for the bed, OTT tune, Protech for radio and dash film, Bigger radio knobs, LED hood light, Added LED strip backup light under the tailgate, AlphaRex tail lights. I am sure there is more but wife is starting to give me the side eye to add more! Like I heard they are not mods but it's a BUILD!
    What do you normally get for mileage empty?
    RichB.....I would normally get low 20's on the highway!

Products Discussed in

To Top