1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycle Tie down Bar

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by merwin61, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    merwin61

merwin61 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Elm NJ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    Anyone remember seeing "dirtfondler's" home made motorcycle tie down bar? I sent him a letter recently about having one made if he is in the market to make another but if he is not, does anyone know of something like it that I could trust to tie my motorcycle down in the front of the bed. The plastic tie downs with thin threaded bolts are not something I would trust that much weight to plus the pressure of the suspension of the motorcycle. Any info. appreciated! Thanks.

2. Jun 7, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    cozmo

cozmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    out west
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg cab 4x4
  3. Jun 7, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not just add extra D-Rings to the front of the bed?

4. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    merwin61

merwin61 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Elm NJ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I was hoping for something up higher from the bottom of the bed, if I pack anything around the front tires the bed "d" rings will be in the way. Also, we have ALOT of trees in our area and the bed gets filled often. Hunting for the rings in wet leaves early in a cold morning is a pain. I wish that Toyota had put the mount brackets in like they did on all of my other Toyota trucks, but things change. SO I did find the JP Metal Fabrication product after I wrote the request for information and their product will just probably do the trick. Thanks for the answer.

5. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mount D-rings on the side of the bed wherever you want. Just use a backing plate.

6. Jun 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    You know your situation best, but why are you even trying to load a motorcycle in a bed full of leaves? When carrying something as fragile and precious as a motorcycle, I don't understand why you would try to take the easy route.

But hey if the mounting plate works, good for ya! Happy riding, be safe out there.

7. Jun 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    merwin61

merwin61 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Elm NJ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    yeah - maybe I should have been clearer on the point of leaves in the bed of the truck and such....what has happened in the past is that wind will blow leaves into a pile just in front of the wheel well on both sides (of my old truck) and if it rained before then everything in that corner would freeze solid over night. If the D rings were down in that mess I would end up chipping out the ice and such to get to the D rings. In the old truck the bed tie down points were about half way up and I had small extension chains that came out I could leave in place that did not go all the way down to the bed. I could then just hook my ratchet straps into the chains and tie down the bike.

8. Jun 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I made my own version of those that whippersnapper bought. It is very simple to do, just have to have a welder.

9. Jun 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    You are moving your bike somewhere when its cold enough to be icy out???? Or are you moving a snowmobile etc.?

10. Jun 9, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    merwin61

merwin61 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Elm NJ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    We sometimes do Polar Bear rides up near Reading PA. it sometimes is cold enough to freeze the night before but just warm enough to ride 50 or so miles the next day with a few stops along the way. Also, just for general hauling of anything heavy enough to use a 4 point tie down I would want the front tie down points available on short notice, not having to daily clear the bed of ice and leaves "in case" I have to move something. Had Toyota just gone ahead and made sturdy front tie down points like they had before this whole conversation would be mute. Since they did not allow for substantial tie down points....here we are discussing how to fix something they had solved many models ago.

Products Discussed in

To Top