LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Wheel On" Bike rack for short bed 2nd Gen.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
danahawk is on a distinguished road
Name: Dana
danahawk's Tacoma Gallery
"Wheel On" Bike rack for short bed 2nd Gen.

I am looking for someone who has built or sold "wheel on" bike racks for 2nd gen. Tacomas with a short bed. I have a bike with a thru-axle design so all skewer type racks are ano go for me. I would be interested in a 2 to 4 bike rack that will keep the bikes in with the tail gate down. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
berry79 is on a distinguished road

berry79's Tacoma Gallery
I made something similar to this for under $30. Keeps the bikes standing and i just bungie them to cleats in the front of the side rails. I used some carrige bolts were the heads would slip into the front rail and through bolt the PVC with wing nuts. It's easily removed when not in use.
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/go...edBikeRack.htm
Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
When I was at whistler, a lot of the DH guys were rocking the Dakine pads and then just threw the forks over the tailgate.

http://www.dakine.com/bike/accessories/pick-up-pads/

or

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ke-mounts.html post #6?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...bike-rack.html ?!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a used rack off craigslist. Hollywood Racks brand that mounts to the receiver hitch. Carries up to 4 bikes. It can fold up when not in use or down to access the back of the vehicle. However when you fold it down on the tacoma and open the tailgate, the tailgate still hits part of the rack. I've been thinking about getting an extender for the receiver hitch so this doesn't happen.

Here's a link to the newer version they make.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry79 View Post
I made something similar to this for under $30. Keeps the bikes standing and i just bungie them to cleats in the front of the side rails. I used some carrige bolts were the heads would slip into the front rail and through bolt the PVC with wing nuts. It's easily removed when not in use.
www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/TruckbedBikeRack.htm
Do you have issues with the pvc flexing and possibly breaking? I want to be able to leave my tailgate down.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

berry79's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danahawk View Post
Do you have issues with the pvc flexing and possibly breaking? I want to be able to leave my tailgate down.
No issues. I built a 2 bike version and used the thicker of the two PVC dia. I don't remember what sch it was. When you have a bike in it and bungied down it's pretty stiff and doesn't really flex.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Token Gas Passer
SCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to behold

Name: Shawn
SCHMEGGA's Tacoma Gallery
I use this and am in love with it. Full bed access and availability at the same time. And super fast and simple to get going.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMEGGA View Post
I use this and am in love with it. Full bed access and availability at the same time. And super fast and simple to get going.

Awesome... definitely what I would get if/when I get a shell. Where did you get it?

Also... what tires are you running on the mtb. I have a feeling we ride on the same type of terrain... and Im looking for better tires for my bike.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Quote:

That is nice! I think I might be looking more in the multiple bike catagory...How much did you pay for that set up? Maker? By the way...nice bike too. I am running a Specialized Enduro Pro Carbon, so your pics are a good example of a close match for my bike.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I wouldn't mind knowing the maker of that rack....that's a great feature with how well it folds up.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry79 View Post
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/go...edBikeRack.htm
That's a cool simple cheap design.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I like that for a hitch mount but looks like it covers the license plate? That wouldn't fly around here. I guess the rack comes off when not in use?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
Token Gas Passer
SCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to beholdSCHMEGGA is a splendid one to behold

Alright some answers. First off the rack is made by 1Up USA and can only be ordered thru their website. It is the only rack to receive the coveted MTBR editors choice award. It is CNC machined aluminum (I opted for the optional black powder coating). it ways a total of 30 pounds and feels like it is a continuation of the truck frame. I am serious, it feels like a rock!!! It uses a proprietary Allen wrench lock to lock it into the hitch. Will fit both a 1 1/4" or 2" hitch straight out of the box. Literally takes 10 minutes to pull out of the box and have it attached and your bike on it ready to go.
Now the downside: It is also priced like the Porsche of all racks. The standard unpowder coated version is $299. It was an extra $50 for the powder coat. Secondly, that is for a 1 bike setup. To add a second bike it is another $199 ($250 for PC). You can also add a 3rd for the same $199 ($250). But the additions are just as simple. Remove 2 proprietary locking bolts, stick it on and bolt it back down. Done.
The lowdown: This is the best rack I have ever seen. I would drop the $350 again in a heartbeat! This thing will be on my truck until it dies and then will be put on my next 3 trucks! It is built like a tank. But still light enough and it folds up compact enough to throw in the trunk of any car, even my S2000. It folds down, with the bike attached, to accommodate being able to put the tailgate all the way down. As seen in my pics. It pays for itself not only in durability but in ease. Takes roughly 30-60 secs for me to have my bike on it and rolling out of the driveway.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
Token Gas Passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierzwanzig View Post
Awesome... definitely what I would get if/when I get a shell. Where did you get it?

Also... what tires are you running on the mtb. I have a feeling we ride on the same type of terrain... and Im looking for better tires for my bike.
Sorry almost forgot. The Pitch is all-mountain. The trails I ride are mostly rocky and hilly with some softer flat track. It is a great track. Called Buck Creek Trails. In Abilene, TX. As for the tires, they are the stock Pitch setup, which are Specialized Eskar Control, 60 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual compound, 26x2.3". They are superb. I really love the bike.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Token Gas Passer

Hehehe, one more thing. I also Kayak a bit and with the bike rack on the hitch I can mount my Kayak on my bedrail crossbars (should get em tomorrow I hope. Thanks Kevin for ATO) and STILL have all of my bed to use for all my other gear. Gonna be a sweet setup I think. I will get pics with the Kayak early next week and add them to my build page. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hope this helps everyone.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Quote:
Hehehe, one more thing. I also Kayak a bit and with the bike rack on the hitch I can mount my Kayak on my bedrail crossbars (should get em tomorrow I hope. Thanks Kevin for ATO) and STILL have all of my bed to use for all my other gear. Gonna be a sweet setup I think. I will get pics with the Kayak early next week and add them to my build page. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hope this helps everyone.
Haha its all good. Fishing kayak? Thats what I am running.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Token Gas Passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danahawk View Post
Haha its all good. Fishing kayak? Thats what I am running.
Nah, just for sporting. For working out mainly. It's an Emotion Comet. Was named best kayak by Outdoor Magazine's yearend "Best of" edition a couple years back. That's what prompted me to buy it. I really do love it.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...bike-rack.html ?![/QUOTE]

this is my rack that i built, its a great set up. i since have made it a little narrower so it fits between the wheels wells and up against the cab end of the bed. i now have a tool box too, so the tailgate stays down. the rack is straped down to some d-rings in the front corners of the bed i added and i just throw a bungee on the bike down to a cleat im good to go.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #19

berry79's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
berry79 thanks to your link. built one myself yesterday. took only an hour max. under 30$ too. very stable. just too wide so i just improvised and placed them backwards. ran out of black paint LOL

Looks good. I positioned mine like you did and you can't even tell it's there unless you look in the bed. I built mine for only 2 bikes so mine fits in the front but, I might cut it and add a spot for a 3rd and position like yours. Glad I could help.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
scoprire is on a distinguished road
scoprire's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished this little different version of the PVC rack a few days ago. Load bar is from harbor freight for about $15. PVC for 2 bikes is about $25.