Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Moog LCA ball joint, tie rod, and wheel bearing replacement part #'s and general BS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Moog LCA ball joint, tie rod, and wheel bearing replacement part #'s and general BS

I haven't seen any condensed info on any of the sites and since these are typical wear items on a 4x4 05+ Tacoma I figured I would throw out some part numbers and pictures for all to see/use when they have the same issues.

I have never used Moog before, so I contacted some guys I know before investing in their parts. No one had anything bad to say so I choose Moog for all of my parts. I purchased everything from Rock Auto Sunday night and it was all delivered today (Tuesday).

Moog's designs seem solid and they have serviceable tie rods and ball joints that should last much longer then OE as long as they are taken care of.

Please note there are 1,000 ways to skin a cat and many other parts from different manufacturers that can be used. This thread is just a summary of what I used.

Tie rod
Part #: ES80895
$24.79

LCA ball joint
Part #: K80827
$36.79

DIY LCA Ball Joint Replacement 2005+ Tacoma link

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post3564451

Front wheel bearing + hub
Part #: 515040
$77.89
(hub isn't required)

Wheel bearing replacement link:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...93&postcount=1

Note: a 35mm socket or a 36mm socket can be used, but it is not 100% correct.
For the exact recommended socket see here http://toyota.spx.com/hwtordr.aspx

The part # is: SST 09318-12010
http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=545&p=281&g=0

See below for a PDF Toyota Tech bulletin on replacement.
**Do NOT follow the torque specks on the PDF labeled "Front Hub (4wd & Pre-Runner)" - this PDF was supplied for removal of parts ONLY.
**For proper torque specks follow the PDF named "Front Axle Hub (4wd & Pre-Runner) Installation. It is the bottom PDF and should be used for installation.

For the people who need gaskets (should be everyone unless you want to replace your wheel bearings again in 3,000 miles)

Wheel seals:

NATIONAL Part # 710477 Oil Seal (Nitrile Seal)
Shaft Size=3.189", Housing Bore=3.801, Outer Diameter=3.809, Width=0.63in
Front Wheel; 4WD; Outer
Rock Auto $8.64

NATIONAL Part # 710573 Oil Seal (Nitrile Seal)
Shaft Size=2.856", Housing Bore=3.525, Outer Diameter=3.537, Width=0.252in
Front Wheel; 4WD; Inner
Rock Auto $9.53

OE O ring Part # 9030192003
Village Toyota $3.94

Rock Auto always has 5% off discount codes so search the web for their current one before ordering. I saved $13.95 in 2 minutes.

Here are some new ball joints you might also want to consider

RAYBESTOS:
BALL JOINTS
• One-piece forged for strength
• Two-piece cylindrical wedge provides Industry's finest fatigue/wear resistance
• No spring, no endplay
• Cold formed, heat-treated stud for superior strength ad durability
• Full Ball design delivers ample wear surface
• Fused urethane boot prevents joint disintegration
• One premium pieces, no galvanic corrosion thanks to coated stud and hardware

2005+ 4.0 4x4 or Prerunner

Upper ball joint PT# 500-1150 Master Installer price is $32.90
Lower ball joint PT# 505-1427 Master Installer price is $32.90

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Hub (4wd & Pre-Runner).pdf (231.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Front Axle Hub (4wd & Pre-Runner Installation).pdf (142.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Moog is some good stuff!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Moog is some good stuff!

Time will tell ultimately, but I'm impressed by their design and overall quality right out of the box.

No missing parts...check

No rust...check

No defective/ripped/weathered/dry rotted boots...check

No forging or mold issues...check

Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Yeah Moog makes great parts. Just remember that you have more greasing to do. For bearings I would stick with Timken.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yeah Moog makes great parts. Just remember that you have more greasing to do. For bearings I would stick with Timken.

That's the whole point of getting them...the added greasing. Ill remember.

If cash was no object I would of gone with SKF over all other brands. They have the best bearing seals and bearings from what I researched IMO.

If I can get 63k out of OE wheel bearings I think Ill be just fine with Moog.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Thanks! About to order me bearings and hub assemblys. I've narrowed down my problem to wheel bearings or diff bearings. Hopefully it's the wheel bearing.
Was that your noise you were trying to find ?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
misc's Tacoma Gallery
For the people just ordering bearings or need seals

Wheel seals:

NATIONAL Part # 710477 Oil Seal (Nitrile Seal)
Shaft Size=3.189", Housing Bore=3.801, Outer Diameter=3.809, Width=0.63in
Front Wheel; 4WD; Outer
Rock Auto $8.64

NATIONAL Part # 710573 Oil Seal (Nitrile Seal)
Shaft Size=2.856", Housing Bore=3.525, Outer Diameter=3.537, Width=0.252in
Front Wheel; 4WD; Inner
Rock Auto $9.53

OE O ring Part # 9030192003
Village Toyota $3.94
Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have bearing noise already? I hope my truck doensn't need them that soon.

For the past 5-6k. Ive pushed them far and I expect to see some carnage. I got the hubs just in case. You have to remember my truck see's salt 3-4 months out of the year and my local trails are always wet and full of sand and mud. Pretty much bearing hell. I also drive like an a-hole compounding my issues. I have 63k on the truck.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
misc's Tacoma Gallery
My truck sounds like this baby in action

Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post

What are you laughing at?

Now that we got you taking your truck into the woods your NEXT

I hear Wharton calling you

*Craig*

*Craig*

*Come play in my sand and mud water*
Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
misc's Tacoma Gallery
We need a Wharton hit list

Me: Starter, uniballs, every bearing

Joe: wheel bearings, belt tension-er

Scott: just about every moving part

Josh: 4x4 actuator and who knows what next

John: manual transmission

and I know someone blew out all their pullies, just can't remember who

Yea....lets play in the mud
Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it's any consolation, I've got this weird hum when I go over 60mph now...

started after BC...
Carrier bearing is my guess.

Next time I see you Ill take a look.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #16
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
dam my truck is quiet quiet quiet now....and im loving it....
first time in years
well that is except rear leafs squeaking at times
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
anyone know where i can get just the hub
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it's any consolation, I've got this weird hum when I go over 60mph now...

started after BC...
Me too. Interesting that it started after Wharton.....
Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #19
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Front wheel bearing + hub
Part #: 515040
$77.89
(hub isn't required)

Pressing still required for install or is this finally a full assembly? Looks not all together in the pic to me...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Timken is crap... as the rest of them...
My LC Koyo's lasted 180K and Koyo's for 2gen truck are expensive but worth every dollar.
Toyota installs Koyo on LC's but the rest of the budget cars get some other shady bearings.

Products Discussed in this Thread