Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Moab, UT and Ouray, CO at the end of the month!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Matt
11BSSG's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Moab, UT and Ouray, CO at the end of the month!

FINALLY, I'll be going an a decent trip with the taco at the end of the month. I'll be driving to Dallas to link up with my brother then heading to Moab, spend a few days and then going to Ouray, Co. I have been on long wheeling trips in the past, but not in the Tacoma. I plan on doing as many trails as I can, but not pushing my skills or truck any further than needed. (Due to this being my daily driver, lack of armor, etc.) I have extra fuel, tire repair kits, tools, water, all the basic stuff I would use while backpacking, and working on an air compressor. Just put a CB in for back up commo, gps, etc. Anyone have any advice or recommendations on items needed that I may have forgotten? OR, will anyone BE in the those areas at the end of the month that would want to meet up and whell a trail or two!? Ill be sure to take pics and do a write up. I'm stoked about the idea of amost 4,000 miles, terrain changes, and some offroading thats not the mud we get here in Alabama.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest this book when you get there. You can find it just about every gas station/store in Moab. Otherwise it sounds like you have everything under control.

What type of wheeling are you looking to do?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
while you're in ouray, if not already planned, i suggest black bear pass and imogene pass, you can even head back to telluride side after imogene by taking ophir pass back over

black bear pass

recent moab trip
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
don't forget plenty of water...get some 5 gallon jugs
Old 06-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

11BSSG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I would suggest this book when you get there. You can find it just about every gas station/store in Moab. Otherwise it sounds like you have everything under control.

Thanks, I'll pick up the book. Looking to do some moderate trails, something where I wont run into a minivan full of people. Ive been told to check out "Top of the World" trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
while you're in ouray, if not already planned, i suggest black bear pass and imogene pass, you can even head back to telluride side after imogene by taking ophir pass back over

black bear pass

recent moab trip
Thanks, I'll check them out!

Quote:
don't forget plenty of water...get some 5 gallon jugs
I have two 5 gallon jugs, one for drinking h2o and one for general purpose. Plus I always have my personal water (at least 5 liters) that I keep in the truck. Good heads up.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Hey I have an extra copy of this book you can have if you want! I was actually meaning to post it up on TW in case anyone was interested. It is the 1st edition. Bought it used on amazon and then bought the second edition afterwards. Its not the newest but its free if you are interested... PM if you are.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
7 Mile Rim is a must. La Sal Pass should be good. Hidden Canyon Overlook is nice.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
FYI though, many of the pass trials like Black Bear and Imogene aren't open that early in the year. It all depends on the snow melt.
very good point!

keep an eye on bushducks website

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

they have some good up-to-date trail openings/closings
Old 06-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
We did black bear, alpine loop, immogene, etc... last year and had a great time! Like others suggested get the guidebook and check the trail status before you head to the trail.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard there's some decent off roading in that area.
J/K -sounds like a dream trip to me!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #13

Marines:
www.traildamage.com also has good trail info and pics
Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #14

11BSSG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
7 Mile Rim is a must. La Sal Pass should be good. Hidden Canyon Overlook is nice.
Ill try to check them out!

Quote:
I live in the area and do SW Colorado all the time. Have done a bit of Moab also but most of my time there is usually spent on a mountain bike. Let me know what dates you're thinking.
Ill probably be in Moab around the 21st, we dont plan the trips to a "T", just wing it once we get out there for weather conditions, etc. Ill PM you when I have a solid date if I can!

Quote:
FYI though, many of the pass trials like Black Bear and Imogene aren't open that early in the year. It all depends on the snow melt.
I saw where there has been record snow fall this year, hopefully they will be open, if not, I'm sure we can find something to do!

Quote:
very good point!

keep an eye on bushducks website

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

they have some good up-to-date trail openings/closings
Checking it out as I type this, thanks for the good site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
We did black bear, alpine loop, immogene, etc... last year and had a great time! Like others suggested get the guidebook and check the trail status before you head to the trail.
Working on getting the guide book, sounds like a must have. Thanks.

Quote:
www.traildamage.com also has good trail info and pics
Also have this one pulled up in anther window.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, its nice to be able to jump on TW and get some friendly advice and heads up from yall.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BSSG View Post
Ill probably be in Moab around the 21st, we dont plan the trips to a "T", just wing it once we get out there for weather conditions, etc. Ill PM you when I have a solid date if I can!

I saw where there has been record snow fall this year, hopefully they will be open, if not, I'm sure we can find something to do!
I may be out of town then but let me know anyway. I still know the area well and might be able to help you out with some tips.

The weather has been very warm and the river by my house has been running hard for several weeks. It's fed by the very mountains we speak of. No promises, but it looks like you may have a chance of some open trails.