Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Upper control arm Q's

Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Upper control arm Q's

Please forgive my ignorance; my prior lift experience is with solid axles.

I understand why LCAs are necessary for lifts over 3" or so to avoid handling problems.
Conversely, would handling problems also arise if UCAs are installed on a lift of 2" or less?
I see they are adjustable... is that for the amount of lift, or alignments (or effectively both at once)?

Thanks for any help. All I could find searching was info about using them on larger lifts, but if you want to flame my search skills anyway, I have thick skin so bring it on!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
If you don't install aftermarket UCAs with above a 2.5" suspension lift or greater, you will most likely have very low caster and be maxed out on the factory caster/camber adjustment cams.
Yes, I know that.
I'm wondering the opposite... will you be too far in the opposite direction and have problems if you put the UCAs on a lift that is 2" or less?
Or is it totally pointless to do so?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
No, the caster/camber adjustments on the LCA with be well within the factory alignment specs. It would be pointless, unless you had extra $$ to spend or just wanted a UCA that is stronger than the stock one.
Thanks PSU.
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to lift, but if I do it will only be 2".
I don't want to change the handling of the truck, but it sounds like I can cross the UCAs off the shopping list.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
what is the main advantage of the uniball style over something like LR UCA? do i just not understand the greatness and power of a uniball?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

korslite's Tacoma Gallery
My understanding is that the Uniball allows more down travel than the stock ball joint before it will bind. I am certainly no expert tho.

Dang. Too slow... what he said^^^
Old 06-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
oooooo ok. i can kinda see now. so what if i am looking into getting a set and only occasionally offroad and when i do it is mostly trails with the occasional mud hole. ive also got ome 885's and 90000 shocks up front which would you rec? save money and go with LR or fork out the money and go with a uniball style?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, skip the ucas when lifting only 2"

Check the troubles Nick54 is having getting alignment and rubbing correct.

One fewer variable to mess with.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
o ok thanks PSU. are the LR serviceable? or rebuildable? it kinda looks from what ive seen that they have similar ball joints to the stock UCA's
Old 06-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
LR has replaceable ball joint.