Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Largest Tire Size 16/17" Wheels with No Visible trimming?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Largest Tire Size 16/17" Wheels with No Visible trimming?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...uspension.html

My truck:
2011 Double cab TRD Off-Road 4x4

I saw the above link but it doesn't say what "fits" means. For me, I'm willing to do some trimming as long as its not visible or very minimal. I'm assuming with trimming, we can get a larger OD tire stuffed in there.

Also, stuffed tire size is important, because as we know, when the suspension compresses to it's limits, the tires will hit regardless of the lifts travel, yes?

What's the largest tire with:

16"
17"

I'm thinking its better to keep the 16" for a larger volume tire, making for better off-road performance. I'm looking into nice aftermarket wheels as well.

Please offer any advice and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Thanks boys.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
WHEELS & TIRES taco garage
Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
265/75/16
265/70/17

Generally, tires for 16 inch wheels are cheaper than 17 inch.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
zzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zzchipster's Tacoma Gallery
265/70/17 bfgatko no trimming required
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
265/5 30 no trimming required.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
espdtrd11
espdtrd08 has a spectacular aura aboutespdtrd08 has a spectacular aura about

espdtrd08's Tacoma Gallery
265 70 17 nitto terra grapplers, no rub, no trimming. FTW

Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
The guys at Tire Rack said I could go 275/65/17 w/o rubbing. True? They supposedly guarantee the fit but they're not personal Taco owners.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Stock size. No trimming required.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...uspension.html
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
265/70R17 and 275/65R17 are very close in size. The 265/70 is about half an inch taller overall than the 275/65. I would think that sidewall height is more important than tread width if you plan on off-roading.

My source:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
bonfire is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
bonfire's Tacoma Gallery
I just put on Yokohamas in 265/70/17 and I have a little rubbing with the front mudflaps. It only occurs on sharp turns and is rubbing on the inside of the mudflap. When I get home I'll try to post some pics.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #12

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'd rather have a taller profile then a wider tire. Better for off-roading and when airing down.

I dont mind taking off the mudflaps and trimming. I seem to remember somewhere on this forum or another that with trimming, some were able to get larger OD tires on there. On a 265/70/17 whats the OD? 31.something?

I'm looking forward to those pics, bonfire.

Thanks boys
Old 06-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #13

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Good post from Dylan Evans, a Taco racer. Here's what he has to say from TTORA forums..

Originally Posted by DylanDr
You need to also talk about wheel dimensions when you talk about making tires fit……especially on the 05!

The stock 05 wheel back space is 5.25”….some wheel manufacturers are making deep backspace wheels but it will take time for there to be a good selection of wheels
The first set of tires we ran on our 05 were 305/70R17 on a 17 x 8.5” Walker wheel with 3.75” back space we did some minor trimming and pushed the castor forward for better clearance. They were fine around town but when driven hard they rubbed and were ultimately to big. We are currently running 285/70R17 BFG all terrains (32.8”) on the same wheels and have beat the piss out of the truck with no problems!
On other 05’s we have put 285’s on the stock wheels and there is an occasional rub on the upper A-arm but it is not a problem at all.

In my opinion the best tire/wheel combo is a 285 on a 8” wide wheel with 5” back space.
Finding a wheel with these dimensions is a little tough right now but that will change soon as many new vehicles are using deeper back space and the wheel manufactures will catch up soon!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
Yeah, I'd rather have a taller profile then a wider tire. Better for off-roading and when airing down.

I dont mind taking off the mudflaps and trimming. I seem to remember somewhere on this forum or another that with trimming, some were able to get larger OD tires on there. On a 265/70/17 whats the OD? 31.something?

I'm looking forward to those pics, bonfire.

Thanks boys
255/85 R16 Then.