Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Got remote start for my 6-speed... not worth it

Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Got remote start for my 6-speed... not worth it

Got an autopage remote start for my truck. Honestly I'm pretty disappointed.

In order to set up the remote start to work, you have to first press a button on the transmitter, get out, then press the button again. If you open the doors, you will disable the remote start. You must then restart the engine yourself, and do the process again.

This is not very useful when you need to get something out of your truck in the middle of the night.

Anybody else have remote start with a manual transmission?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds to much of a PITA.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
This is all set into place so you don't leave the truck in gear.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
yeah its not worth it on a manual, i just wanted to get an alarm i can arm and disarm with my phone but they are all stupidly expensive cause they have features i dont need like the remote start. plus i would have to pay a subscription fee to use the service.. decided to say f that
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
x2- I've never found a remote start for a manual to be beneficial, you have to trick the circuitry or remember to leave it in neutral after you leave the vehicle. Personally, I never just rely on my E-brake so I always leave my car and trucks in gear when parking, so a remote start is not for me.
I never saw a remote start to be beneficial on any vehicle but that is just me.

My friend's brother would never leave his car in gear and he said I was crazy for doing it. One day the parking brake cable on his Nissan snapped and the car rolled down a hill and hit a Benz. Yeah, not so crazy anymore huh?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Name: Carson
Carson's Tacoma Gallery
On my Python its doesn't sense if the passenger door is opened or not, so whenever i need something after activating remote start, i just open the passenger door.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
PITA! Just leave your truck running...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Remote start is very beneficial especially winter in Pittsburgh or when its hot as balls and you dont want an infant in the car before it cools off.

The audio place that did my alarm/remote start set it up so that I dont have to follow the procedure. I just need to remember to leave it out of gear. I always use the e-brake and make sure Im parked on flat ground if Im going to leave it out of gear.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget an engine running going no where gets 0 MPG and getting in and driving it in the winter is far better for it.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaibuilt View Post
The audio place that did my alarm/remote start set it up so that I dont have to follow the procedure. I just need to remember to leave it out of gear. I always use the e-brake and make sure Im parked on flat ground if Im going to leave it out of gear.

I could just imagine my truck mobbing over a curb and taking out a small village "shit! forgot to put in nuetral!!"
Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Remote start is very beneficial especially winter in Pittsburgh or when its hot as balls and you dont want an infant in the car before it cools off.
What did people do before remote start was invented?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Didnt you already have this conversation previously about "before XXX was invented"? You're driving an auto - whatd you do before that was invented? Shit, youre driving - whatd you do before that? Ipod, satellite radio, FM radio, pneumatic tires... We can go on and on and all you'd do is look like a hypocrite for implying that anyone w/ remote start is lazy or can't handle temperature extremes or whatever. Its a comfort item and I use it as often as I want.

We can really get into this conversation again but it wouldnt be worth my minimal time I have to spend on this site.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
U no kea but AINOFEA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
PITA! Just leave your truck running...
They do this a lot in WA. When I worked in the ER we had a terminal cancer patient and his wife come to in via taxi. Apparently she did this and the car was stolen out of their driveway.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Didnt you already have this conversation previously about "before XXX was invented"? You're driving an auto - whatd you do before that was invented? Shit, youre driving - whatd you do before that? Ipod, satellite radio, FM radio, pneumatic tires... We can go on and on and all you'd do is look like a hypocrite for implying that anyone w/ remote start is lazy or can't handle temperature extremes or whatever. Its a comfort item and I use it as often as I want.

We can really get into this conversation again but it wouldnt be worth my minimal time I have to spend on this site.
I don't remember if we did or not. I don't really care either. I'm just saying they are worthless in my book. It is more of a show off piece than anything else.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
U no kea but AINOFEA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
I could just imagine my truck mobbing over a curb and taking out a small village "shit! forgot to put in nuetral!!"
Actually, I put left her in gear w/ the e-brake on. She rocks forward but not much else.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
shitty...........my maxima had an autopage (automatic), and it was perfect for those early mornings, or even hot afternoons. I could start it from across the street downtown, when it was parked on the 3rd story of a concrete parking structure and I was on the street.

sorry to hear ur not happy.......did ya read up all the options?

they get confusing due to all the diff ways to set them up.

I dont understand the autostart being disabled if u open the door........does it have to do with the carjack setting or anything?

they are very configurable (well they used to be)
Since it's a stick shift... to guarantee that the car is not in gear, you must exit the vehicle with the engine running and let it shut itself off. That way the car is sure it will start again in neutral.

If you open the doors... it's possible that you could put it in gear with the engine off. Therefore it disables the remote start until you set it up again.

So if you have the remote start read to go for the morning, like I did... then you go out to your truck to get your phone at 2am, you just disabled your remote start. Very annoying.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #17
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:

Damn dude ... seems to me that whippersnapper02 implied nothing of the sort! But you just did. You get a lot of crap for having a remote start or something?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #18
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
you just got the wrong brand installed...get a compustar...If the parking brake is on when you turn off the key the truck will stay running setting it up for the remote start cycle. It will stay running till you close the last door so It knows its in neutral with the doors closed.If you turn the key off before putting on the parking brake, the truck will just turn off like normal. its a much better system than the dei...take it back and get the other one installed. You guys do know you can use your remote starter to cool off your truck when its 130 degrees inside dont ya?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #19
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I never saw a remote start to be beneficial on any vehicle but that is just me.

My friend's brother would never leave his car in gear and he said I was crazy for doing it. One day the parking brake cable on his Nissan snapped and the car rolled down a hill and hit a Benz. Yeah, not so crazy anymore huh?
Agreed.I've got a few extra minutes a day to cool her down or heat her up.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #20

Update!

I went to the shop and talked to the installer before the salesguy. He told me that if I sign a liability waiver, he can make the remote start work like an automatic transmission. Done and done.

Pray for me that I never start it in gear.