Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bug deflector removal , any successful processes?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
best bug wind deflector shield for 2011 tacoma

If Anyone has had good experiences with any Non Oem wind bug deflectors please post your experience.

I do not want the Toyota brand that has metal clips, prefer something that fits into the factory holes on the underside of hood.

Please let me know where you got it and how much they are.

I guess the most important thing is the quality, no shaking or breaking and good flat black look (since it will be on a black truck).

Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
RichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rich
RichB's Tacoma Gallery
Weathertech lines up with existing holes and uses plastic screw type fasteners. I have one on my truck, but don't bother with the small rubber hood protectors that they supply.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Those rubber things are to keep the plastic from hitting and rubbing the paint on those lo-profile bug deflectors. I'd put them on if you're going to run one of those types of deflectors. Some other brands are stiff and stand off the front of the truck more and aren't able to flex back and hit the paint and do not require those rubber things.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
RichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rich
RichB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Those rubber things are to keep the plastic from hitting and rubbing the paint on those lo-profile bug deflectors. I'd put them on if you're going to run one of those types of deflectors. Some other brands are stiff and stand off the front of the truck more and aren't able to flex back and hit the paint and do not require those rubber things.
I did put them on originally but I was concerned about them over time and if they would pull paint off with them, which would defeat the purpose anyway. I've pushed down with my own weight (against the rubber dots) and it was difficult to get the deflector to touch them, so I think it's strong enough without them. Thanks for the concern though.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I did put them on originally but I was concerned about them over time and if they would pull paint off with them, which would defeat the purpose anyway. I've pushed down with my own weight (against the rubber dots) and it was difficult to get the deflector to touch them, so I think it's strong enough without them. Thanks for the concern though.
Nice! Just didn't want you to wear a spot in your paint over time. The last lo-pro one I owned was flimsy as hell, weathertech must make theirs a little better.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
BigBiscuit is on a distinguished road

BigBiscuit's Tacoma Gallery
I have an EGR Bug Deflector. I didn't like the look of the factory ones. This one fit the existing holes. No rubber standoffs. No flexing or cracking so far after one year. I'm happy with it.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Sweet truck big biscuit! I will check out the EGR and weathertech now. It looks better than the OEM toyota I have just removed.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Lund Avenger on mine for 1 year, then decided to take it off. No problems with it, just wanted a different look. It installed with no clips and right into the OEM mounting holes.

I still have it in the garage. If you're close by you can have it and I'll help you install it. It'll only take 5 minutes.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
The title of this thread is a bit misleading...

I installed a weathertech on my truck 4 years ago and it's still holding up. No issues with it so far.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Lund on mine... I decided to take it off because I preferred the look without it better. My hood was scratched really bad.

In the year I have had it off, I have not received any rock chips, so I am not a huge believer in using them anymore....
Old 06-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
The title of this thread is a bit misleading...

I installed a weathertech on my truck 4 years ago and it's still holding up. No issues with it so far.
That is because immedietly after posting I went out and took it off... Then edited post, although wouldn't let me edit title...

Anyway, the content of the post is right. My next step is to find one that doesn't scratch or wear on the paint.

Maybe I will start a new post where as the title compares deflectors.