Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about warranty

Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Question about warranty

My truck was bought in Feb brand new and I was wondering what is Toyota's policy with mods and stuff for the truck? I don't really want to void my warranty since I have 4 years left.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
If your mod causes or can justifiably be linked to a problem, warranty won't cover it.

For example, if you do a lift, and you have a suspension problem, you might run into trouble.

But if you do a lift and the radio breaks, there is no connection there--the warranty should cover the radio.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
If your mod causes or can justifiably be linked to a problem, warranty won't cover it.

For example, if you do a lift, and you have a suspension problem, you might run into trouble.

But if you do a lift and the radio breaks, there is no connection there--the warranty should cover the radio.
Thanks. I was going to add DT LongTubes but I am worried it might void the warranty
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
If they give a fuss, they have to prove that what you did in your mod negatively affected what you are trying to warranty.

It's a pretty simple rule to remember. Whatever you replaced, won't be warrantied.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
If they give a fuss, they have to prove that what you did in your mod negatively affected what you are trying to warranty.

It's a pretty simple rule to remember. Whatever you replaced, won't be warrantied.
IF the dealerships disapprove, would talking to corporate prove useful?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
Thanks. I was going to add DT LongTubes but I am worried it might void the warranty
Headers? Likely makes it hard to get warranty work on cats or rest of exhaust, but unless the header has a problem or sets a wiring harness on fire it is unlikely to have any other effect.

You might run into a service advisor who claims it voids the engine warranty, but only if the header caused the failure.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My truck was bought in Feb brand new and I was wondering what is Toyota's policy with mods and stuff for the truck? I don't really want to void my warranty since I have 4 years left.

Thanks!
Just so you know, it doesn't matter what Toyota's policy is. It's Federal law (Magnusson-Moss warranty act).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

They can't void your warranty because of a modification. They can decline to warranty something if your modification contributed to the failure (as stated above).
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IF the dealerships disapprove, would talking to corporate prove useful?
This below was going to be my answer. It's a law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Just so you know, it doesn't matter what Toyota's policy is. It's Federal law (Magnusson-Moss warranty act).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

They can't void your warranty because of a modification. They can decline to warranty something if your modification contributed to the failure (as stated above).