Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Picky or POS

Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
RX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the rough
RX2RIDE's Tacoma Gallery
Picky or POS

I have a 2009 OR that I bought new. It currently has 21,000 miles on it. I have had the following warranty or TSB done on it.

1. Rear Leaf TSB. Great improvement, I tow a lot and this has helped. Why it is not like this from the factory is a mystery to me.(found on TW)
2. Steering Shaft TSB. Drove me nuts on our 7 mile dirt road to a family cabin. (found on TW).
3. Passenger Seat Rattle. TSB to cut alignment pins. Fixed (Found on TW)
4. Passenger side valve cover leaked. Fixed under warranty.
5. Blower Motor. Fixed under warranty (found on TW).

I have had this truck in the shop 5 different times now and am wondering what's next. My 08 (Wife's) 4Runner is going strong with NO issues. This may sound petty, but 5 times in the shop is a bit excessive for a truck with 20k miles. The only issue that was optional was the rear add a leaf. I just paid off the truck and am hoping for gas and oil only for awhile. As of today, no issues that are "bothering me". However I only have about another year of warranty. So the question is what's next??? Is there any other issues that are common that I should be on the lookout for? All of these problems seem like poor quality control. I like the truck, but if much more happens.. It's going to get replaced with a Tundra.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2RIDE View Post
....So the question is what's next???...
hmmm... maybe the next thing you find on TW?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
it sounds like your not having any major mechanical problems, so honestly i say live with it. you wont find a truck more dependable or capable.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
So it looks like you havent had any catastrophic shop visits? The Tacoma's have had a slight decline in workmanship, I am still holding on strong with the company. I feel your pain, I went through some issues with my truck when I bought it.

I would say your not being picky, a leaky valve cover would piss me off at 20,000 miles. Some of the other stuff...minor.

I would vote to keep your truck, a Tundra is going to cost more is fuel...you can't fix that problem!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
RX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the rough
RX2RIDE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
hmmm... maybe the next thing you find on TW?
No really, these where issues that I had discovered and found fixes doing research on the site before I took it in to the dealer.... well maybe not the rear springs
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The little things don't bug me. It is 1000000000% better than my Ranger and I don't think any of the other mid size trucks could even come close.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
RX2RIDE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
it sounds like your not having any major mechanical problems, so honestly i say live with it. you wont find a truck more dependable or capable.
Yeah, But my 1999 i had like in your pics was rock solid and what got me set on Toyota!!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
and leaking seals.............(not sea mammals pissing)
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The little things don't bug me. It is 1000000000% better than my Ranger and I don't think any of the other mid size trucks could even come close.
^^ This.

As a law enforcement ranger, I do miles and miles of off-road patrol in a slightly modified Chevy Colorado. At the end of the day I can't wait to get off shift and drive my Tacoma. I have owned and/or driven a wide range of trucks and none of them fit the bill (at least for me) better than the Tacoma. I'll live with the small QC issues.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Throughout bearing squeak could crop up if you have the 6 speed manual. It'll be covered under the powertrain warranty (5 yr, 60K miles).