LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Scratched and dented my tailgate

Old 06-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
bridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: If I told you....I'd have to kill you. ;-)
bridgcat's Tacoma Gallery
Scratched and dented my tailgate

Well...the other day I helped my older brother move his old Dodge Neon. I drove all the way down to Daphne, AL with my friend and my twin brother and we loaded the car onto the trailer and made it to my brothers new house with no problems. I was using my dads old beater trailer and when we started to unload the car off the trailer it got stuck on the frame of the car and the back end of the trailer where the ramps were. So like the idiots we are, we left the car like it was and unhooked the trailer. Well...as you can imagine with all the weight on the back of the trailer...we weren't in a good position! So the trailer finally came unlatched from my ball hitch and the weight of the car caused the front to shoot up and forward while the car rolled back off of the trailer (no damage to the crap car) and the trailer tongue slammed into my tailgate and made a decent dent and an awful scratch. Needless to say I wasn't happy but it was my fault for being in a rush to get back home so I could take my boat out for an afternoon of fishing. I was really just pissed at myself and relieved that no one got hurt...because given the position we were in, someone could have been very easily. So anyways...this all leads into my question after my novel of a redneck story. Does anyone know an average cost to get something like this fixed? I hate seeing my baby with a huge gash like this on her and I'm not one to just leave it there. I do like my truck looking nice. So...any advice on getting it fixed would be helpful. Picture is attached below. It's worse than it looks in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratched and dented my tailgate-tailgate.jpg  
Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
You have just completed the tailgate theft deterrent mod.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post

OP I dented and scratched the top of mine in the middle of the Tailgate. It was covered under insurance however the estimate came back at a little over $700 to replace it and have it painted from the body shop.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgcat View Post
Crap! Well...I didn't want to use insurance but I guess I will since my deductable is $500! Thanks man!

Talk to your agent, I was able to have mine covered under a comp. coverage and ony had a $100 deductible, otherwise it would have been $500 like yourself. For me it came down to the truck being parked with the keys in my pocket while something was being loaded in the bed.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I say use some rattle-can so it's not glaringly obvious and just drive it. You use your truck as a truck so you're gonna get minor dents and cuts, and I say it's normal wear but maybe that is just me and your example may be pushing the definition of normal wear a little. What I'm saying is, that gash is purely cosmetic and the cost to repair it properly is not worth it IMO.

Quote:
LOL -- super awesome!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgcat View Post
I'm not an insurance know it all so my question is. Should I have filed a claim when it happened? It happened about 2 weeks ago.
My guess is they'll ask you a couple extra questions, but it'll be OK.

If you want it "perfect" insurance claim is the way to go.

If you want it to just look a lot better and not stick out like a sore thumb:

1. remove the tailgate

2. wire wheel or sand the paint around the dent down to the sheet metal

3. apply a little bondo according to instructions

4. allow to dry and sand smooth (couple thin coats may be reqd, depending on depth)

6. apply spray on "touch up" paint from local auto parts store.

Total cost around 20 to 30 bucks and a Saturday.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
LOL..Looks like mine now. In other words, it looks like a truck should, I had a shitty trailer hitch come up and smack mine too like that- that I borrowed.

Sucks but just try and paint over it
Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
I'd try and fix it myself
Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What he said.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
hey mine looks like that too...but I backed into a rock while off roading lol...(a big invisible one)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
kd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rocky
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
Please PLEASE tell me that someone got it on video. Really that sucks. I have done things that sounded like a good idea untill the OH SHIT moment.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #16
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to a body shop and get a quote before you go to your insurance. If you go through insurance it can be a mark against you. A shop might do the same work for 2-300 bucks. Best of all its just a tailgate so you can take it off, leave it and not be without a truck while they fix it.