1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scratched and dented my tailgate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bridgcat, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jun 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    bridgcat

bridgcat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Well...the other day I helped my older brother move his old Dodge Neon. I drove all the way down to Daphne, AL with my friend and my twin brother and we loaded the car onto the trailer and made it to my brothers new house with no problems. I was using my dads old beater trailer and when we started to unload the car off the trailer it got stuck on the frame of the car and the back end of the trailer where the ramps were. So like the idiots we are, we left the car like it was and unhooked the trailer. Well...as you can imagine with all the weight on the back of the trailer...we weren't in a good position! So the trailer finally came unlatched from my ball hitch and the weight of the car caused the front to shoot up and forward while the car rolled back off of the trailer (no damage to the crap car) and the trailer tongue slammed into my tailgate and made a decent dent and an awful scratch. Needless to say I wasn't happy but it was my fault for being in a rush to get back home so I could take my boat out for an afternoon of fishing. I was really just pissed at myself and relieved that no one got hurt...because given the position we were in, someone could have been very easily. So anyways...this all leads into my question after my novel of a redneck story. Does anyone know an average cost to get something like this fixed? I hate seeing my baby with a huge gash like this on her and I'm not one to just leave it there. I do like my truck looking nice. So...any advice on getting it fixed would be helpful. Picture is attached below. It's worse than it looks in the picture.

Tailgate.jpg

2. Jun 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    You have just completed the tailgate theft deterrent mod.

3. Jun 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

:rofl:

OP I dented and scratched the top of mine in the middle of the Tailgate. It was covered under insurance however the estimate came back at a little over $700 to replace it and have it painted from the body shop.

4. Jun 10, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    FML...an easy mod for any redneck! Bahahaha! :D

5. Jun 10, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Crap! Well...I didn't want to use insurance but I guess I will since my deductable is $500! Thanks man!

6. Jun 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

Talk to your agent, I was able to have mine covered under a comp. coverage and ony had a $100 deductible, otherwise it would have been $500 like yourself. For me it came down to the truck being parked with the keys in my pocket while something was being loaded in the bed.

7. Jun 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I say use some rattle-can so it's not glaringly obvious and just drive it. You use your truck as a truck so you're gonna get minor dents and cuts, and I say it's normal wear but maybe that is just me and your example may be pushing the definition of normal wear a little. What I'm saying is, that gash is purely cosmetic and the cost to repair it properly is not worth it IMO.

LOL -- super awesome!

8. Jun 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:

I'm not an insurance know it all so my question is. Should I have filed a claim when it happened? It happened about 2 weeks ago.

9. Jun 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    My guess is they'll ask you a couple extra questions, but it'll be OK.

If you want it "perfect" insurance claim is the way to go.

If you want it to just look a lot better and not stick out like a sore thumb:

1. remove the tailgate

2. wire wheel or sand the paint around the dent down to the sheet metal

3. apply a little bondo according to instructions

4. allow to dry and sand smooth (couple thin coats may be reqd, depending on depth)

6. apply spray on "touch up" paint from local auto parts store.

Total cost around 20 to 30 bucks and a Saturday.

10. Jun 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    LOL..Looks like mine now. In other words, it looks like a truck should, I had a shitty trailer hitch come up and smack mine too like that- that I borrowed.

Sucks but just try and paint over it

11. Jun 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    I'd try and fix it myself

12. Jun 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    What he said.

13. Jun 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    hey mine looks like that too...but I backed into a rock while off roading lol...(a big invisible one)

14. Jun 10, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    kd8awe

kd8awe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fog mod, 3" lift, ShoMe stobes, MicroLight LED Strobes, HiLift Jack, RCI 2950, Yaesu 8900r, 20% Tint, ScanGauge II, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, *** New Mod's (parts on the way) *** U-Bolt flip kit. Tom Woods 1 Piece Double Cardan Drive Shaft. 3* Axel Shims
    Please PLEASE tell me that someone got it on video. Really that sucks. I have done things that sounded like a good idea untill the OH SHIT moment.

15. Jun 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Ouch, lesson learned. At least it was your truck and you did it. You would feel a lot worse if you did it to a friend or a friend did it to you. Good luck with the repair. I have had good luck with Fix Auto and Caliber Collision for what it's worth.

16. Jun 11, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Take it to a body shop and get a quote before you go to your insurance. If you go through insurance it can be a mark against you. A shop might do the same work for 2-300 bucks. Best of all its just a tailgate so you can take it off, leave it and not be without a truck while they fix it.

Products Discussed in

To Top