Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DYI Silver Color MatchPaint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper

Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
AnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura about

AnotherSilverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
DIY Silver Color Match Paint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper

I got my Trailrider in from CBI and worked all night to get it painted. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
DYI Silver Color MatchPaint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper-photo-511kb.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
AnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura about

I used Automotivetouchup.com They put the stuff in spray cans, send a couple of test cards for you to test the paint match before you commit. Apparently if the color is off they will fix it. I followed the instructions they give on the web site and it came out perfectly smooth and a near perfect match.

I had seen enough rhino lined bumpers so I wanted to do something different.

If anybody is serious about doing this let me know and I will give more details.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Turned out better than i was expecting. Nice!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
TheGreekIndian is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
TheGreekIndian's Tacoma Gallery
More pictures?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
espdtrd11
espdtrd08 has a spectacular aura aboutespdtrd08 has a spectacular aura about

espdtrd08's Tacoma Gallery
Is that with factory hitch or not. Really nice bumper.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
That turned out really nice. I would be interested in more pics of the bumper and the company you got the paint from. Curious if they can match pyrite mica for my fender flares.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #10

CBI integrates the hitch into the bumper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by espdtrd08 View Post
Is that with factory hitch or not. Really nice bumper.
No that is not the factory hitch. The factory hitch hangs down way to much. CBI is good about getting max ground clearance with their bumpers. I should say that the way Nathan did mine is different from usual, because I plan to mount an M8000 with WARN multimount winch cradle as it would have been too short to put the pin in. Normally the hitch is cut at an angle for an even better departure angle, but Nathan realized that wouldn't work with the Warn winch cradle and he fixed it by making it square, so it looks a bit like stock. I am not sure exactly how much higher the bumper is from the stock setup, but I would say 3-4 inches higher for more ground clearance.

Here is a pic of the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI Silver Color MatchPaint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper-photo-hitch.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rth View Post
That turned out really nice. I would be interested in more pics of the bumper and the company you got the paint from. Curious if they can match pyrite mica for my fender flares.
Just google automotivetouchup.com and search for your paint color.

I will admit my paint job came out slightly lighter than the body, but I beiieve it was my fault and here is why.

They tell you if a metallic paint is too light then paint thicker coats and if too dark paint lighter coats. It was 4 am and I was trying get it all done in 1 night, so I wasn't really paying that much attention to how dark or light it was. I also was cheap and only bought 1 can of clear coat.

I my defense, light metallic colors from what I understand are some of the hardest to match.

If you want to do a bumper. Buy 2 cans of primer, 2 cans of base coat and 2 cans of clear coat and use it all. Buy prep solvent, compound and eveything esle they suggest to use. Paint the inside of the bumper with rustoleum automative primer and enamal before doing the outside to save money. I did not seem to have a compatibility issue with the rustoleum and the touch up paint where they overlapped a bit on the edges. The paint will run 80-100 dollars.

Sand like hell 80, then 120, and then 220 grit vibrating orbital sander. Use a little body filler for any deep scratches that might have occurred in shipping. Mine showed up off the pallet because the shipping company handled it so poorly!

Here is a close up, so you can see what I mean.

What amazes me is how smooth the paint came out.

It is smoother than my factory paint with the exception of places that I could have sanded better.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI Silver Color MatchPaint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper-photo-corner.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #12

Another pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekIndian View Post
More pictures?
Here is a close up of the light bucket, D shackle bracket, and I also had Nathan make a hole and bracket to mount my Warn Power cable for the winch. I also bought a front receiver hitch to mount the winch front and rear. The rough paint on the D shackle bracket is where I marred the paint when I failed to pad the 2x4 I used to pound the bumper into place. It fit nice and snug!

I will try to post a pic with the winch in place. I bet it looks sweet.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI Silver Color MatchPaint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper-power-outlet.jpg   DYI Silver Color MatchPaint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper-power-outlet-open.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, turned out damn good for a one night paint job.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rth View Post
Thanks for the info, turned out damn good for a one night paint job.
Yes, I felt like I took a risk trying to match the color and not sure if I could get the paint smooth with a spray can. They do put a nice spray tip on the spray cans. I had a few times when the paint spattered, but it dried smooth without a problem. I had to wet sand one single 1/4 inch drop of paint that splattered out of the tip. That was the only problem I had with the automotive touchup.com products.

I would say to anybody to give the automotivetouchup.com paint a try. I was very impressed with how easy the paint went on.

It is very doable.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
That's nice!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #16

Thanks for the compliments everyone, they beat the heck of the wife looking at it and saying, "huh, thats all you did!" I desperately need the validation.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
TheGreekIndian is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
TheGreekIndian's Tacoma Gallery
lets see some more angles of that bumper! Makes me wanna ditch this stock one asap!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #18

With winch

Can't wait to get my CBI hidden front receiver hitch installed. Here is how it looks on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI Silver Color MatchPaint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper-warn-m8000-winch-cbi-trailrider-bumper.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #19

Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekIndian View Post
lets see some more angles of that bumper! Makes me wanna ditch this stock one asap!
I had the chrome rear bumper with trailer hitch. I love the towing package for the auto transmission cooler, 7 pin, and all that stuff, but that big chrome thing just didn't go with the truck at all and that hitch was too low.
Attached Thumbnails
DYI Silver Color MatchPaint Job on CBI Trailrider Rear Bumper-cbi-trailrider-2.0-bumper-freshly-painted.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #20
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
that looks real good. Different is good.