Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Power Steering Fluid Recommendations

Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Power Steering Fluid Recommendations

Ive recently noticed my power steering fluid is a bit on the low side. The manuel and cap on the reservoir calls for Dexron type ATF. My question is, What type of fluid are you guys using on your Taco? So many options available I dont want to add some crappy fluid that could mess things up. Also, have any of you ever drain/replaced your power steering fluid? Was it hard to do? Thanks guys.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Bump...
Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
kahanabob has a spectacular aura aboutkahanabob has a spectacular aura about
kahanabob's Tacoma Gallery
repclace fluid.YES..........take a turkey baster and suck out all the old fluid and replace with whatever you decide. i also do this with my brake master about once a year.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
MassTaco has a spectacular aura aboutMassTaco has a spectacular aura about

MassTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I changed mine out to mobil 1 ATF when I installed the magnefine @ 20k miles. At almost 47k it's still looking good, no issues to report.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

Also, I use the following method for a change:

1) Suck out the fluid in the reservoir (turkey baster or other fluid pump)
2) Disconnect the return line to the reservoir (it's the one that's higher on the reservoir, feeding into the side)
3) Close off the return line hose barb on the reservoir, then top it off with the new ATF of your choice.
4) Jack up the front wheels
5) With the engine off! - place a container under the return line, then rotate the steering wheel from one side to the other, each full cycle will force about 8-10 ounces of fluid out, so be sure you have a big enough container.
6) Repeat the top off / steering cycle until you have new clean fluid coming out of the return line, and the level of the reservoir is BELOW the return line input.
7) Reconnect the return line - still with the engine off, top off the reservoir, then cycle the steering, top off the reservoir, cycle the steering .... do this until the level is correct.
8) Let the vehicle down off the jack, double-check all of your hose connections then start it up.
9) With the engine running cycle the steering a couple more times then shut it down.
10) re-check the level in the reservoir and top up if necessary.
11) You're done!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Would the Toyota type 4 ATF work?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #7

I would think that would be fine if that's what you have laying around.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
There's a "how to flush your powersteering fluid" around here somewhere. I used some extra AMSoil synthetic ATF that I had. Toyota T-IV and Dextron II/III are compatible, at least in transmission applications, not 100% sure about in PS applications.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't anyone rtfm anymore?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
True true, If they Toyota T IV and Dextron III/IV are compatible then they should it should be fine in the power steering system,,, I hope. (Anyone ever try this)? And yes i saw the PS flush thread....Thanks.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Ocean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really nice

Ocean's's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Great write up for Power Steering in 2nd Gen Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTaco View Post
Also, I use the following method for a change:

1) Suck out the fluid in the reservoir (turkey baster or other fluid pump)
2) Disconnect the return line to the reservoir (it's the one that's higher on the reservoir, feeding into the side)
3) Close off the return line hose barb on the reservoir, then top it off with the new ATF of your choice.
4) Jack up the front wheels
5) With the engine off! - place a container under the return line, then rotate the steering wheel from one side to the other, each full cycle will force about 8-10 ounces of fluid out, so be sure you have a big enough container.
6) Repeat the top off / steering cycle until you have new clean fluid coming out of the return line, and the level of the reservoir is BELOW the return line input.
7) Reconnect the return line - still with the engine off, top off the reservoir, then cycle the steering, top off the reservoir, cycle the steering .... do this until the level is correct.
8) Let the vehicle down off the jack, double-check all of your hose connections then start it up.
9) With the engine running cycle the steering a couple more times then shut it down.
10) re-check the level in the reservoir and top up if necessary.
11) You're done!
MassTaco: That was a great Write up as I just completed my Power Steering Fluid Change on my 2008 2nd Gen Tacoma TRD Off Road.

I would like to add to your write up the following:

1. The Turkey Baster head was not long enough so I had to add a piece of 1/4" inside Dia x 4" long clear tubing to reach the bottom of the reservoir. (It was too tight to fit so a few seconds above the stove fire made it pliable for it to fit over turkey baster head.)

2. I used a 1/2" Rubber Cap I got at NAPA Auto Parts to close the return line hose barb on the reservoir.

3. I used a 2 liter plastic soda bottle for the ruturn line, and it fit perfectly standing straight up on the Tacoma's frame right next to Power Steering Reservoir.

4. I bought 2 Quarts of ATF DEXRON lll, and I used 1 full Quart of Dexron lll to do entire fluid exchange.

If you think any of the added info is worth adding to your Directions, take what you want and included it into a new sticky...

Pzzzzz from Cali'
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
j0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

j0sh's Tacoma Gallery
used mobil 1 ATF in mine and it has been good the last 30k miles or so
Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Madmax702 is on a distinguished road
Name: Max
Madmax702's Tacoma Gallery
yea i did Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my WRX about every 25-30k! about $10 a bottle. you should be fine with 1 bottle unless you do a complete flush and fill
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
cwagly is on a distinguished road
cwagly's Tacoma Gallery
I read through most of this thread and did go through some others and I may have missed it but I have a question....so this may have been asked for the 07 Tacomas, the Power steering fluid in mine is amber or yellow and the Toyota Parts dealer sold me red ATF DEXRON lll fluid. Dealer said its ok to top up and mix them. The red is only a dye and he thinks the amber or yellow is the fluid used in Japan. So, is it wise to mix it or just change it all together? I can't see it hurting anything. Maybe I am wrong but just like to be sure.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 84 Corolla diesel and the reservoir called for ATF. I got some Casterol ATF and replaced it. Within two days I could hardly turn the wheel. I went to K-Mart and bought the cheapest crap power steering fluid on the shelf. Replaced the fluid again and 5 minutes later was back in business.