1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Receiver Winch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AnotherSilverTaco, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    AnotherSilverTaco

AnotherSilverTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    I added a receiver hitch/winch today:

It has been well documented by LivianInt, BJMoose and others. Thanks guys for all the help. You made this a really easy install with your write-ups.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72923

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/129351-cbi-offroad-hidden-front-hitch-install.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/144184-bjmoose-installs-receiver-winch.html

I wanted to share how I mounted the winch power plug.

Warn sent me an extra control unit mounting bracket with the multimount kit, which if you drill 2 more holes in it, makes a perfect mount for getting the plug behind the lower grill. Just use a couple of metal screws and mount it securely to the top of the receiver hitch crossbar. See pics.

CBI is an awesome company to do business with and this is a simple install. Anybody contemplating it, should go for it!

Bracket for front power outlet to winch..jpg
    Front winch 3.jpg
    Warn M8000 on Front.jpg
    Warn M8000 Winch on CBI Trailrider Bumper.jpg
    Front Power Outlet Closed.jpg

2. Jun 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    :thumbsup:

3. Jun 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Nightwar

Nightwar .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Webster, Tx
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5 V6 4X4 Silver
    Avid sliders & Lightbar, Front 5100s/Eibachs, Rear OME Shocks/Alcan 2" AAL, LR UCAs, Debadged, ProComp 7089s, BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey decals, 2x Kicker CompVR 10s, Pioneer P4300DVD, BHLM
    Looks good!

4. Jun 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    doesn't waggle around enough to contact the "bumper" does it? under load?

Was thinking this is the "only" way to go for a tacoma. Winch bumper requires new front suspension. I wouldn't even think about taking a pickup truck trail riding but doesn't mean you can't get stuck or need to pull down a barn, make a hoist or something.

5. Jun 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    I waggles a bit, like anything in a receiver, but is about 1-2 inches away from the bumper, which seems about right to me. I am not sure how much side load you would have to put it under for it to contact the bumper.

I hope that having front and rear options means I can avoid side pulls. I mainly wheel on North Padre Island, so its all sand and never a place to tie off to. I plan to get a Pull-Pal and hopefully never do a hard side pull. Until then it would have to be burying a deadman.

If I envisioned the truck as a hard core trail rig, then I could agree with the winch bumper and suspension upgrade, but even then I sure like the ability to put the winch on the front or rear and you can't do that with most winch bumpers.

I figure if the truck evolves into something else later on, I have only spent about $600 on the front receiver and multimount which I can probably recoup if I decide to go with a winch bumper. Still losing the ability to put it on the rear would suck.

This is a quick and easy way to get a winch on the truck, hands down. There will be naysayers, but when it comes right down to it, the multimount, front receiver, and rear bumper are a hell of a lot stronger than the frame ends of the truck in my opinion.

I have heard about people putting 2 receivers to carry the winch, but it seems like if you were that worried about it, you could add some brackets and bolt the winch carrier down to the bumper when you needed to do a hard side pull.

Heck maybe someday I will have someone fab me a custom front bumper designed for easy on off of the winch! That would rock!

When the winch isn't installed it could have rod holder or something instead.

Hmmm...

6. Jun 18, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    Looks good!

To stop the "waggles" I drilled a hole in the side & welded a "1/2 nut in it. So I can tighten up the bolt to stop the "waggles".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jun 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    Here is how to make a splashproof housing for your Warn receiver winch solenoid. The solenoid is needed so that the large cables from the battery are not continuously carrying current to the front and back of the vehicle. You want these to be well protected, insulated, and to have a short run of cable from battery to solenoid. Here is what I came up with. Basically a Cantex Junction Box from Home Depot that I shaved 3/4 of an inch off to clear the battery. Cut a large hole in the bottom for the cables. You must then drill 5 holes in the back to mount everything securely with 5/16 bolts. Pretty simple, but worth the added protection and piece of mind.

Winch Solenoid 3.jpg
    Winch Solenoid 1.jpg
    Winch Solenoid 2.jpg
    Warn M8000 on Front.jpg
    Warn M8000 Winch on CBI Trailrider Bumper.jpg

8. Jul 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks good

9. Jul 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    Great idea, but not sure I am removing my bumper again right away.

10. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    Ah was able to just drill and tap the receiver. No waggles. Thanks again for the suggestion, FastLayne.

Products Discussed in

To Top