Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
mhagie is on a distinguished road
Name: Merle
mhagie's Tacoma Gallery
compass/temp display

In the daytime when the sun is out I can't read the temp/compass display
as it is just too dim to see.
At night its ok.
It does not change brightness whether the headlights are on or off.
Am I the only one with this issue?
Asked the dealer and all I got was DUH never heard of that problem.
Thanks, Merle
Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started to get too dim to see, then stopped working completely, try this

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-temp-fix.html
Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
with or without sunglasses?

Welcome to TW
Ditto. If your sunglasses are polarized, perhaps that's the problem? Otherwise, no I've never seen that. Mine doesn't change brightness with the headlights, but it's pretty easy to read.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
mhagie's Tacoma Gallery
The point is the display is a lot dimmer than for instance the clock.The clock is way brighter than the compass/temp display.
Is this normal or just my truck.
Merle
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
The clock is definitely brighter. Even the background of the clock glows orange, whereas the compass/temp background is black, and the writing is definitely a few notches down the brightness meter.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
It is an LED display, not LCD.

Polarized sunglasses will not dim it (at least more than the normal dimness of the glasses.

Take it off the roof and check the resistors. You may need to resolder one.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
mhagie's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a plan.
Thank you.
Merle
Old 06-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't touch it if it's still under warranty. Compare your truck to one on the lot. It sounds normal. Mine can be hard to make out sometimes as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Warranty on these is one of those things that is pretty much a waste of time, since the problem is so common but easy to fix.

2 seconds of solder and you will never have a problem again for the life of the truck. Much faster to just fix it yourself, and a much better fix than a new one that likely will develop the same issue.

EDIT: Mine is NEVER hard to make out. After I did the resistor fix, it always shines bright, even mid-day.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
It is an LED display, not LCD.

Polarized sunglasses will not dim it (at least more than the normal dimness of the glasses.

Take it off the roof and check the resistors. You may need to resolder one.
No its not... Its a vacuum Florescent display.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Warranty on these is one of those things that is pretty much a waste of time, since the problem is so common but easy to fix.
Except I believe the OP's complaint is really normal operation and I haven't heard of any issues with '09 and newer displays. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
No its not... Its a vacuum Florescent display.
Sorry, it does actually look like a VFD rather than LED. Either way, it does not depend on a backlight, polarizing filter, and LCD changing polarization. There is no concern about polarized sunglasses.

Like LED, it is a direct light emission display, at no particular polarization.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Mine definitely dims when the headlights are on, probably as it's supposed to be due to contrast.

The biggest problem I have with my '09 is that I get a lot of reflections on that shiny surface and can't read the display behind it. I've tried Scotch tape to knock down the glare but no joy all characters are blurred to unreadable. then. Sure hate to take that amber face off.

I noticed the 2012 doesn't have the display there. They probably put it forward on the dash or cowl...where it should have been all along.

Whit