1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My horn re-locate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longbow, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Oct 10, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    This was the quickest mod I ever did. Best of all everything was already their.
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Nice curious to why you moved it.

3. Oct 10, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    x2

4. Oct 10, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I am sure he moved them so they would not be visible behind his grill.

5. Oct 10, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Just saw his pics and noticed what type of grill he had paint the radiator would look nice.

6. Oct 10, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    it's in coma

it's in coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    very nice, i so want to do that, could you please be a little more specific on how you did it?

7. Oct 10, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    yes I am going to paint behind the grill, that is the main reason I moved the horns, stuck out like a sore thumb.

As for moving them, unplug the clips from the horns, I made sure and took a silver sharpie and put a dash on the right horn and plug. Just to make sure I didn't re-wire it wrong (may not matter).
    I also unplug the items in the center section in front of the radiator. I then moved all cable to the drivers side behind the battery, and the other box's their making sure to keep it as neat as I could considering the wire mess already.
    I then removed the horns, and then just re-bolted them to the existing holes (the horns screws fit the nut holes under the hood). If I am not mistaken I flipped the one bracket so they sit the way they do.
    After a little playing around I got the position the way I wanted it, and tightened everything up. Then I plugged everything back in, the item (relay??) that was in the center section, well there is a hole on top of the fender well, it is bigger. But I had a rubber cromet (spelling) laying around, I just plugged the hole, put a slice in it with a knife and pushed the tab in.
    When it was all said and done, and I was happy, I took a few ties just to make it look like it had been their all the time.
    Reached in side and hit the horn, WORKS and still has thay funky Tacoma sound.

8. Oct 10, 2008 at 11:41 AM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    i bet it looks a lot better now without the horns showing....
    by the way, (not sure if you did it already or not) but if you take the "baffles/covers" off of the horn's opening it makes them a little bit louder...

9. Oct 10, 2008 at 11:43 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I have been wanting to get a big air horn (like for tractor trailers) secretly mounted somewhere in my engine compartment... That way, when I blast some fool for cutting me off - it'll suprise him too! :)

BrightTribe likes this.
  10. Oct 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11. Oct 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Matter of fact it really does, not as cluttered sort of speaking. Still need to paint the alum, will hit the auto parts shop this weekend.
    Kept the baffle covers on, but that is a thought, may give it a test...

12. Jan 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    Bean&Cheese

Bean&Cheese Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
    I also did this horn relocation before I read your thread. I have a 09 and the temperature sensor is also hooked to the harness just after the horns. I was getting a 79 degree reading and it was in the low 60's today which says I need to find a way to mount the sensor inside the wheel well.

13. Jun 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    Do you paint them with the high temp paint or just regular?

14. Jun 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Here is my setup

15. Jun 11, 2009 at 10:22 PM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    Nice, I wanna do this!

16. Jun 12, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

I don't think so...someone actually did a sound test and found them to be identicle at 125db. It's in a thread on here somewhere...

17. Jun 12, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Did anyone figure out a solution to mounting the air temp sensor?

18. Aug 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust

Are you sure that is a relay and not the air bag sensor?

19. Aug 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    Mike27t

Mike27t Well-Known Member

Member:
    I relocated the horns to the same location last week. Im moving it somewhere closer to the front asap. The horn sound like crap inside the cabin since its so much closer to the driver. Almost feels like the dash vibrates when I honk.

As for the sensor, I spliced into the tape holding horn and sensor wires together and left it in the front.

20. Aug 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    I really dont want to splice into the wires. So I moved it back to where the horn is now. but I just dont want it to inadvertently set some safety device off such as the airbag or a lock down of the engine if it over heats. It would be reassuring if I knew exactly what it was and if it was safe to move.

Products Discussed in

To Top