1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blu Logic in a 2010 TRD with XM and non JBL OEM Radio

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kanfoush, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Jun 14, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    kanfoush

kanfoush [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab
    I have done a lot of searching on the compatability of the Blu Logic Bluetooth kits in a 2010 TRD with the XM radio module and the non JBL OEM radio. I am seeing conflicting posts regarding compatibility of the Blu Logic unit with the XM module. Are there different Blu Logic units that are compatibile with the XM module ?

1) Can someone confirm if I can put this in my truck (part number of kit ?)

2) If this can be installed how do I put in the control button since all the knockouts on the left side of the wheel are filled ? Is the small button option that I have read about for one of the unused knockouts in the center console near the cigarette lighter ?

3) If the Blu Logic unit cannot be installed in my truck any other suggestions ?

Sorry for the duplication of other posts, I just can't get a clear picture of what I need.

Thanks.

Dan

2. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Can anyone confirm if there is a way to put the Blu Logic unit in my truck AND be compatabile with my XM radio ?

Thanks.

Dan

3. Jun 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Since no one replied I wanted to followup with what I did and how I made out.

I ended up ordering the PT923-00112 Blu Logic unit (it comes with the large button) and also the Small Button PT923-00090-SW. This was needed because I have an offroad TRD and the only switch blank is in the center console between the AUX and A-TRAC knockouts and it is smaller than the knockouts found on the dash to the left side of the steering wheel.

Installation was very easy. I decided to route the mic cable up the right roof post and slipped the wire between the headliner and the windshield. It was not necessary to remove the liner. I placed the mic on the front of the black mirror support that is on the windshield.

I only had to remove the climate control panel, the radio, the glove box and the right roof post. It was NOT necessary to remove the center console. You can reach in and release the blank plate where the switch goes. The whole installation took about 1 hour.

THERE IS NO CONFLICT WITH THE XM RADIO MODULE IN MY TRUCK. THE SYSTEM SEEMS TO WORK WELL.

4. Jun 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    Care to post pics? Can you see the wire coming out of the liner down to the mirror? Where does the main unit mount - behind stereo? Just picked up a new '11 Taco PreRunner this past week and am interested in doing the same. How much did you pay for the kit if you don't mind me asking?

Shane

5. Jun 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I'm not trying to sound like an ass here, but why do people buy hundreds of dollars in adapters and other kits just to modify an OEM radio.

I just spent 150 on a radio that gave me BT Calling, BT Music, Aux in, and depending on model, HD Radio OR XM. Oh and I have JBL.... the OEM radio is junk even in JBL. You can bring alot of fidelity out of these newer sound systems by replacing the head unit.

/rant

6. Jun 26, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    TheGreekIndian

TheGreekIndian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Some people like the stock interior look.

7. Jun 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    Ditto what Greek says. I fall in that boat. I'm 39 now. As a younger lad, I went all out for the aftermarket stereo's. I had the aftermarket deck, amps, subs, etc. I also find myself on the receiving end of a vehicle break-in on two occasions costing me a whole lot of dough. Prefer not to put myself in that situation again.

I'm not looking to spend hundreds. If what I've read from a few posts is correct, the Blu Logic kits can be purchased for less than $200. That makes it worthwhile in my book...

8. Jun 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    +1

I like the OEM look as well as OEM fit and finish, most aftermarket dash kits have horrid fit and finish no matter what brand you get! I have had few in my previous cars!

As well as the aftermarket head units being plain ugly with small buttons.

I have 2011 unit with 6cd changer and wma/mp3 playback, works great for me... Having 6cds loaded with mp3's I hardly ever run out of stuff to listen to!

9. Jun 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Ditto. I'm too old and too deaf to lay out $$$ on some fancy head unit I will never fully understand how to operate. I like the stock unit.

Ok, have to get back to listening to my talk radio show.

10. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    I struggled with the question of a new head or going with the Blu Logic unit myself. In the end I decided I wanted the stock look and didn't want to put myself at a greater risk of a break in. Where I live that is an ongoing problem unfortunately.

I ordered from https://www.toyotaoemparts.com/

Items Ordered:
    Item: BLUETOOTH LG BUTTON
    Price: $171.75
    Tax: $0.00
    Qty: 1
    Total: $171.75

Item: BLUELOG SM BUTTON S
    Price: $35.43
    Tax: $0.00
    Qty: 1
    Total: $35.43

-----------------------------
    Items Total: $207.18
    Shipping: $0.00
    Handling Fee: $0.00
    Order Total: $207.18

Looking at the picture you see about 1/4" of the microphone wire. I have been told it sounds pretty decent although I have not been called from the system.

I am still considering ordering the right side steering wheel buttons to see if I can interface them to the unit.

Dan

microphone.jpg

11. Jun 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Good luck with that - hope you're an engineer or good at tinkering. I would be very interested in any results.

I think it will be tough because the BluLogic unit makes use of the AVC-LAN protocol interface that also supports iPod, XM, or a CD-Changer. It appears to be a Toyota unique protocol developed with NEC documentation support (short read here: http://elinux.org/AVC-LAN).

While the steering wheel controls use whatever protocol Eclipse (Fujitsu 10) built into their products (maker of the JBL system headunits and Nav systems). My guess is not the same, but that guess has no basis in fact.

12. Jan 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Everything was working fine since my initial posts until a couple of days ago. The Blu Logic unit still works as far as placing calls but when I hang up the Blu Logic will not "release" the radio and go back to listening to the radio.

I am hoping it is a loose connector or something and will check that but does anyone have experience with this problem ?

IPhone 3GS BTW.

Thanks.

Dan

Products Discussed in

To Top